Plot problem.. ?? No sign at all

Discussion in 'Python' started by Ritchy lelis, Jul 5, 2010.

  1. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    hello guys..

    I'm new at python programming and i'm having some problems with a
    script that i have been developing for my final project of my
    graduation.

    I have a script that is supposed to make a plot of a
    "Residuo" (waveform) witch is an output of a ADC ( Analogic To Digital
    Converter) for the first stage of the Flash pipiline ADC
    structure.This script doesn't show any syntax errors but it doesn't
    show no waveform at all at the plot window.

    I'm worried about this situation so I came here looking for help since
    I am new to the Python language.

    from pylab import*

    Vref = arange(1, 20, 0.02)
    Vi = arange(1, 10,0.1)

    for i in Vref:
    for n in Vi:
    if n > i/4:
    V0 = 2*n-i
    elif (-i/4) <= n and n <= i/4:
    V0 = 2*n
    elif Vi < -i/4:
    V0 = 2*n+i
    else:
    print "Try Again"
    ##print V0
    plot (V0)boboz10

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 5, 2010

  2. Ritchy lelis

    MRAB Guest

    Ritchy lelis wrote:
    > hello guys..
    >
    > I'm new at python programming and i'm having some problems with a
    > script that i have been developing for my final project of my
    > graduation.
    >
    > I have a script that is supposed to make a plot of a
    > "Residuo" (waveform) witch is an output of a ADC ( Analogic To Digital
    > Converter) for the first stage of the Flash pipiline ADC
    > structure.This script doesn't show any syntax errors but it doesn't
    > show no waveform at all at the plot window.
    >
    > I'm worried about this situation so I came here looking for help since
    > I am new to the Python language.

    > from pylab import*
    >
    > Vref = arange(1, 20, 0.02)
    > Vi = arange(1, 10,0.1)
    >
    > for i in Vref:
    > for n in Vi:
    > if n > i/4:
    > V0 = 2*n-i
    > elif (-i/4) <= n and n <= i/4:
    > V0 = 2*n
    > elif Vi < -i/4:
    > V0 = 2*n+i
    > else:
    > print "Try Again"
    > ##print V0
    > plot (V0)boboz10

    Only the first 2 'if' conditions are ever true, so nothing is ever
    plotted.

    Also, I don't know what you're trying to do here:

    elif Vi < -i/4:

    because Vi is an array and i is a float. If Python ever tried to execute
    it there would be a ValueError exception:

    ValueError: The truth value of an array with more than one element is
    ambiguous.
    Use a.any() or a.all()

    MRAB, Jul 5, 2010

  3. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    On 6 jul, 16:18, Alan G Isaac <> wrote:
    > On 7/6/2010 8:05 AM, Ritchy lelis wrote:
    >
    > >  1 - "import numpy as np
    > >       import matplotlib.pyplot as plt"

    > >       In what help's me making the call's of the libraries that way?

    > http://bytebaker.com/2008/07/30/python-namespaces/
    >
    > >  2 - What's the instruction linspace means/does?

    >  >>> help(np.linspace)
    >          Help on function linspace in module numpy.core.function_base:
    >
    >          linspace(start, stop, num=50, endpoint=True, retstep=False)
    >              Return evenly spaced numbers over a specified interval.
    >
    >              Returns `num` evenly spaced samples, calculated over the
    >              interval [`start`, `stop` ].
    >
    > >  3 - Last but more important: "V0 = ... #create an array" if I
    > >  understood, there i'm supposed to introduce the for loop as in my
    > >  initial example. correct?

    > It is better to create your arrays without looping,
    > if possible.  But create it however you wish.
    > (Note than numpy arrays have a fixed length;
    > create a Python list if you wish to append to it.)
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Alan Isaac

    My intention with de for loop was to iterate each point of the arrays
    Vi and Vref at the math calculations. The V0 it's the result of the
    math expressions between the Vi and Vref. I can't just create one V0
    by a function set by parametters (i don't see how).

    Could you give a clue?

    Cheers

    Ritchy

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 6, 2010
  4. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    On 6 jul, 17:29, Alan G Isaac <> wrote:
    > On 7/6/2010 12:11 PM, Ritchy lelis wrote:
    >
    > > My intention with de for loop was to iterate each point of the arrays
    > > Vi and Vref at the math calculations. The V0 it's the result of the
    > > math expressions between the Vi and Vref. I can't just create one V0
    > > by a function set by parametters (i don't see how).

