    confines of the paper is.

    TIA
    Brian Tozer

    KiwiBrian, Oct 28, 2004

  2. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html KiwiBrian said:

    > On my web site I wish to display a line-art graphic for youngsters to print
    > and colour in.
    > I am reasonably comfortable with CSS and would like a pointer as to how I
    > can perhaps give the user a button on the page that will enable them to
    > print just the image and perhaps a table below it for their name etc.

    link to a "printer version" for them to print. all you need is a
    different style sheet using @media print and screen to display/hide the
    different bits to display what will be printed rather than rewriting the
    page.

    you could use the @media print on the same page but people get pissed
    off when something different to what they see on screen is printed. if
    you do at least warn them that the printer version is different.

    7 Media types
    http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/media.html

    > Naturally I want the printed image to be as big as possible but stay within
    > the printed page in one pass.

    width="100%" or width:100%; without specifying a height. the height will
    automatically be proportionally adjusted to match the width of the
    image. quality suffers if the 100% is too big.

    --
    #brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004

  3. brucie wrote:

    > you could use the @media print on the same page but people get pissed
    > off when something different to what they see on screen is printed. if
    > you do at least warn them that the printer version is different.

    Is that always true, Brucie? I get p***** off when
    I see a "printer-friendly version" link! My
    printer version is slightly different from my
    screen version, but I don't think that is a
    problem, rather a good thing as the fonts are
    changed from sans-serifs to serifs and the color
    to black only, for instance.

    --
    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Oct 28, 2004
  4. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:

    >> you could use the @media print on the same page but people get pissed
    >> off when something different to what they see on screen is printed. if
    >> you do at least warn them that the printer version is different.

    > Is that always true, Brucie?

    no always but the majority and you don't know which visitors are which.

    > I get p***** off when I see a "printer-friendly version" link! My
    > printer version is slightly different from my screen version, but I
    > don't think that is a problem,

    no one cares what you think, what do your visitors think? are they happy
    seeing one thing but something else is printed.

    > rather a good thing as the fonts are changed from sans-serifs to
    > serifs and the color to black only, for instance.

    i'm not saying its a bad thing having a "printer version" it is a bad
    thing to at least not warn the visitor that something other than what
    they see will be printed.

    --
    #brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004
  5. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html brucie said:

    > no always but the majority and you don't know which visitors are which.

    ^^ not

    dumb computer

    --
    #brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004
  6. KiwiBrian

    Lemming Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 12:40:52 +0200, Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen
    <> wrote:

    >brucie wrote:
    >

    >> you could use the @media print on the same page but people get pissed
    >> off when something different to what they see on screen is printed. if
    >> you do at least warn them that the printer version is different.

    >Is that always true, Brucie? I get p***** off when
    >I see a "printer-friendly version" link! My
    >printer version is slightly different from my
    >screen version, but I don't think that is a
    >problem, rather a good thing as the fonts are
    >changed from sans-serifs to serifs and the color
    >to black only, for instance.

    I tend to use a style-sheet with media="print" to use more
    printer-friendly colours and get rid of clutter such as navigation
    menus. Is this bad practice?

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

    Lemming, Oct 28, 2004
  7. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Lemming said:

    > I tend to use a style-sheet with media="print" to use more
    > printer-friendly colours and get rid of clutter such as navigation
    > menus. Is this bad practice?

    do you warn your visitors that what they see isn't whats going to be
    printed? do you know they want to print it in different colors? do you
    know they don't want the menu printed? do you even know why they're
    printing it?

    --
    #brucie{display:nude;voice-family:'many little';speech-rate:x-fast;}

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004
  8. KiwiBrian

    Lemming Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 20:56:07 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >In alt.html Lemming said:
    >
    >> I tend to use a style-sheet with media="print" to use more
    >> printer-friendly colours and get rid of clutter such as navigation
    >> menus. Is this bad practice?

    >do you warn your visitors that what they see isn't whats going to be
    >printed? do you know they want to print it in different colors? do you
    >know they don't want the menu printed? do you even know why they're
    >printing it?

    Hmm. The answer to all of the above questions is "No."

    Bad Lemming. No biscuit.

    I'll mend my ways. Thanks.

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

    Lemming, Oct 28, 2004
  9. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Lemming said:

    >>do you warn your visitors that what they see isn't whats going to be
    >>printed? do you know they want to print it in different colors? do you
    >>know they don't want the menu printed? do you even know why they're
    >>printing it?

    > Hmm. The answer to all of the above questions is "No."

    i rigged the questions

    > Bad Lemming. No biscuit.

    its ok. you can stay up and watch the rude late night movie.

    > I'll mend my ways.

    "thats kewl i wanna do that" is ok but you need to think of the
    consequences and ignore them if you want to or think of ways of working
    them to keep hopefully most of your visitors giggly whatever their
    preferences are.

    --

    v o i c e s o f t h e l i t t l e

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004
  10. KiwiBrian

    Lemming Guest

    On Thu, 28 Oct 2004 21:39:10 +1000, brucie <>
    wrote:

    >In alt.html Lemming said:
    >
    >> I'll mend my ways.

