porting curses driven to gui application

Theo Harlauch

Hi,

I'm quite sure if this newsgroup is suitable for my question but I'll
give it a try.

I'd like to port an application of mine which is currently just curses
driven to a guish one. For now, all users ssh(normal login and password)
to a linux server and start the app by typing its name on the prompt. So
they are all starting the same executable on the server. So I don't have
to bother with any remote database connections.

If I'm gonna change to a gui app now (e.g. qt), I'm not sure how to
handle database requests. For security reasons I shouldn't open the
database (Informix Online) to listen on any network interfaces (except
lo). Do I really have to write a sophisticated client-server application
then? Are there any other solutions? Maybe anyone here on this ng has
done such porting yet?

Thanks in advance,
Theo

Joona I Palaste

Theo Harlauch said:
I'm quite sure if this newsgroup is suitable for my question but I'll
give it a try.

Isn't there a "not" missing there somewhere?
I'd like to port an application of mine which is currently just curses
driven to a guish one. For now, all users ssh(normal login and password)
to a linux server and start the app by typing its name on the prompt. So
they are all starting the same executable on the server. So I don't have
to bother with any remote database connections.
If I'm gonna change to a gui app now (e.g. qt), I'm not sure how to
handle database requests. For security reasons I shouldn't open the
database (Informix Online) to listen on any network interfaces (except
lo). Do I really have to write a sophisticated client-server application
then? Are there any other solutions? Maybe anyone here on this ng has
done such porting yet?

Your question depends on non-standard extension libraries and is thus
off-topic on comp.lang.c. You'll have better luck asking over at
comp.unix.programmer or a Linux-specific newsgroup.

Theo Harlauch

Joona said:
Isn't there a "not" missing there somewhere?

Yup, sorry for that typo.
[My Question]

Your question depends on non-standard extension libraries and is thus
off-topic on comp.lang.c. You'll have better luck asking over at
comp.unix.programmer or a Linux-specific newsgroup.

Thanks for the hint, I'll head over to comp.unix.programmer.