pre-loader

Brian

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
cross post

I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a "loading"
message.
I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page and
hide
at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.

I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

Brian

Martin Mouritzen

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
cross post

I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a "loading"
message.
I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page and
hide
at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.

I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

It seems like you're on the right track.

A common reason why it won't work is if you have mod_gzip enabled. You
can disable mod_gzip for a specific folder by having this in your
..htaccess

<IfModule mod_gzip.c>
mod_gzip_on Off
</IfModule>

You can see an example I made for a loading screen here:
http://siteloom.dk/~martin/loading/

J.O. Aho

Martin said:
It seems like you're on the right track.

A common reason why it won't work is if you have mod_gzip enabled. You
can disable mod_gzip for a specific folder by having this in your
.htaccess

<IfModule mod_gzip.c>
mod_gzip_on Off
</IfModule>

You can see an example I made for a loading screen here:
http://siteloom.dk/~martin/loading/

usage of mod_gzip is quite small nowadays and I don't think it's the problem
but the flushing of the output buffer in php.

Use ob_flush() to get out the data you want

<?php
/* header stuff and such */
/* head of HTML */
/* div for the waiting message */
/* javascript to enable div */
ob_flush();
/* do what you need to do with the mysql */
/* generate the rest of the page */
ob_end_flush();
?>

That could work for you, but I won't guarantee it will.

//Aho

Brian

J.O. Aho said:
usage of mod_gzip is quite small nowadays and I don't think it's the
problem but the flushing of the output buffer in php.

Use ob_flush() to get out the data you want

<?php
/* header stuff and such */
/* head of HTML */
/* div for the waiting message */
/* javascript to enable div */
ob_flush();
/* do what you need to do with the mysql */
/* generate the rest of the page */
ob_end_flush();
?>

That could work for you, but I won't guarantee it will.

//Aho

Thanks for your help guys, i will have a play and see what happens :)

Brian