popups on drop down menu

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ~deb~, Jul 13, 2007.

  1. ~deb~

    ~deb~ Guest

    I'm a beginner in HTML... I fiddle... and I copy code from forums etc that
    interest me to use on my blog. I've read a few HTML books but basically I
    am a newbie and haven't much of a clue really how a lot of things work.

    That being said I was hoping someone could explain to me what is happening
    with a drop down blog roll list I have created. I searched google for a way
    to include a
    drop down list so I could fit a large amount of links in a small space on my
    blog. It works fine but when you initally click on the drop down list it
    creates a popup to:
    http://drivecleaner.com/.freeware/i...1246255&mplx_cmp=swp_dc_common&ax=1&ed=2&ex=1

    I have looked at the code and cannot find any reference to it or a pop up at
    all. How is this happening and how do I get rid of it?

    Thanks for any advice
    Deb

    You can see my blog here: http://digitalgirl-designs.blogspot.com/ the
    blogroll is on the right hand side part way down.

    This is the code I have for it:

    <!-- Blog Roll & Other Stuff (in a scrolling box) on the main or archive
    page only -->

    <h2 class="sidebar-title">Blog Roll & Other Stuff</h2>
    <form>
    <select name="ArchiveMenu"
    onChange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">
    <option value="/"> Digi Scrap Shak Blogs </option>

    <option value="http://andreadesigns.blogspot.com/">Andrea
    Designs</option>

    <option value="http://scrapwhore.blogspot.com/">Athena</option>

    <option value="http://bellagypsy.blogspot.com/">Bella Gypsy
    Designs</option>

    <option value="http://caroleneale.blogspot.com/">Carole
    Neale</option>

    <option value="http://scrapbooksprinkles.blogspot.com/">Carrie
    Krotine</option>

    <option
    value="http://www.chellebelledesigns.blogspot.com/">Chelle Belle
    Designs</option>

    <option value="http://designsbydede.wordpress.com/">DeDe
    Smith</option>

    <option value="http://fabella71.blogspot.com/">Fabella
    Designs</option>

    <option
    value="http://fotosusu-sylvia.blogspot.com/">Fotosusu</option>

    <option value="http://dreamsinkdesigns.blogspot.com/">Georgia
    Oliver</option>

    <option value="http://hm-scraps.blogspot.com/">Helena
    Monteiro</option>

    <option value="http://sokkiesspot.blogspot.com/">Ilona
    Havenaar</option>

    <option
    value="http://www.brokken.net/ourdinnertable">Jannylynn</option>

    <option value="http://www.juliascraps.blogspot.com/">Julia
    Fialho</option>

    <option value="http://www.junianasplace.blogspot.com/">Junianas
    Design</option>

    <option
    value="http://www.kleopatra-scrap.de/">Kleopatra</option>

    <option value="http://lauraburger.blogspot.com/">Laura
    Burger</option>

    <option value="http://www.lauramcgee.blogspot.com/">Laura
    McGee</option>

    <option value="http://lovessdlu.blogspot.com/">Luiza
    Garay</option>

    <option value="http://manu-scraps.blogspot.com/">Manu
    Scraps</option>

    <option value="http://www.manudesigns.com/blog/">Manuela
    Zimmermann</option>

    <option value="http://www.scrapsational.blogspot.com/">Michelle
    Conrad</option>

    <option value="http://sarahs-scraps.com/">Sarah
    VanDyke</option>

    <option value="http://www.simplysherri.blogspot.com/">Sherri
    Tierney</option>

    <option value="http://terragina.de/blog/">Terragina</option>

    <option value="http://valoriebrown.blogspot.com/">Valorie
    Brown</option>

    </select>
    <select name="ArchiveMenu"
    onChange="location.href=this.options[this.selectedIndex].value;">
    <option value="/"> Favourite Designers </option>

    <option
    value="http://sweetmindy.typepad.com/mindys_sweet_life/">Mindy
    Terasawa</option>

    <option value="http://www.scrapadelic.com/shop/">Ronna
    Penner</option>

    </select>

    </form>

    ~deb~, Jul 13, 2007

  2. ~deb~

    John Hosking Guest

    ~deb~ wrote:
    > ...It works fine but when you initally click on the drop down list it
    > creates a popup to:
    > http://drivecleaner.com/.freeware/etc.

    Quite stupidly I clicked on this link (it being the first one in your
    poat), and quite stupidly I still had JS turned on at the time (left
    over from visiting another, known site).

    It started opening tiny windows, and issuing scary messages that I have
    adult content stored on my computer, and refusing to close windows when
    I click close, etc., etc. >:-(

    If I wanted to be mistreated this way, I'd visit some porn sites
    directly and at least get to gawp at some underdressed, underprivileged
    women. :-O

    I regret I won't be able to help you, because I will not be clicking on
    any of the other links in your post. Beyond which, my stark disapproval
    of this use of popups mean I wouldn't be inclined to assist anyway, even
    if I divined the technical solution.

    --
    John
    Pondering the value of the UIP: http://blinkynet.net/comp/uip5.html

    John Hosking, Jul 13, 2007

  3. ~deb~

    Neredbojias Guest

    Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Fri, 13 Jul 2007 00:44:14 GMT
    John Hosking scribed:

    > ~deb~ wrote:
    >> ...It works fine but when you initally click on the drop down list it
    >> creates a popup to:
    >> http://drivecleaner.com/.freeware/etc.

    > Quite stupidly I clicked on this link (it being the first one in your
    > poat), and quite stupidly I still had JS turned on at the time (left
    > over from visiting another, known site).

    Drivecleaner, huh. I've seen crap from them before. Another spam-and-scam
    outfit.

    --
    Neredbojias
    A self-made man who worships his creator

    Neredbojias, Jul 13, 2007
  4. ~deb~

    ~deb~ Guest

    Are you suggesting that I'm not sincere in my need for help? Because I am
    still no further in figuring out why it is happening... I didn't post the
    link to invade people with popups I asked why it was happening when there is
    no reference to it in the code. I came here for help obviously you
    "stupidly" clicked on something that you shouldn't have but I did say I was
    a newbie at html so I'm sorry I included the link but on my computer this
    link comes up as a blank page...

    ~deb~, Jul 14, 2007
  5. ~deb~

    John Hosking Guest

    ~deb~ wrote:
    > Are you suggesting that I'm not sincere in my need for help?

    No, no, not at all (although I suppose that would be a possibility.)

    > Because I am still no further in figuring out why it is happening...

    Well, I didn't offer you any help (not that I necessarily would have
    been able to). I bailed once I had the porn-spam-WARNING experience.

    > [...] but on my computer this link comes up as a blank page...

    Heh. You're lucky. ;-)

    Again, I'm sorry I can't/won't be of help.

    BTW, please don't top-post.

    John Hosking, Jul 14, 2007