Precision and VHDL2008

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by HT-Lab, Jul 20, 2010.

  1. HT-Lab

    HT-Lab Guest

    Hi All,

    For those that use Precision, the latest release has a bit of VHDL2008 support.
    You can read output ports, use the simplified sensitivity list and use block
    comments.

    /* block comments
    supported in VHDL2008
    */

    entity test is
    port( count : out unsigned(7 downto 0)

    begin

    process(clk)
    begin
    if rising_edge(clk) then
    count <= count + 1; -- VHDL2008 read output port

    process(all) -- VHDL2008 simplified sensitivity
    begin

    I also noticed that Quartus10 has some VHDL2008 support, does anybody know what
    is supported?

    VHDL2008 is happening very very slowly, now if only Modelsim could get its act
    together.......

    Hans
    www.ht-lab.com
    HT-Lab, Jul 20, 2010

  2. HT-Lab

    Tricky Guest

    On 20 July, 10:30, "HT-Lab" <> wrote:
    > Hi All,
    >
    > For those that use Precision, the latest release has a bit of VHDL2008 support.
    > You can read output ports, use the simplified sensitivity list and use block
    > comments.
    >
    > /* block comments
    > supported in VHDL2008
    > */
    >
    > entity test is
    >     port( count : out unsigned(7 downto 0)
    >
    > begin
    >
    > process(clk)
    > begin
    >     if rising_edge(clk) then
    >         count <= count + 1; -- VHDL2008 read output port
    >
    > process(all) -- VHDL2008 simplified sensitivity
    >    begin
    >
    > I also noticed that Quartus10 has some VHDL2008 support, does anybody know what
    > is supported?
    >
    > VHDL2008 is happening very very slowly, now if only Modelsim could get its act
    > together.......
    >
    > Hanswww.ht-lab.com

    Id say until Modelsim supports it people wont really start using
    VHDL2008 at all (apart from the 1993 versions of the float/fixed
    packages, that comes included with modelsim)

    Quartus has had some 2008 support since v9.1 (which came out last
    year.) Ive had it doing if/elsif/else generates and case generates,
    but according to their documentation V10.0 supports (this list is
    similar to what 9.1 said it supported AFAIK):

    â–  Block comments
    â–  Simplified sensitivity lists
    â–  Extensions to generate
    â–  Matching case statement
    â–  Matching equality/inequality operators
    â–  Enhanced bit string literals
    â–  Unconstrained elements in arrays

    So still no in built float/fixed package - it has to be brought in to
    each project, and you can only use the 1993 compatible versions.
    Tricky, Jul 20, 2010

  3. HT-Lab

    M. Norton Guest

    On Jul 20, 6:04 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    > Id say until Modelsim supports it people wont really start using
    > VHDL2008 at all (apart from the 1993 versions of the float/fixed
    > packages, that comes included with modelsim)

    Unfortunately this is true, though I understand Aldec's simulation
    package has far better 2008 support. I recently discussed the roadmap
    with a Mentor support engineer and their implementation roadmap
    stretches out to 2011a and 6.8. The only support that I know is in
    for certain right now is the encrypted source code. Personally I
    don't know why, of all the VHDL-2008 features, that was the one that
    got the initial support, but there it is. (Likely they had someone
    pay them for it I suppose.)

    And while I was pleased to see Precision start implementing it, it
    really doesn't make any sense to have different RTL for simulation and
    synthesis.

    The VHDL-2008 support for Modelsim exists as an enhancement request
    ticket. If you feel strongly like you'd use it, call up Mentor and
    ask to have your name and company added to the enhancement request.
    With enough interest, perhaps they'll move up their implementation
    timeline.

    Best regards,
    Mark Norton
    M. Norton, Jul 27, 2010
  4. HT-Lab

    dgreig Guest

    On Jul 27, 2:23 pm, "M. Norton" <> wrote:
    > On Jul 20, 6:04 am, Tricky <> wrote:
    >
    > > Id say until Modelsim supports it people wont really start using
    > > VHDL2008 at all (apart from the 1993 versions of the float/fixed
    > > packages, that comes included with modelsim)

    > Unfortunately this is true, though I understand Aldec's simulation
    > package has far better 2008 support.  I recently discussed the roadmap
    > with a Mentor support engineer and their implementation roadmap
    > stretches out to 2011a and 6.8.  The only support that I know is in
    > for certain right now is the encrypted source code.  Personally I
    > don't know why, of all the VHDL-2008 features, that was the one that
    > got the initial support, but there it is.  (Likely they had someone
    > pay them for it I suppose.)
    >
    > And while I was pleased to see Precision start implementing it, it
    > really doesn't make any sense to have different RTL for simulation and
    > synthesis.
    >
    > The VHDL-2008 support for Modelsim exists as an enhancement request
    > ticket.  If you feel strongly like you'd use it, call up Mentor and
    > ask to have your name and company added to the enhancement request.
    > With enough interest, perhaps they'll move up their implementation
    > timeline.
    >
    > Best regards,
    > Mark Norton

    SynplifyPro and Aldec both have seem to have complete 2008 support,
    the full set of IEEE libraries are provided and I have not yet found
    any problems. That being said I am working with a subset of new
    features that are pertinant to fixed point multi-dimensional DSP.
    Lattice now provide SynplifyPro(full blown Lattice version) and
    Aldec(slightly throttled Lattice version).

    Best Regards
    David Greig
    dgreig, Jul 30, 2010