Porting Suggestions: Lucene to Ruby; Perl Text::Balanced

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Mark Wilson, Sep 25, 2003.

  1. Mark Wilson

    Mark Wilson Guest

    Mark Wilson, Sep 25, 2003

  2. Mark Wilson

    Tom Copeland Guest

    On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:48, Mark Wilson wrote:
    > If someone has the skill and interest, I think a port or adaptation of
    > the Lucene search program to Ruby would be very nice to have. I have
    > the interest but not the skill.
    >
    > Information about Lucene can be found at:
    >
    > http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html

    There's rucene:

    http://rubyforge.org/projects/rucene/

    But I'm not sure how far Erik has gotten with it yet...

    Yours,

    tom
    Tom Copeland, Sep 25, 2003

  3. Mark Wilson

    Robert Feldt Guest

    Tom Copeland <> skrev den Fri, 26 Sep 2003 03:07:15 +0900:

    > On Thu, 2003-09-25 at 12:48, Mark Wilson wrote:
    >> If someone has the skill and interest, I think a port or adaptation of the Lucene search program to Ruby would be very nice to have. I have the interest but not the skill.
    >>
    >> Information about Lucene can be found at:
    >>
    >> http://jakarta.apache.org/lucene/docs/index.html

    > There's rucene:
    >
    > http://rubyforge.org/projects/rucene/
    >
    > But I'm not sure how far Erik has gotten with it yet...

    I also have a start of a port but not the time to complete it.
    If someone intends to work on a Ruby lucene I can probably
    dig it out and pass the code over. Don't remember how close to complete it is.

    Lucene is powerful stuff. For many needs I think a Ruby Lucene
    to index objects that are then saved in a straight array
    (or via Madeleine + cache) would beat SQL db solutions any day.
    I've never quite understood why you should have to prespecify
    the form of your db objects. Why not allow max flexibility
    and simple do deep indexing with something à la Lucene? (Well, I *can* think of some reasons but for the general case... ;) )

    Regards,

    Robert
    Robert Feldt, Sep 25, 2003