    >"thats kewl i wanna do that" is ok but you need to think of the
    >consequences and ignore them if you want to or think of ways of working
    >them to keep hopefully most of your visitors giggly whatever their
    >preferences are.

    As they say: "Every rule has an exception, except this one."

    Lemming
    --
    Curiosity *may* have killed Schrodinger's cat.

    Lemming, Oct 28, 2004
  11. brucie wrote:
    > In alt.html Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen said:

    >>>you could use the @media print on the same page but people get pissed
    >>>off when something different to what they see on screen is printed. if
    >>>you do at least warn them that the printer version is different.

    >>I get p***** off when I see a "printer-friendly version" link!

    I even updated
    http://home.no.net/ingernet/links.php#How
    yesterday with some more stuff that annoys me,
    which includes this...

    > i'm not saying its a bad thing having a "printer version" it is a bad
    > thing to at least not warn the visitor that something other than what
    > they see will be printed.

    Ok, I hear you... Now I have added a "warning" to
    the index page. But I still can't understand why
    that is necessary, what's the point in a making a
    stylesheet for print if the majority would rather
    press "PrintScreen"?

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen, Oct 28, 2004
  12. KiwiBrian

    Spartanicus Guest

    Inger Helene Falch-Jacobsen <> wrote:

    >> i'm not saying its a bad thing having a "printer version" it is a bad
    >> thing to at least not warn the visitor that something other than what
    >> they see will be printed.

    >Ok, I hear you... Now I have added a "warning" to
    >the index page. But I still can't understand why
    >that is necessary, what's the point in a making a
    >stylesheet for print if the majority would rather
    >press "PrintScreen"?

    Agreed, using our knowledge and experience we create content and a
    screen presentation based on our best guess of what users need/want
    without actually knowing. I see no reason not to apply the same
    principle to print content and layout.

    I'd expect users to be surprised about the print result from my pages
    because I rewrite relative urls to absolute, I drop all non essential
    content, navigation and formatting, but I don't regard that as a
    problem. I'd regard not doing so as a problem, although it's a problem
    the user may be familiar with, and they most likely don't even recognize
    it as a problem, it's still a problem that we can solve.

    And as you rightly remarked, in the unlikely event that the user doesn't
    want a printout of the content, but of the screen look there's always
    PrtScr.

    --
    Spartanicus

    Spartanicus, Oct 28, 2004
  13. KiwiBrian

    goodhart Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > In alt.html Lemming said:
    >
    > > I tend to use a style-sheet with media="print" to use more
    > > printer-friendly colours and get rid of clutter such as navigation
    > > menus. Is this bad practice?

    > do you warn your visitors that what they see isn't whats going to be
    > printed? do you know they want to print it in different colors? do you
    > know they don't want the menu printed? do you even know why they're
    > printing it?

    In my observations of users at my internet cafe the biggest thing that
    annoys
    users when printing is when half the content is cut of because of bad design
    methods,
    but the menus print perfectly. The few pages which remove the navigation
    and
    actually print so all the info can be read are a nice surprise, I have never
    seen a
    customer upset because a menu did not print.

    you can learn a lot watching people use public computers from complete
    novice
    users who need help opening a browser to regular users and self styled
    guru's.

    Cheers
    Trusylver - only a short drive away from brucie

    goodhart, Oct 28, 2004
  14. KiwiBrian

    Toby Inkster Guest

    goodhart wrote:

    > I have never seen a customer upset because a menu did not print.

    I must agree with you there. No matter how much you press the links with
    your finger on a printed navigation system, nothing happens.

    --
    Toby A Inkster BSc (Hons) ARCS

    Toby Inkster, Oct 28, 2004
  15. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html Toby Inkster said:

    > No matter how much you press the links with your finger on a printed
    > navigation system, nothing happens.

    what kind of crappy paper are you using?

    --

    v o i c e s o f t h e l i t t l e

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004
  16. KiwiBrian

    brucie Guest

    In alt.html goodhart said:

    > In my observations of users at my internet cafe the biggest thing that
    > annoys users when printing is when half the content is cut of because
    > of bad design methods, but the menus print perfectly.

    you cant claim you're an internet user until you've gotten pissed off
    printing only the left side of a site. its a right of passage.

    > you can learn a lot watching people use public computers from complete
    > novice users

    there was a guy recently at the local library getting walked through
    signing up for yahoo mail and it was a huge production. when he finally
    got to entering his name he discovered someone was already using it. it
    took about 15 minutes for the librarian to calm him down.

    "no sir just pick a different name, it doesn't mean someone has stolen
    your identity. really, someone else in the world has the same name as
    you do.... no we cant check to make sure. no, theres no need to get a
    new drivers licence or credit cards. i don't think we should call the
    police"

    etc etc

    i think those of us who were listening in were considering looking for a
    nice thick book to konk him over the head with.

    i admired the librarian for her patients but i think shes a good
    candidate to go crazy with a high powered rifle one day.

    > Trusylver - only a short drive away from brucie

    a short drive is 2hrs or less. gympie is 3hrs, you have to have 2 weewee
    stops and you're sober by the time you get there - which is never good
    in gympie.

    --

    v o i c e s o f t h e l i t t l e

    brucie, Oct 28, 2004