    So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
    photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
    path look like?

    Larry R Harrison Jr, Aug 19, 2004

  2. Larry R Harrison Jr

    lostinspace Guest

    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Larry R Harrison Jr" <>
    Newsgroups: alt.html
    Sent: Thursday, August 19, 2004 11:26 AM
    Subject: Previous Level FilePath

    > If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the
    > PREVIOUS
    > folder, how do I have it do that?
    >
    > I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
    > reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.
    >
    > So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
    > photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
    > path look like?

    "../photo_pages/index.html" (without parenthenses)

    lostinspace, Aug 19, 2004

  3. Larry R Harrison Jr

    SpaceGirl Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    > If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the PREVIOUS
    > folder, how do I have it do that?
    >
    > I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
    > reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.
    >
    > So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
    > photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
    > path look like?

    .../myfile

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 19, 2004
  4. Larry R Harrison Jr

    SpaceGirl Guest

    SpaceGirl wrote:

    > Larry R Harrison Jr wrote:
    >
    >> If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the
    >> PREVIOUS
    >> folder, how do I have it do that?
    >>
    >> I have been trying for HOURS--yes, HOURS--to figure this out, look for a
    >> reference on the Internet. I am totally stuck.
    >>
    >> So if I am in the photo_pages/files and I need it to "back up" to
    >> photo_pages (NOT under "files") and refer to a file there, what would the
    >> path look like?
    >>

    > ../myfile

    or rather ../myfile.htm

    --

    x theSpaceGirl (miranda)

    SpaceGirl, Aug 19, 2004
  5. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Sam Hughes Guest

    "lostinspace" <> wrote in

    > From: "Larry R Harrison Jr" <>
    >
    >> If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the
    >> PREVIOUS
    >> folder, how do I have it do that?

    > "../photo_pages/index.html" (without parenthenses)

    You used quotation marks, not parentheses :)

    When pointing to a index.html file, it is usually prettier to leave it
    out, with "../photo_pages/".

    --
    How to make it so visitors can't resize your fonts:
    <http://www.rpi.edu/~hughes/www/wise_guy/unresizable_text.html>

    Sam Hughes, Aug 19, 2004
  6. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Art Sackett Guest

    Larry R Harrison Jr <> wrote:
    > If I have files in a folder and I need it to refer to a link in the PREVIOUS
    > folder, how do I have it do that?

    Assuming a unixish file system or an emulation of one:

    The current directory is referred to as ./ but is optional.

    The parent directory, one level "up" the hierarchy, is ../

    The parent of the parent directory is ../../

    See the trend? The parent directory three levels up is ../../../

    So, to hit the file index.html in the directory two levels up from the
    current directory: ../../index.html (or maybe just ../../ if, as is
    true in most cases, index.html is considered the default index
    document.)

    --
    Art Sackett,
    Patron Saint of Drunken Fornication

    Art Sackett, Aug 19, 2004
  7. Larry R Harrison Jr

    Toby Inkster Guest

    Sam Hughes wrote:

    > When pointing to a index.html file, it is usually prettier to leave it
    > out, with "../photo_pages/".

    Though "../photo_pages/" and "../photo_pages/index.html" might be two
    entirely different files.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Aug 19, 2004