pointer arithmetic

jdcrief

I have all of this program working except for the pointer arithmetic
part, I think. This program should average the student's grades
together using pointer arithmetic and then display the student's and
their average grade. I do know that I will need to delete the array to
avoid a memory leak, but I am stuck on this part of the program. I am
open to any suggestions.

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <stdio.h>

using std::cin;
using std::cout;
using std::endl;

int main ()
{
int max;
int index;
int result;
int sum;
int avg;

cout<<"How many grades will you be entering? ";
cin>>max;

for (index = 0; index < max; index++)
{
cout << "\nPlease Enter Grades: ";

// store value into numbers array

cin >>numbers[index];

cout<<index+1<<". "<<numbers[index]<<endl;

sum =sum +numbers[index];
}

cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Total: "<<sum;

avg = sum/max;

cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Average: "<<avg<<endl;

return 0;

Victor Bazarov

jdcrief said:
[...]

I am looking and I am looking... And I can't find "numbers" anywhere
before this line. Did you forget to define it?
cout<<index+1<<". "<<numbers[index]<<endl;

sum =sum +numbers[index];
}

cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Total: "<<sum;

avg = sum/max;

cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Average: "<<avg<<endl;

return 0;

David Harmon

On 30 Aug 2006 18:30:42 -0700 in comp.lang.c++, "jdcrief"
I have all of this program working except for the pointer arithmetic
part, I think. This program should average the student's grades
together using pointer arithmetic and then display the student's and
their average grade.

Is the "pointer arithmetic" mandated by a school assignment?
Because otherwise, as you have probably noticed, you have no need of
such a thing just to compute the average. And indeed, you have none
if it in the code sample you posted.
I do know that I will need to delete the array to
avoid a memory leak,

You should delete everything you new, but you didn't do that either
yet.

A real C++ programmer would certainly choose std::vector over
pointer arithmetic and new and delete if at all possible.
cout<<"How many grades will you be entering? ";
cin>>max;

This makes things tedious for your user; preferably something like

while(cin >> grade) {
++max; // count it

jdcrief

Thanks David...you are right, i'm not a "REAL" C++ programmer. Again,
thanks for you help.

jdcrief

Can anyone explain why this will run using the DevC++ compiler, but not
the Visual 2005 express?

// Name : John D. Moncrief
// Date : 8/25/06
// Description : Assignment 4 - Problem 2: Pointer Arithmetic
// Assignment/Problem : A4P2
// File Name : jmoncriefA4P2
// Course : Intro to C++ CS2244
// Instructor : Raymond Welch

#include "stdafx.h"
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::cin;

int main ()
{
int max;
int index;
int result;
int sum;
int numbers[index];
int avg;

cout<<"How many grades will you be entering? ";
cin>>max;

for (index = 0; index < max; index++)
{
cout << "\nPlease Enter Grades: ";

// store value into numbers array

cin >>numbers[index];
cout<<index+1<<". "<<numbers[index]<<endl;
sum =sum +numbers[index];
}

cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Total: "<<sum;
avg = sum/max;
cout<<"\nStudent's Grade Average: "<<avg<<endl;
return 0;

Thomas Tutone

jdcrief said:
Can anyone explain why this will run using the DevC++ compiler, but not
the Visual 2005 express?

// Name : John D. Moncrief
// Date : 8/25/06
// Description : Assignment 4 - Problem 2: Pointer Arithmetic
// Assignment/Problem : A4P2
// File Name : jmoncriefA4P2
// Course : Intro to C++ CS2244
// Instructor : Raymond Welch

#include "stdafx.h"

Delete the above line. You don't need it.
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

using std::cout;
using std::endl;
using std::cin;

int main ()
{
int max;
int index;
int result;
int sum;
int numbers[index];

The above line is not legal C++, but it is part of a gcc extension.
DevC++ is an IDE that uses gcc. What exactly is the above line
supposed to do? And exactly what value is index right here?

To avoid this problem in the future, always compile in gcc using -Wall
-Wextra -pedantic, which turns off the extensions and gives you most of
the useful warnings.

Best regards,

Tom