    > Unfortunately I cannot make sense of the code you posted.
    > Provide a detailed description in words (or psuedocode)
    > of what you are trying to accomplish.  Be very careful
    > and detailed is you want a useful response.
    >
    > Alan Isaac

    hummm...

    ok, i will try to make that detailed description. Maybe i have not
    been so clear because my inglish suck's :D
    However i have a tutorial and another document that my teacher gave
    me, i could send you it if you allowed me. It's the 2 best document's
    i've seen about ADC.

    Ritchy

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 6, 2010
  5. 2010-07-06 19:18, Ritchy lelis skrev:
    > On 6 jul, 17:29, Alan G Isaac<> wrote:
    >> Unfortunately I cannot make sense of the code you posted.
    >> Provide a detailed description in words (or psuedocode)
    >> of what you are trying to accomplish. Be very careful
    >> and detailed is you want a useful response.
    >>
    >> Alan Isaac

    > hummm...
    >
    > ok, i will try to make that detailed description.

    I can tell you why I do not understand from your posted code what you
    are trying to do.

    Firstly, I do not understand if you are trying to plot a surface, a set
    of curves, or a curve, or just a set of points? In your posted code, the
    plot command is part of the else clause, and my guess is that you never
    intend the else-clause to be executed at all.

    In your code snippet you loop over two arrays (Vi and Vref), compute a
    scalar value V0, and all plot-commands you issue are of the form
    plot(V0). This will probably draw a line of one point (for each value in
    Vi and Vref), which may not be what you want, and if it draws anything
    at all, then all points will be drawn at the same x-value, which is also
    probably not what you want.

    Secondly, how are the Vi and Vref related to your axes? I assume you
    want to plot all values you compute for V0, but as a function of what?
    When I use the plot command, I usually give it (at least) two arguments,
    where the first is the x-axis, and the second is the y-axis.

    After I have understood those things, the next question would be about
    the maths relating the Vi and Vref values to the V0 values, but I do not
    think I will understand those until after the above points are explained
    clearer.

    I definitely think your english is not a problem here.

    Johan

    Johan Grönqvist, Jul 7, 2010
  6. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    On 7 jul, 08:38, Johan Grönqvist <> wrote:
    > 2010-07-06 19:18, Ritchy lelis skrev:
    >
    > > On 6 jul, 17:29, Alan G Isaac<>  wrote:
    > >> Unfortunately I cannot make sense of the code you posted.
    > >> Provide a detailed description in words (or psuedocode)
    > >> of what you are trying to accomplish.  Be very careful
    > >> and detailed is you want a useful response.

    > >> Alan Isaac

    > > hummm...

    > > ok, i will try to make that detailed description.

    > I can tell you why I do not understand from your posted code what you
    > are trying to do.
    >
    > Firstly, I do not understand if you are trying to plot a surface, a set
    > of curves, or a curve, or just a set of points? In your posted code, the
    > plot command is part of the else clause, and my guess is that you never
    > intend the else-clause to be executed at all.
    >
    > In your code snippet you loop over two arrays (Vi and Vref), compute a
    > scalar value V0, and all plot-commands you issue are of the form
    > plot(V0). This will probably draw a line of one point (for each value in
    > Vi and Vref), which may not be what you want, and if it draws anything
    > at all, then all points will be drawn at the same x-value, which is also
    > probably not what you want.
    >
    > Secondly, how are the Vi and Vref related to your axes? I assume you
    > want to plot all values you compute for V0, but as a function of what?
    > When I use the plot command, I usually give it (at least) two arguments,
    > where the first is the x-axis, and the second is the y-axis.
    >
    > After I have understood those things, the next question would be about
    > the maths relating the Vi and Vref values to the V0 values, but I do not
    > think I will understand those until after the above points are explained
    > clearer.
    >
    > I definitely think your english is not a problem here.
    >
    > Johan

    hi Johan

    Thanks for the interest in my problem... really appreciate.

    About the plot draw it's a curve that it's a set of points wich it's
    the result of the comput of the Vref and Vi together. I don't know if
    i had to make a break instruction (like in other's languages) after
    the "If" instructions if i want the else-condition to be executed? ...
    (do you have some sujestions?)
    Anyway i have a picture of a tuturial that i found but in this forum i
    can't post it. That pic would show what a really want...

    Relatively to the axis, the Vi takes the x-axis and the Vref takes the
    y-axis.

    As i said, i have a good 2 pic of a doc that has the information about
    this ADC that i'm developing.

    I would appreciate more of your help, if you permit me i could send
    you those 2 pic and i guarantee that you would got the certain vision
    of the problem.

