  1. Morris

    Morris Guest

    How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?
    Morris, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Morris

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:50:26 GMT, Morris <> declared in
    alt.html:

    > How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?

    Get them to use a browser that allows printing. Then they can use the
    print option under the menu, use the shortcut icon on the toolbar, use a
    keyboard shortcut, or any number of other ways the browser has built in
    to allow them to print a page.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Morris

    Neal Guest

    On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 03:50:26 GMT, Morris <> wrote:

    > How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?

    Well, most users will probably use the Print abilities of their browser.
    Why bother adding a link?
    Neal, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Morris

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Morris said:

    > How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this
    > page"?

    you're reinventing the wheel its going to be square.

    l i t t l e v o i c e s
    brucie, Nov 9, 2004
  5. >Why bother adding a link?

    Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large number of
    computer dummies.
    Matthew Superstar Swass, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Morris

    Spartanicus Guest

    (Matthew Superstar Swass) wrote:

    >>Why bother adding a link?

    >Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large number of
    >computer dummies.

    And you want to keep them dumb why?

    --
    Spartanicus
    Spartanicus, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Matthew Superstar Swass enlightened us with:
    > Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large
    > number of computer dummies.

    Then learn them to use the browser's print feature. That works on
    *all* pages. It's a lot harder for them to remember which page had a
    "print me" button, where it was, etc.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Morris

    Neal Guest

    On 09 Nov 2004 08:00:11 GMT, Matthew Superstar Swass
    <> wrote:

    >> Why bother adding a link?

    > Depending on the target market of the site, it may have a large number of
    > computer dummies.

    So teach them to use their browsers, not some special thing only your site
    will offer.

    The old give a man a fish thing.
    Neal, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Morris

    Morris Guest

    OK! I got the message. I have seen pages with thr "print this page" on them
    but I don't remember where.

    Morris, Nov 10, 2004
  10. Morris

    Neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, Morris quothed:

    > OK! I got the message. I have seen pages with thr "print this page" on them
    > but I don't remember where.
    > "Morris" <> wrote in message
    > > How can I have a page printed when a person clicks on "print this page"?

    My curiosity has gotten the better of me. Are you by any chance the
    famed "Cat"?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Nov 11, 2004
  11. Morris

    Morris Guest

    ??? Who's he? I'll tell you why I wanted to put "print this page'" on the
    page. I have a page with a background picture. The page is about feild trip
    dates. If I printed this page, I would also print the background. That uses
    ink and I probably wouldn't print it. If the dates were in black and white,
    I would print it as it uses less ink. I've added an inline fram to this
    page. This frame is in black and white. The host page still has the
    background. I want people to know that if they click on the fram page, only
    the text on that page will be printed and the stuff on the host page will
    not be printed. If I put "print this page" on the fram page, they are most
    likly to print it. If I say nothing, they may right click on the host page
    and print both pages or get lucky and right click on the fram page and print
    the just the fram page. I know alot of folks who know little about computers
    and they don't know about the right click thing. They just about know how to
    turn on the computer. They need the help of their kids/grandkids to help
    them.

    Morris, Nov 13, 2004
  12. Morris

    Neredbojias Guest

    Without quill or qualm, Morris quothed:

    > ??? Who's he? I'll tell you why I wanted to put "print this page'" on the
    > page. I have a page with a background picture. The page is about feild trip
    > dates. If I printed this page, I would also print the background. That uses
    > ink and I probably wouldn't print it. If the dates were in black and white,
    > I would print it as it uses less ink. I've added an inline fram to this
    > page. This frame is in black and white. The host page still has the
    > background. I want people to know that if they click on the fram page, only
    > the text on that page will be printed and the stuff on the host page will
    > not be printed. If I put "print this page" on the fram page, they are most
    > likly to print it. If I say nothing, they may right click on the host page
    > and print both pages or get lucky and right click on the fram page and print
    > the just the fram page. I know alot of folks who know little about computers
    > and they don't know about the right click thing. They just about know how to
    > turn on the computer. They need the help of their kids/grandkids to help
    > them.

    Seems reasonable to me. You're always bound to get some dissenting
    opinions here because usenet is usenet and people are people and
    Australia is upside down and they don't even know it (heh heh).

