Previous Level FilePath

Larry R Harrison Jr

If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the PREVIOUS
folder, how do I have it do that?

I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.

So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
path look like?

lostinspace

If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the
PREVIOUS
folder, how do I have it do that?

I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.

So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
path look like?

"../photo_pages/index.html" (without parenthenses)

SpaceGirl

Larry said:
If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the PREVIOUS
folder, how do I have it do that?

I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.

So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
path look like?

.../myfile

--

x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

Sam Hughes

"../photo_pages/index.html" (without parenthenses)

You used quotation marks, not parentheses :)

When pointing to a index.html file, it is usually prettier to leave it
out, with "../photo_pages/".

Art Sackett

Larry R Harrison Jr said:
If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the PREVIOUS
folder, how do I have it do that?

Assuming a unixish file system or an emulation of one:

The current directory is referred to as ./ but is optional.

The parent directory, one level "up" the hierarchy, is ../

The parent of the parent directory is ../../

See the trend? The parent directory three levels up is ../../../

So, to hit the file index.html in the directory two levels up from the
current directory: ../../index.html (or maybe just ../../ if, as is
true in most cases, index.html is considered the default index
document.)

Toby Inkster

Sam said:
When pointing to a index.html file, it is usually prettier to leave it
out, with "../photo_pages/".

Though "../photo_pages/" and "../photo_pages/index.html" might be two
entirely different files.