Popup Window Problem AJAX

Mark Dodwell

When I try to use Ajax in a window openened by 'window.open('<url>');'
it doesn't work. There is no exceptions raised as far as I can see
(debugging with FireBug).

However, if I refresh the window once it has popped up it does work. Is
there something I'm missing?

Code in my popup window:
<head>
<title>Image Browser</title>
<%= javascript_include_tag '/admin/javascripts/prototype.js' %>
</head>
Search: <input type="text" id="search" name="search" />

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
new Form.Element.Observer(
'search',
0.5, function(element, value) {
new Ajax.Updater(
'items',
'/admin/browser/items?item_type=ImageAsset', {
asynchronous: true,
evalScripts: true,
parameters: 'search=' + escape(value)
}
)
});
//]]>
</script>

James Britt

Mark said:
When I try to use Ajax in a window openened by 'window.open('<url>');'
it doesn't work. There is no exceptions raised as far as I can see
(debugging with FireBug).

However, if I refresh the window once it has popped up it does work. Is
there something I'm missing?

You might do better to ask JavaScript questions on a JavaScript mailing
list.

--
James Britt

http://beginningruby.com - Beginning Ruby: The Online Book

ruby talk

Sorry I don't have time to mock this up and test my idea. Try moving

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
new Form.Element.Observer(
'search',
0.5, function(element, value) {
new Ajax.Updater(
'items',
'/admin/browser/items?item_type=ImageAsset', {
asynchronous: true,
evalScripts: true,
parameters: 'search=' + escape(value)
}
)
});
//]]>

below

Sbecker

Mark Dodwell

Thanks, but that doesn't help.

Is it something to do with a security issue that popup windows can't
make Ajax requests maybe? This is really annoying me!

Ta, Mark

ruby talk

If it works after you refresh the popup window then its not a security issue.

If you pull the ajax call out of the form observer, does it send a
message to the server when the page loads?

Sbecker