popup window using ASP and VBscript

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003.

  1. Hi everyone

    I am having a little problem with an asp page.
    I am trying to create a master/detail page, but on this occasion, it's only
    a small amount of detail, so i want to create a small page, for the detail,
    and have that pop up. something you would do for instance to show a link to
    a larger graphic on your detail page.
    It's obvious that i am doing something wrong, because instead of opening the
    new page, in the pop up, the main page moves to the detail, and the pop up
    window then opens up as an error.
    For example here
    http://www.tripak.me.uk/sublisting.asp?Item_ID=119&TexSpecID=34
    Clicking on a link there will give me the detail page, but not where i want
    it.

    This is my code from the master page, and the error is probably here

    onClick="window.open('nameofwindow','','width=100,height=100');return
    false"><%=rsSubListing("Grades")%></a>

    Could someone point out what i have done wrong?

    Thanks so much

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003

  2. Raphael Gluck

    Ray at Guest

    Try

    <A href="#"
    onclick="window.open('nameofwindow','info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting("Grade
    ID")%>',width=100,height=100)"><%=rsSubListing("Grades")%></A>

    Ray at work

    "Raphael Gluck" <iwish i could tell you @alas blame the spammers> wrote in
    message news:...

    Ray at, Aug 25, 2003

  3. Thanks
    I tried that, but it doesnt seem to work, I entered all this

    <A href="#"
    onclick="window.open('nameofwindow','info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting("Grade
    ID")%>',width=100,height=100)"><%=rsSubListing("Grades")%></A>

    And it just doesnt move. I can see an error triangle in the bottom of the
    web page, line 188 which doesnt contain anything to help me
    Have i misunderstood your script line? must i modify it?

    Please help

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  4. sorry if this a double post, but it doesnt look like it sent

    Thanks Ray
    my pages are in ASP and VBscript
    would that be possible cause or is that a silly question?

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  5. Raphael Gluck

    Ray at Guest

    The problem you're having has to do with javascript, not ASP. Try loading
    your page and doing a view-source and debugging the client-side code after
    checking what error the browser is reporting.

    Ray at, Aug 25, 2003
  6. Thanks Ray, But still not

    Can i ask you again are you sure this code is the correct one?

    <A href="#"
    onclick="window.open('nameofwindow','info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting("Grade
    ID")%>',width=100,height=100)"><%=rsSubListing("Grades")%></A>

    The error doesnt seem to be confined to one line, though the page displays.
    Maybe i need to tell you more.
    The page i am on is sublisting.asp
    The page i am trying to get to pop up is called info.asp
    When i roll over the mouse over the link, sublisting.asp?Item_ID etc...
    I know you're way better at this than me, but arent i supposed to see
    info.asp? etc...

    Do i need to insert something into the ahref tag? instead of "#"

    Please help

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  7. Thank you Adrienne

    I tried your script yesterday, but it gave me errors as you can see,
    I have just tried again, and now it's not giving me errors, but still not
    achieving its purpose

    It's opening the new page, but as a full sized browser window.
    It's because i am VB illiterate, I guess that's bad.
    I hope you can help me if you have a minute

    Thanks so much

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  8. "Adrienne" wrote:

    > What you need to do is:
    > <A href="info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting("Grade ID")%>"
    > onclick="window.open('nameofwindow','info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting
    > ("Grade ID")%>',width=100,height=100); return false" title="Open <%
    > =rsSublisting("Grade ID")%> in a new window" target="_blank"><%
    > =rsSubListing("Grades")%></A>

    Everybody keeps mixing up the order of the parameters in window.open():
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp

    Here's a better idea -- instead of "_blank", use TARGET="nameofwindow" and
    omit the [return false]. And use a more descriptive window name, for crying
    out loud. Your link should look something like this:

    <A HREF="info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting.Fields("Grade ID").Value%>"
    ONCLICK="window.open('','gradeDetails','height=100,width=100')"
    TITLE="Open <%=rsSublisting.Fields("Grade ID").Value%> in a new
    window"
    TARGET="gradeDetails"

    If scripting is defective or absent, this will open in a default-sized
    window named "gradeDetails". If scripting is functional, the properly sized
    (and named) window will be created with the click event, and will
    immediately be used as the target of the anchor.

    Tested successfully in the following browsers:
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
    Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2) Opera 7.11 [en]

    --
    Dave Anderson

    Dave Anderson, Aug 25, 2003
  9. thank you very much, i will try this option too.
    I appreciate it

    Raphael
    "Dave Anderson" <> wrote in message
    > "Adrienne" wrote:
    > >
    > > What you need to do is:
    > > <A href="info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting("Grade ID")%>"
    > > onclick="window.open('nameofwindow','info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting
    > > ("Grade ID")%>',width=100,height=100); return false" title="Open <%
    > > =rsSublisting("Grade ID")%> in a new window" target="_blank"><%
    > > =rsSubListing("Grades")%></A>

    > Everybody keeps mixing up the order of the parameters in window.open():

    http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/methods/open_0.asp

    > Here's a better idea -- instead of "_blank", use TARGET="nameofwindow" and
    > omit the [return false]. And use a more descriptive window name, for

    crying
    > out loud. Your link should look something like this:
    >
    > <A HREF="info.asp?GradeID=<%=rsSublisting.Fields("Grade ID").Value%>"
    > ONCLICK="window.open('','gradeDetails','height=100,width=100')"
    > TITLE="Open <%=rsSublisting.Fields("Grade ID").Value%> in a new
    > window"
    > TARGET="gradeDetails"
    > >

    > If scripting is defective or absent, this will open in a default-sized
    > window named "gradeDetails". If scripting is functional, the properly

    sized
    > (and named) window will be created with the click event, and will
    > immediately be used as the target of the anchor.
    >

    > Tested successfully in the following browsers:
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
    > Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.2; en-US; rv:1.4) Gecko/20030624
    > Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.2) Opera 7.11 [en]
    >

    > --
    > Dave Anderson

    Use
    > of this email address implies consent to these terms. Please do not

    contact

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  10. Thank you Adrienne

    Is it possible to help me with one more thing, can you show me where to
    place the screen. how can i specify the x and y coordinates.

    Thank you very much

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003
  11. well actually i did post to scripting.vbscript 24 hours ago, with not a
    single reply

    Raphael

    Raphael Gluck, Aug 25, 2003