Plotting points to screen

Jason

If I'm wanting to plot points to the screen (nothing fancy at all for
the moment), would you recommend PyGame, PyOpenGL or PIL?

Like I said, it's nothing complicated, no flashing wotsits or 3d
quad-linear vertexes with bi-linear real-time shading, just simple
'points' a few lines or circles and nothing more.

jay graves

I've used both pygame and PIL for this in the past. (i'm plotting a
non-standard 3d data format from a in-house app)
Pygame was nice because I put a key handler in to reload the file and
do a little zooming/panning and when I wanted to save a particular plot
I would just use a screen capture program.
Then I upgraded my harddrive and didn't re-install PyGame. The next
time I had to plot some data, I tweaked my script to use PIL. I ended
up liking this solution better. I could easily create large images
(bigger than physical screen which was a limiting factor in PyGame) and
used a regular image viewer to pan and shrink/zoom. I had the drawing
portions of my script well separated from the data parsing and
manipulation so tweaking the script was simple.

YMMV, but PIL was the best way for me.

jay graves

Jason

jay said:
I've used both pygame and PIL for this in the past. (i'm plotting a
non-standard 3d data format from a in-house app)
Pygame was nice because I put a key handler in to reload the file and
do a little zooming/panning and when I wanted to save a particular plot
I would just use a screen capture program.
Then I upgraded my harddrive and didn't re-install PyGame. The next
time I had to plot some data, I tweaked my script to use PIL. I ended
up liking this solution better. I could easily create large images
(bigger than physical screen which was a limiting factor in PyGame) and
used a regular image viewer to pan and shrink/zoom. I had the drawing
portions of my script well separated from the data parsing and
manipulation so tweaking the script was simple.

YMMV, but PIL was the best way for me.

jay graves
Thanks Jay.

One question, that's twice in as many days that someone has said "YMMV".

What's it mean!?