print 'hello' -> SyntaxError: invalid syntax

Discussion in 'Python' started by ValdezDE@googlemail.com, Feb 7, 2008.

  1. Guest

    I try to install Python in a Dell D620 with XP PRO version 5.1.2600
    and I am getting this error. I assume that some dlls are missing but I
    installed form a fresh python-2.5.1.msi without errors msg.

    Thanks

    Roberto

    Python 2.5.1 (r251:54863, Apr 18 2007, 08:51:08) [MSC v.1310 32 bit
    (Intel)] on
    win32
    >>> import this

    File "<stdin>", line 1
    import this
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    >>> 2 + 2

    File "<stdin>", line 1
    2 + 2
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    >>> print 'Hello'

    File "<stdin>", line 1
    print 'Hello'
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax
    >>> help

    File "<stdin>", line 1
    help
    ^
    SyntaxError: invalid syntax

    , Feb 7, 2008

  2. On Feb 7, 2008 8:52 AM, <> wrote:
    > I try to install Python in a Dell D620 with XP PRO version 5.1.2600
    > and I am getting this error. I assume that some dlls are missing but I
    > installed form a fresh python-2.5.1.msi without errors msg.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roberto

    <snip>

    Sounds like a bad install.
    Try reinstalling, or re-downloading the installer and reinstall. Try both even.

    --
    Push the envelope. Watch it bend.
    Jon \Fluffy\ Saul, Feb 7, 2008

  3. ajaksu Guest

    On Feb 7, 12:52 pm, wrote:
    > I try to install Python in a Dell D620 with XP PRO version 5.1.2600
    > and I am getting this error. I assume that some dlls are missing but I
    > installed form a fresh python-2.5.1.msi without errors msg.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Roberto

    What is the install path? And what is your locale?

    What happens if you type "Ctrl + m" instead of Return after your input?
    ajaksu, Feb 7, 2008

    On Feb 7, 10:21 pm, ajaksu <> wrote:
    > On Feb 7, 12:52 pm, wrote:
    >
    > > I try to install Python in a Dell D620 with XP PRO version 5.1.2600
    > > and I am getting this error. I assume that some dlls are missing but I
    > > installed form a fresh python-2.5.1.msi without errors msg.

    > > Thanks

    > > Roberto

    > What is the install path? And what is your locale?
    >
    > What happens if you type "Ctrl + m" instead of Return after your input?

    Python is installed in c:\Python25 ans "ctr + m" produce the same
    error msg as Return.

    I did a new install and the problem is still there :-(

    thanks

    Roberto
    , Feb 8, 2008