Preserving the original URL in address bar after a redirect.

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by Lee Farrant, Dec 24, 2003.

  1. Lee Farrant

    Lee Farrant Guest

    I was browsing the web the other day and a website I had a look at
    redirected you to a different webpage but still preserved the original
    URL that was typed in the address bar on the browser (it didn't move
    or change at all) How is that possible? I would like to do something
    similar.

    The reason I am asking is because I want visitors to view a profile of
    a user like this

    myweb.com/fred

    this would have to be translated and redirected to
    mysite.com/profiles.asp?user=fred

    but I want the original URL address to stay showing in the address bar

    myweb.com/fred

    Lee
    Lee Farrant, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Lee Farrant

    Steven Burn Guest

    It's called "masking"..... check your IIS documentation for info.

    --
    Regards

    Steven Burn
    Ur I.T. Mate Group
    www.it-mate.co.uk

    Keeping it FREE!

    Disclaimer:

    Steven Burn, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Lee Farrant

    Bob Barrows Guest

    Lee,
    Thank you for cross-posting instead of multiposting, but I do not understand
    why you thought that .asp.db was an appropriate newsgroup for this question.
    It's got nothing to do with databases. You may have thought that you were
    enhancing your chances of getting an answer, but most of us regulars
    subscribe to both of these groups, so instead of making sure you got an
    answer, all you did was mildly annoy people who had to look at the same
    message twice.

    There are times when posting to multiple groups is appropriate. This does
    not seem to be one of them.

    Bob Barrows (posting from microsoft.public.inetserver.asp.db)

    --
    Microsoft MVP - ASP/ASP.NET
    "NO SPAM"
    Bob Barrows, Dec 24, 2003