Possible to find ringservers in different subnets?

Christopher Aldridge

I walked through the following tutorial and discovered that RingFinger
from a client will only find ringservers within its subnet:
http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/rinda/ringserver.html

Is there anyway one could use this package on multiple networks?
Perhaps a properties file that lists hostnames that could be
potentially running ringservers?

It's difficult to find english docs on Rinda & Tuplespace :-(

I'm new to it honestly but find it hard to believe that it will only
work on one lan segment.

Thank you.

Eric Hodel

I walked through the following tutorial and discovered that RingFinger
from a client will only find ringservers within its subnet:
http://segment7.net/projects/ruby/drb/rinda/ringserver.html

Is there anyway one could use this package on multiple networks?
Perhaps a properties file that lists hostnames that could be
potentially running ringservers?

Easy way:

Place the ringserver on a machine that spans multiple networks.

Hard way:

Adapt ringserver to work with multicasting. A long time ago I had
received patches from somebody, but I forget who (and I don't think I
have them anymore).
It's difficult to find english docs on Rinda & Tuplespace :-(

Hopefully I'll be able to work on that after Rubyconf.
I'm new to it honestly but find it hard to believe that it will only
work on one lan segment.

Right, that's as far as broadcast UDP packets can go.

Christopher Aldridge

I'm glad to know that I'm not going crazy but it's unfortunate that
this isnt something already included.

Thanks for the prompt response!