    I'll be waiting for your answer, i thing that you can help me.

    Cheers.

    Ritchy Lelis

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 11, 2010
  7. 2010-07-11 02:12, Ritchy lelis skrev:
    > On 7 jul, 08:38, Johan Grönqvist<> wrote:
    >
    > About the plot draw it's a curve that it's a set of points wich it's
    > the result of the comput of the Vref and Vi together. I don't know if
    > i had to make a break instruction (like in other's languages) after
    > the "If" instructions if i want the else-condition to be executed? ...
    > (do you have some sujestions?)

    I would have expected a code structure similar to this:

    (NOTE: This is a very inefficient solution, and not the one suggested
    earlier, but it is closer to the code snippet you posted originally, and
    it does produce a plot.)

    ----------------------
    import numpy as np
    import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    Vref = np.linspace(1,20, 100)
    Vi = np.linspace(1,10,100)

    for ref in Vref: # Loop over Vref and Vi
    for i in Vi:
    if i > ref/4: # Compute V0
    V0 = 2*i-ref
    elif (-ref/4) <= ref and ref <= ref/4:
    V0 = 2*i
    elif i < -ref/4:
    V0 = 2*i+ref
    plt.plot(i, V0, ".") # Plot one single point at x = i, y = V0
    plt.show() # Display the plot in a window
    ----------------------

    > Anyway i have a picture of a tuturial that i found but in this forum i
    > can't post it. That pic would show what a really want...

    Can you give a link?

    > Relatively to the axis, the Vi takes the x-axis and the Vref takes the
    > y-axis.

    To me this sound like you want to make a 3D-plot, as there is the
    x-axis, the y-axis, and V0. Is this correct? Is V0 on a z-axis?

    > As i said, i have a good 2 pic of a doc that has the information about
    > this ADC that i'm developing.

    I looked on wikipedia
    <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter>, and saw some
    figures. Is any of those similar to what you look for?

    I see that they have (Vi - Vref) on the x-axis, and the computed value
    on the y-axis.

    Regards

    Johan

    Johan Grönqvist, Jul 11, 2010
  8. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    On 11 jul, 13:28, Johan Grönqvist <> wrote:
    > 2010-07-11 02:12, Ritchy lelis skrev:
    >
    > > On 7 jul, 08:38, Johan Grönqvist<>  wrote:

    > > About the plot draw it's a curve that it's a set of points wich it's
    > > the result of the comput of the Vref and Vi together. I don't know if
    > > i had to make a break instruction (like in other's languages) after
    > > the "If" instructions if i want the else-condition to be executed? ...
    > > (do you have some sujestions?)

    > I would have expected a code structure similar to this:
    >
    > (NOTE: This is a very inefficient solution, and not the one suggested
    > earlier, but it is closer to the code snippet you posted originally, and
    > it does produce a plot.)
    >
    > ----------------------
    > import numpy as np
    > import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    > Vref = np.linspace(1,20, 100)
    > Vi = np.linspace(1,10,100)
    >
    > for ref in Vref: # Loop over Vref and Vi
    >      for i in Vi:
    >          if  i > ref/4: # Compute V0
    >              V0 = 2*i-ref
    >          elif (-ref/4) <= ref and ref <= ref/4:
    >              V0 = 2*i
    >          elif i < -ref/4:
    >              V0 = 2*i+ref
    >          plt.plot(i, V0, ".") # Plot one single point at x = i, y = V0
    > plt.show() # Display the plot in a window
    > ----------------------
    >
    > > Anyway i have a picture of a tuturial that i found but in this forum i
    > > can't post it. That pic would show what a really want...

    > Can you give a link?
    >

    > > Relatively to the axis, the Vi takes the x-axis and the Vref takes the
    > > y-axis.

    > To me this sound like you want to make a 3D-plot, as there is the
    > x-axis, the y-axis, and V0. Is this correct? Is V0 on a z-axis?
    >

    > > As i said, i have a good 2 pic of a doc that has the information about
    > > this ADC that i'm developing.

    > I looked on wikipedia
    > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter>, and saw some
    > figures. Is any of those similar to what you look for?
    >
    > I see that they have (Vi - Vref) on the x-axis, and the computed value
    > on the y-axis.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > Johan

    Hi

    Yes those fig look's familiar to me but for now the objective its to
    get that residue transfer function (1.5-Bit-Per-Stage Pipelined ADC).

    I found in http://amesp02.tamu.edu/~sanchez/ADC-pipeline_lecture.PDF
    there are some fig and explanations on page's 9-13. Can you take a
    look there please?

