?pointer to cv void? points to the start of the storage location...

Steven T. Hatton

I simply don't get this one: § 4.9/2 "An rvalue of type ?pointer to cv T,?
where T is an object type, can be converted to an rvalue of type ?pointer
to cv void.? The result of converting a ?pointer to cv T? to a ?pointer to
cv void? points to the start of the storage location where the object of
type T resides, as if the object is a most derived object (1.8) of type T
(that is, not a base class subobject)."

Is it saying that the original pointer cv T t* might be pointing to
somewhere inside (offset from the starting address) of the complete object
pointed to?

Noah Roberts

Steven said:
I simply don't get this one: § 4.9/2 "An rvalue of type ?pointer to cv T,?
where T is an object type, can be converted to an rvalue of type ?pointer
to cv void.? The result of converting a ?pointer to cv T? to a ?pointer to
cv void? points to the start of the storage location where the object of
type T resides, as if the object is a most derived object (1.8) of type T
(that is, not a base class subobject)."

Is it saying that the original pointer cv T t* might be pointing to
somewhere inside (offset from the starting address) of the complete object
pointed to?

Yes.