Possible change to logging.handlers.SysLogHandler

Discussion in 'Python' started by Vinay Sajip, Apr 6, 2012.

  1. Vinay Sajip

    Vinay Sajip Guest

    There is a problem with the way logging.handlers.SysLogHandler works
    when presented with Unicode messages. According to RFC 5424, Unicode
    is supposed to be sent encoded as UTF-8 and preceded by a BOM.
    However, the current handler implementation puts the BOM at the start
    of the formatted message, and this is wrong in scenarios where you
    want to put some additional structured data in front of the
    unstructured message part; the BOM is supposed to go after the
    structured part (which, therefore, has to be ASCII) and before the
    unstructured part. In that scenario, the handler's current behaviour
    does not strictly conform to RFC 5424.

    The issue is described in [1]. The BOM was originally added / position
    changed in response to [2] and [3].

    It is not possible to achieve conformance with the current
    implementation of the handler, unless you subclass the handler and
    override the whole emit() method. This is not ideal. For 3.3, I will
    refactor the implementation to expose a method which creates the byte
    string which is sent over the wire to the syslog daemon. This method
    can then be overridden for specific use cases where needed.

    However, for 2.7 and 3.2, removing the BOM insertion would bring the
    implementation into conformance to the RFC, though the entire message
    would have to be regarded as just a set of octets. A Unicode message
    would still be encoded using UTF-8, but the BOM would be left out.

    I am thinking of removing the BOM insertion in 2.7 and 3.2 - although
    it is a change in behaviour, the current behaviour does seem broken
    with regard to RFC 5424 conformance. However, as some might disagree
    with that assessment and view it as a backwards-incompatible behaviour
    change, I thought I should post this to get some opinions about
    whether this change is viewed as objectionable.

    Regards,

    Vinay Sajip

    [1] http://bugs.python.org/issue14452
    [2] http://bugs.python.org/issue7077