pls help me in finding solution of two problems

Discussion in 'Perl Misc' started by ashish.sachan@gmail.com, Jul 2, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Hi i m just starign with PERL..given two problems to solve ..pls help
    me in solving them

    1. Develop a shell and a perl script to run on a Linux machine. The
    script should
    take a quoted string as one required argument and one more optional
    argument as
    a starting directory. Default starting directory will be "/" (the
    root directory in
    Linux) if the second argument is not provided to the script. The script
    should
    recursively go through all files under the directory, check the type of
    file, and
    only for files that are not directories or binary files, search the
    file contents for the
    quoted string (first argument to the script). The script should print
    the "relative"
    path of the files (relative to the directory - second argument or
    default) in which
    the string specified in the first argument is found.

    2. Develop a shell and a perl script to print the process-id tree. The
    script should take
    one numeric value as argument. For example, if the script is run with
    argument
    12345, then the output should be a complete process tree showing the
    process
    having PID of 12345, its parent, grandparent, ... and also its child,
    grandchild, ...
    The output must show the PID, PPID and process name of each process in
    the
    process tree. Indented output for better readability is desired
    , Jul 2, 2006

  2. wrote:
    > Hi i m just starign with PERL..given two problems to solve ..pls help
    > me in solving them
    >
    > 1. Develop a shell and a perl script to run on a Linux machine. The
    > script should

    [...]
    > 2. Develop a shell and a perl script to print the process-id tree. The
    > script should take

    Do I smell homework?

    jue
    Jürgen Exner, Jul 2, 2006

  3. <> wrote:

    > Hi i m just starign with PERL..given two problems to solve ..pls help
    > me in solving them

    We would be happy to _help_.

    We would not be happy to do your homework for you.

    What part are you stuck on?

    What code do you have so far?

    > 1. Develop a shell and a perl script to run on a Linux machine.

    > 2. Develop a shell and a perl script to print the process-id tree.

    Do you think that someone who teaches Perl classes might read the
    Perl newsgroups? Aren't you afraid of being caught cheating?

    Does your professor approve of having someone else solve your
    homework problem for you?

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming
    Tad McClellan, Jul 2, 2006
  4. "" <> wrote in

    > 1. Develop

    We don't respond to commands well.

    > a shell

    Wrong newsgroup.

    > and a perl script

    perldoc -q difference

    We don't do your homework for you. However, if you need help along the
    way, the best way to get is to first read the posting guidelines for
    this group, then come up with your best attempt, and post it here in
    accordance with the posting guidelines.

    Otherwise, you'll get killfiled by a lot of people.

    Sinan

    --
    A. Sinan Unur <>

    A. Sinan Unur, Jul 2, 2006