print code

Mark Parnell

How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?

Get them to use a browser that allows printing. Then they can use the
print option under the menu, use the shortcut icon on the toolbar, use a
keyboard shortcut, or any number of other ways the browser has built in
to allow them to print a page.

Neal

How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?

Well, most users will probably use the Print abilities of their browser.
Why bother adding a link?

Matthew Superstar Swass

Why bother adding a link?

Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large number of
computer dummies.

Sybren Stuvel

Matthew Superstar Swass enlightened us with:
Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large
number of computer dummies.

Then learn them to use the browser's print feature. That works on
*all* pages. It's a lot harder for them to remember which page had a
"print me" button, where it was, etc.

Sybren

Neal

Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large number of
computer dummies.

So teach them to use their browsers, not some special thing only your site
will offer.

The old give a man a fish thing.

Morris

OK! I got the message. I have seen pages with thr "print this page" on them
but I don't remember where.

Neredbojias

Without quill or qualm, Morris quothed:
OK! I got the message. I have seen pages with thr "print this page" on them
but I don't remember where.

My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Are you by any chance the
famed "Cat"?

Morris

??? Who's he? I'll tell you why I wanted to put "print this page'" on the
page. I have a page with a background picture. The page is about feild trip
dates. If I printed this page, I would also print the background. That uses
ink and I probably wouldn't print it. If the dates were in black and white,
I would print it as it uses less ink. I've added an inline fram to this
page. This frame is in black and white. The host page still has the
background. I want people to know that if they click on the fram page, only
the text on that page will be printed and the stuff on the host page will
not be printed. If I put "print this page" on the fram page, they are most
likly to print it. If I say nothing, they may right click on the host page
and print both pages or get lucky and right click on the fram page and print
the just the fram page. I know alot of folks who know little about computers
and they don't know about the right click thing. They just about know how to
turn on the computer. They need the help of their kids/grandkids to help
them.

[...]

Seems reasonable to me. You're always bound to get some dissenting
opinions here because usenet is usenet and people are people and
Australia is upside down and they don't even know it (heh heh).

One can make a special styling page for printing with css (media=print)
but I don't know a thing about it because I never wanted to do that and
css sucks, anyway.

You never heard of "Morris the Cat"?

Sybren Stuvel

Morris enlightened us with:
I'll tell you why I wanted to put "print this page'" on the page. I
have a page with a background picture. [...] If I printed this page,
I would also print the background. That uses ink and I probably
wouldn't print it. If the dates were in black and white, I would
print it as it uses less ink.

You can add specific CSS rules that only apply when a page is printed.
Look for the @media thiny in the CSS specs.
I've added an inline fram to this page. This frame is in black and
white. The host page still has the background. I want people to know
that if they click on the fram page, only the text on that page will
be printed and the stuff on the host page will not be printed. If I
put "print this page" on the fram page, they are most likly to print
it.

Yuck! What an incredibly ugly and clumsy solution! You see, your
"print this page" button tries to fix something that was broken in the
first place. You have to un-break it, not patch it with something else
that can break too. People just hitting their browser's print button
will get both "pages" in your "solution".
I know alot of folks who know little about computers

Then let them use the print button they already know, instead of
adding another one. Having two buttons that should do the same thing,
now _that_ is confusing!

Sybren

Morris

Yes, I know morris. I'm old enought to have seen him. There are alot of
interesting comments here. I kind of like what I have and so dose my group.
With the infram, we can have our group members print out the feild trip
dates and we still can keep out theme. Maybe, I'll put a note: "To print
this psge, right click here". This should make the little print box appear
on the right page. Maney of us grew up with computers and we worked with
them. We have an understanding of them. If you never knew computers and you
are up in age, Learning is hard. There's alot to learn and it takes time. I
know people .. I though they new somthing about computers.. who don't even
know what the clipboard is.
Sybren Stuvel said:
Morris enlightened us with:
[...]

Sooo.... your point is?

My point is: People spend more time on other sites than on yours. They
might have learned that to print a website, they can use their
browser's print button. Why do you insist on offering them another
way, a way that they aren't used to? It is confusing, especially for
people having difficulty learning new things.

Sybren

Morris

Good point but I don't want to print the entire page. I just want to print
what's in the frame. I decided not to use the inline frame. They can always
copy the text and print it with notepad if they know how to use it.

Sybren Stuvel

Morris enlightened us with:
Good point but I don't want to print the entire page.

So? Hide everything you don't want to print by setting 'display: none'
in the right @media section of your CSS.

Sybren

Lemming

Good point but I don't want to print the entire page. I just want to print
what's in the frame. I decided not to use the inline frame. They can always
copy the text and print it with notepad if they know how to use it.

Not wishing to be nasty, but who cares what *you* want? It's what
your visitors want that's important. Speaking as a user: In the past
I have resorted to copying and pasting text from a site in order to
print it, but those occasions are few and far between, and the content
has to be extremely good before I'll take the trouble.

Lemming