Possible to test if file is open in another process?

Chris

Is it possible to test if a file is open by another process?

I don't want to lock the file. I just want to know if another process has it
open for any reason.

I'm using JDK 1.4, so NIO is available. I couldn't find any methods that
would do it, though. The closest ones I could find had to do with creating a
FileLock on a channel. But that doesn't help.

Marc E

maybe you could try renaming the file to itself. if the file is locked, it
should return false

Chris Smith

Marc E said:
maybe you could try renaming the file to itself. if the file is locked, it
should return false

No, that would depend on the operating system. Without cooperative
locking, there is no way to accomplish the requested task in a portable
way.

--
www.designacourse.com

MindIQ Corporation