    I hope that you can kindly answer my question.
    Best Regards;
    Hashem

    Ahmed Hashem, Nov 29, 2003

  2. Hashem,

    You could use iFrames. But they are IE compatible only.

    --
    Sincerely,

    S. Justin Gengo, MCP
    Web Developer / Programmer

    Free code library at:
    www.aboutfortunate.com

    "Out of chaos comes order."
    Nietzche
    "Ahmed Hashem" <> wrote in message
    > Hi All;
    > I hope that you can help me in replying to my question. I have a web form
    > that have many post backs to get data from the web server. Every time I

    use
    > one of those post backs all the page is posted back to the server(This is
    > not almost welcomes by the user). I want only the part only to be

    refreshed

    S. Justin Gengo, Nov 29, 2003

  3. Ahmed Hashem

    Alvin Bruney Guest

    Don't know where you got that div tag thing from. About the only thing you
    can do is either use an iFrame, which doesn't really solve the problem but
    puts a bandaid over it, or you can try turning on smart navigation which is
    supposed to refresh only the changed items on the screen. Even this works
    marginal for applications and it introduces a whole slew of other unwanted
    buggy 'features'.

    I'd recommend that you just get smart about roundtripping data. For
    instance, if you would cache some common data (stuff contained in dropdown
    lists for example) on one postback and bind it to controls then these
    controls would not have to post back to get that data as they would already
    be there - simple stuff like that makes for a pleasant user experience.

    Also, I don't think users really mind the postback if it is quick and there
    is not much delay. Users get pissed when it takes 5 seconds or more to make
    different selections in a drop down for example and with good reason. Get
    clever about viewstate, use server controls only when absolutely needed and
    cache data whenever possible using the four levels of caching provided by
    ASP.NET. Together, all of these improve the user experience, which is what
    counts anyway. It's easy to build a web application, it's difficult to
    master the skill of building a good web application.

    --
    Regards,
    Alvin Bruney

    Alvin Bruney, Nov 29, 2003
  4. Ahmed Hashem

    James Radke Guest

    Ahmed,

    What I have done to solve that very problem is to enhance my ASPX page with
    client side javascript. The client-side javascript calls a webservice
    function contained within my web/intranet site which retrieves the necessary
    data from the server, and then the javascript modifies the required
    client-side fields appropriately. This works fine for me in almost every
    instance. The only downside is that I cannot re-do a datagrid in this
    manner - that has to remain as a postback event.

    I have even taken to performing some client-side validation this way to
    eliminate the round-tripping / passing of data when the page contains a lot
    of information. This really makes the user experience much better as it
    eliminates the 'flicker' of the page while it refreshes, and makes the
    backgound commands execute faster.

    A great article that I used as the basis for my code can be found at:

    http://www.fawcette.com/vsm/2002_06/online/delcogliano/default_pf.aspx

    If you have any questions, let me know!

    Thanks!

    Jim