    Also you can take a look in http://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1023
    (I think there it´s more information than the first link i gave you).

    I'll be waiting for sujestions.

    Thank's

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 11, 2010
  9. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis Guest

    On 11 Jul, 17:39, Ritchy lelis <> wrote:
    > On 11 jul, 13:28, Johan Grönqvist <> wrote:
    >

    > > 2010-07-11 02:12, Ritchy lelis skrev:

    > > > On 7 jul, 08:38, Johan Grönqvist<>  wrote:

    > > > About the plot draw it's a curve that it's a set of points wich it's
    > > > the result of the comput of the Vref and Vi together. I don't know if
    > > > i had to make a break instruction (like in other's languages) after
    > > > the "If" instructions if i want the else-condition to be executed? ....
    > > > (do you have some sujestions?)

    > > I would have expected a code structure similar to this:

    > > (NOTE: This is a very inefficient solution, and not the one suggested
    > > earlier, but it is closer to the code snippet you posted originally, and
    > > it does produce a plot.)

    > > ----------------------
    > > import numpy as np
    > > import matplotlib.pyplot as plt
    > > Vref = np.linspace(1,20, 100)
    > > Vi = np.linspace(1,10,100)

    > > for ref in Vref: # Loop over Vref and Vi
    > >      for i in Vi:
    > >          if  i > ref/4: # Compute V0
    > >              V0 = 2*i-ref
    > >          elif (-ref/4) <= ref and ref <= ref/4:
    > >              V0 = 2*i
    > >          elif i < -ref/4:
    > >              V0 = 2*i+ref
    > >          plt.plot(i, V0, ".") # Plot one single point at x = i, y = V0
    > > plt.show() # Display the plot in a window
    > > ----------------------

    > > > Anyway i have a picture of a tuturial that i found but in this forum i
    > > > can't post it. That pic would show what a really want...

    > > Can you give a link?

    > > > Relatively to the axis, the Vi takes the x-axis and the Vref takes the
    > > > y-axis.

    > > To me this sound like you want to make a 3D-plot, as there is the
    > > x-axis, the y-axis, and V0. Is this correct? Is V0 on a z-axis?

    > > > As i said, i have a good 2 pic of a doc that has the information about
    > > > this ADC that i'm developing.

    > > I looked on wikipedia
    > > <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Analog-to-digital_converter>, and saw some
    > > figures. Is any of those similar to what you look for?

    > > I see that they have (Vi - Vref) on the x-axis, and the computed value
    > > on the y-axis.

    > > Regards

    > > Johan

    > Hi
    >
    > Yes those fig look's familiar to me but for now the objective its to
    > get that residue transfer function (1.5-Bit-Per-Stage Pipelined ADC).
    >
    > I found inhttp://amesp02.tamu.edu/~sanchez/ADC-pipeline_lecture.PDF
    > there are some fig and explanations on page's 9-13. Can you take a
    > look there please?
    >
    > Also you can take a look inhttp://www.maxim-ic.com/app-notes/index.mvp/id/1023
    > (I think there it´s more information than the first link i gave you).
    >
    > I'll be waiting for sujestions.
    >
    > Thank's- Ocultar texto citado -
    >
    > - Mostrar texto citado -

    hi

    This is how looks like the flash residue transference function that i
    was talking about...

    http://www.iadc.ca/Imran_ADC_tutorial_files/image048.gif

    I'm suposed to obtain a figure like that in my plot.

    Somebody help me please.

    Cheers

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 13, 2010
  10. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 13, 2010
  11. Ritchy lelis

    Ritchy lelis, Jul 13, 2010
  12. Hi Ritchy,

    This is the first time I am doing this, but it's a standard response
    given on lists like this.

    2010-07-13 18:17, Ritchy lelis skrev:
    > This is how looks like the flash residue transference function that i
    > was talking about...
    >
    > http://www.iadc.ca/Imran_ADC_tutorial_files/image048.gif
    >
    > I'm suposed to obtain a figure like that in my plot.

    From the hints you have been given, and your answers to those hints, my
    conclusion is that the issue is not with the programming, but with your
    understanding of the problem.

    I get the feeling you do not understand what you are trying to do, and
    therefore our programming hints do not help you.

    Based on the "we will not do your homework"-principle, I will therefore
    not read up on your theory, and therefore not produce your plot for you.
    That will not change until you show better understanding for the plot
    you are trying to generate.

    Regards

    Johan

    Johan Grönqvist, Jul 16, 2010