Printed Documentation

Discussion in 'Python' started by floob, Jan 7, 2009.

  1. floob

    floob Guest

    I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses). I don't
    really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's
    glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
    in print form will do.

    I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
    screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution). Until eBook
    readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
    that I REALLY need to read and absorb.

    Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
    before shipping to get everything printed. Also, I would have to
    split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
    to do.

    Has anyone tried this before? Is the documentation already available
    in print?

    Thanks,

    drfloob
    floob, Jan 7, 2009

  2. floob

    excord80 Guest

    On Jan 7, 4:00 pm, floob <> wrote:
    > I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses).  I don't
    > really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's
    > glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
    > in print form will do.
    >
    > I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
    > screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution).  Until eBook
    > readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
    > that I REALLY need to read and absorb.
    >
    > Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
    > before shipping to get everything printed.  Also, I would have to
    > split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
    > to do.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this before?  Is the documentation already available
    > in print?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > drfloob

    http://docs.python.org/download.html

    I'd try taking the pdf to my local print shop and ask how much they'd
    charge.

    Local print shops have options for various bindings too.
    excord80, Jan 7, 2009

  3. floob

    floob Guest

    On Jan 7, 1:39 pm, excord80 <> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 4:00 pm, floob <> wrote:
    >

    > > I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    > > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses).  I don't
    > > really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's
    > > glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
    > > in print form will do.

    > > I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
    > > screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution).  Until eBook
    > > readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
    > > that I REALLY need to read and absorb.

    > > Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
    > > before shipping to get everything printed.  Also, I would have to
    > > split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
    > > to do.

    > > Has anyone tried this before?  Is the documentation already available
    > > in print?

    > > Thanks,

    > > drfloob

    > http://docs.python.org/download.html
    >
    > I'd try taking the pdf to my local print shop and ask how much they'd
    > charge.
    >
    > Local print shops have options for various bindings too.

    I tried 7 print shops in my area. Five refused to print single-run
    books (minimum quantity of 100). Of the 2 that WOULD print a single
    set of books, the cheapest was $250.00 (spiral bound, no covers, 8.5"
    x 11", cheapest paper available). That quote included roughly: the
    tutorial, library, reference, distutils, extending, and c-api pdfs.

    For that price, I could buy an eBook reader with plans to throw it
    away when I was done!

    Off on a bit of a tangent:
    if the Python Software Foundation could strike a deal with a
    charitable printing company, users could probably get a slight
    discount on buying printed documentation, and I'd bet Python's
    organization could get a small percentage of each sale. I believe
    ubuntu is doing something like this with Lulu.com. It'd be nice to
    support Python while doing something I was going to do on my own,
    anyhow.
    floob, Jan 7, 2009
  4. floob

    excord80 Guest

    On Jan 7, 5:14 pm, floob <> wrote:
    > On Jan 7, 1:39 pm, excord80 <> wrote:
    >

    > > On Jan 7, 4:00 pm, floob <> wrote:

    > > > I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    > > > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses).

    > > http://docs.python.org/download.html

    > > I'd try taking the pdf to my local print shop and ask how much they'd
    > > charge.

    > > Local print shops have options for various bindings too.

    > I tried 7 print shops in my area.  Five refused to print single-run
    > books (minimum quantity of 100).  Of the 2 that WOULD print a single
    > set of books, the cheapest was $250.00 (spiral bound, no covers, 8.5"
    > x 11", cheapest paper available).

    Oh, heck. In that case, I'd just take the pdf on a flash drive to my
    local Fedex Kinkos and use their self-server printing machines and
    print it myself. If you can get it to print double-sided, it should
    cost half as much.

    Then just 3-hole-punch what you print out and put it into a 3-ring
    binder. I've done this myself in the past for docs that I wanted to
    have on my shelf and it works great.
    excord80, Jan 7, 2009
  5. floob

    Tim Arnold Guest

    "floob" <> wrote in message
    >I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses). I don't
    > really care if it's printed on newspaper and bound with elmer's
    > glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
    > in print form will do.
    >
    > I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
    > screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution). Until eBook
    > readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
    > that I REALLY need to read and absorb.
    >
    > Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
    > before shipping to get everything printed. Also, I would have to
    > split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
    > to do.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this before? Is the documentation already available
    > in print?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > drfloob

    just a datapoint, but I used lulu.com to print the latex sources (525 pages)
    hardbound for a cost of $25 US.
    --Tim Arnold
    Tim Arnold, Jan 8, 2009
  6. floob

    Robert Kern Guest

    Tim Arnold wrote:

    > just a datapoint, but I used lulu.com to print the latex sources (525 pages)
    > hardbound for a cost of $25 US.

    Did they handle the LaTeX fonts well? The last time I looked at Lulu, they
    claimed that there were some font issues with PDFs made by LaTeX.

    --
    Robert Kern

    an underlying truth."
    -- Umberto Eco
    Robert Kern, Jan 9, 2009
  7. floob

    dr.floob Guest

    On Jan 8, 9:48 am, "Tim Arnold" <> wrote:
    > "floob" <> wrote in message

    > >I have been searching for a way to print the official Python
    > > documentation into some kind of book (for my own uses).  I don't
    > > really care if it'sprintedon newspaper and bound with elmer's
    > > glue ... any way I can get relatively recent _official documentation_
    > > in print form will do.

    > > I'm on the go a lot, and can't read for long periods of time on LCD
    > > screens anyhow (so having a laptop is not my solution).  Until eBook
    > > readers grow up a bit, I'm stuck trying to print the documentation
    > > that I REALLY need to read and absorb.

    > > Lulu.com is an option, but it would cost something around $100 US
    > > before shipping to get everythingprinted.  Also, I would have to
    > > split up some larger documents into Volumes, which I'd rather not have
    > > to do.

    > > Has anyone tried this before?  Is the documentation already available
    > > in print?

    > > Thanks,

    > > drfloob

    > just a datapoint, but I used lulu.com to print the latex sources (525 pages)
    > hardbound for a cost of $25 US.
    > --Tim Arnold

    That sounds about right for 525 pages. But the current A4-sized
    library reference pdf is 1207 pages alone, and I'm hoping to print /
    most/ of the docs.

    I managed to get a lot of the documentation (all but some howtos) fit
    into 3 books on Lulu. Python Docs LaTeX sources don't seem to be
    available anymore, and I haven't dug into reStructuredText yet, so I
    massaged the A4 pdfs to fit into 5.5" x 8.5" to drop the price.
    Choosing only the most inexpensive options (5.5x8.5, publisher grade
    paper, paperback perfect bound, etc.), the numbers came out as
    follows:

    Total Pages: 2024
    Book Cost: $37.87
    Shipping: $12.87 (MediaMail, untrackable)

    Total Cost: $50.74

    All in all, it's the least expensive option I've found, and about as
    comprehensive a set as you can get. It probably wouldn't work for
    people who can't read small print, though. A letter-sized (8.5" x
    11") set would cost maybe 1.5x as much, roughly $75.00.

    P.S. At two Kinko's near me, double-sided b/w printing was $0.59 per
    page, compared to Lulu's $0.015. 40x as expensive. THOUSANDS of
    dollars.
    dr.floob, Jan 23, 2009