Popup reuse in FireFox

Aaron

I am trying to reuse a popup in my application. The reused popup also
opens another popup. From this final popup I then try and reference a
function located in the window that origionally opened the reused
popup. This works fine in IE but doesn't in FireFox. Looking at the
code through the Javascript debugger in FireFox it tells me that the
reused popup's opener is closed even though it is still open. Is this
a bug with FireFox or just bad practice?

Thanks,

Aaron

Dietmar Meier

Aaron said:
reused popup's opener is closed even though it is still open. Is this
a bug with FireFox or just bad practice?

I can't reproduce something like that (Firefox 1.0.2/Win 32).

Here's a simple test case:
http://www.innoline-systemtechnik.de/dhgm/cascade.html

If you open multiple popups in that test case and don't close
any window along the way, don't you always get a list with the
window named "RootWindow" as the last entry?

ciao, dhgm

Aaron

Dietmar,

Thanks for your quick reply. The example you posted is not quite what
I am having the problem with. In the example you posted if you made
Popup 2 open in the same window as Popup 1, then on Popup 2 open Popup
3 in a new window and then checked the opener of Popup 2 from Popup 3
you should get the same problem that I am having.

Aaron

Aaron

My apologies I just set up a test similar to what you had done but with
the scenario I described in my origional posting. It looks like it
does work. Still not sure why it doesn't work in my application. I'll
have to keep digging.

Aaron

Aaron

I think I am going crazy. :) The example that I said did work in fact
DOES NOT work. I still do not have a
reference to the root window.
Sorry for the confusion, this bug is driving me nuts!!

A.

Dietmar Meier

Aaron said:
I think I am going crazy. :) The example that I said did work in fact
DOES NOT work.

Would you be able to post a link to that example?

ciao, dhgm

DU

Aaron said:
I am trying to reuse a popup in my application. The reused popup also
opens another popup. From this final popup I then try and reference a
function located in the window that origionally opened the reused
popup. This works fine in IE but doesn't in FireFox. Looking at the
code through the Javascript debugger in FireFox it tells me that the
reused popup's opener is closed even though it is still open. Is this
a bug with FireFox or just bad practice?

It is impossible to say without being able to actually examine the code
and test the page.

DU

Aaron

Dietmar,

Thanks again for your reply. I made the code changed you suggested and
I also ran my test pages through the validator you posted and fixed the
errors that I could and still no luck. I also tried the example you
posted but got the following error

Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property
Window.name

I also checked my version of FireFox and I am running 1.0.2.

Thanks,

Aaron

Dietmar Meier

Aaron said:
fixed the errors that I could and still no luck. I also tried the
example you posted but got the following error

Error: uncaught exception: Permission denied to get property
Window.name

Huh?

Did you use a freshly opened window (that had no opener coming from
another origin) for the test? That error normally indicates violation
of the same origin policy.

Would you re-check the example (I've added some error catching) and
tell what exactly is displayed in which window now?

ciao, dhgm

Aaron

Dietmar,

This is what I get for your example,

This window is named Popup2.
The problem was reported for this document.

Popup2's opener is named 'Popup1' and it's closed property is set to
false.
Popup1's opener is named 'RootWindow' and it's closed property is set
to false.

Not sure if this means the test worked or not since it says there was a
problem reported for this document. Having said this, the example you
posted still isn't following the same steps, like I have done in my
example, to recreate the problem. In your example you have a link in
the root window that reuses the popup whereas in my example the link
that reuses the popup is located in the popup itself.

Thanks again,

Aaron