    One can make a special styling page for printing with css (media=print)
    but I don't know a thing about it because I never wanted to do that and
    css sucks, anyway.

    You never heard of "Morris the Cat"?

    --
    Neredbojias
    Neredbojias, Nov 13, 2004
  13. Morris enlightened us with:
    > I'll tell you why I wanted to put "print this page'" on the page. I
    > have a page with a background picture. [...] If I printed this page,
    > I would also print the background. That uses ink and I probably
    > wouldn't print it. If the dates were in black and white, I would
    > print it as it uses less ink.

    You can add specific CSS rules that only apply when a page is printed.
    Look for the @media thiny in the CSS specs.

    > I've added an inline fram to this page. This frame is in black and
    > white. The host page still has the background. I want people to know
    > that if they click on the fram page, only the text on that page will
    > be printed and the stuff on the host page will not be printed. If I
    > put "print this page" on the fram page, they are most likly to print
    > it.

    Yuck! What an incredibly ugly and clumsy solution! You see, your
    "print this page" button tries to fix something that was broken in the
    first place. You have to un-break it, not patch it with something else
    that can break too. People just hitting their browser's print button
    will get both "pages" in your "solution".

    > I know alot of folks who know little about computers

    Then let them use the print button they already know, instead of
    adding another one. Having two buttons that should do the same thing,
    now _that_ is confusing!

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Morris

    Kris Guest

    In article <>,
    Neredbojias <> wrote:

    > css sucks

    So did your sister, last night.

    --
    Kris
    <> (nl)
    Kris, Nov 13, 2004
  15. In article <4all.nl>,
    erlands says...
    > Neredbojias <> wrote:
    > > css sucks

    > So did your sister, last night.

    Good comeback. Man, why are you not in Vegas?
    --
    -=*Tn*=-
    Travis Newbury, Nov 13, 2004
  16. Morris

    Morris Guest

    Yes, I know morris. I'm old enought to have seen him. There are alot of
    interesting comments here. I kind of like what I have and so dose my group.
    With the infram, we can have our group members print out the feild trip
    dates and we still can keep out theme. Maybe, I'll put a note: "To print
    this psge, right click here". This should make the little print box appear
    on the right page. Maney of us grew up with computers and we worked with
    them. We have an understanding of them. If you never knew computers and you
    are up in age, Learning is hard. There's alot to learn and it takes time. I
    know people .. I though they new somthing about computers.. who don't even
    know what the clipboard is.

    Morris, Nov 14, 2004
  17. Morris enlightened us with:
    > Maney of us grew up with computers and we worked with them. We have
    > an understanding of them. If you never knew computers and you are up
    > in age, Learning is hard. There's alot to learn and it takes time. I
    > know people .. I though they new somthing about computers.. who
    > don't even know what the clipboard is.

    Sooo.... your point is?

    My point is: People spend more time on other sites than on yours. They
    might have learned that to print a website, they can use their
    browser's print button. Why do you insist on offering them another
    way, a way that they aren't used to? It is confusing, especially for
    people having difficulty learning new things.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 14, 2004
  18. Morris

    Morris Guest

    Good point but I don't want to print the entire page. I just want to print
    what's in the frame. I decided not to use the inline frame. They can always
    copy the text and print it with notepad if they know how to use it.

    Morris, Nov 15, 2004
  19. Morris enlightened us with:
    > Good point but I don't want to print the entire page.

    So? Hide everything you don't want to print by setting 'display: none'
    in the right @media section of your CSS.

    Sybren
    Sybren Stuvel, Nov 15, 2004
  20. Morris

    Lemming Guest

    On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 01:01:02 GMT, "Morris" <> wrote:

    >Good point but I don't want to print the entire page. I just want to print
    >what's in the frame. I decided not to use the inline frame. They can always
    >copy the text and print it with notepad if they know how to use it.

    Not wishing to be nasty, but who cares what *you* want? It's what
    your visitors want that's important. Speaking as a user: In the past
    I have resorted to copying and pasting text from a site in order to
    print it, but those occasions are few and far between, and the content
    has to be extremely good before I'll take the trouble.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.
    Lemming, Nov 19, 2004