Printing issue when changing Web server

Reaction score
I had created an intranet site with IIS 5.1 installed on a Windows XP machine. Several pages print database info using PrintDocument code. (Some in VB and some in C#). I have since set up 2003 Server Standard Edition. I moved the Web site to the new server running IIS 6.0. Everything works fine, except for the printing procedures. If I attempt to print using Internet Explorer, I receive a message on the workstations telling me an error occurred but, for security reasons, it can only be viewed if I run the page from the server. When I run it from the server, I get a message telling me "No printers are installed." The message on the sever is probably related to an issue previously posted in this forum (ASP Net - Allowing ASP.NET user access to printers on server). However, that does not explain why other machines cannot print. There is one item I have had to change to make pages run on the 2003 server: The line "<authentication mode="Windows" />" had to be removed. This line was automatically generated by Visual Web Developer 2005 Express Edition and runs fine on the XP machine. Since the intent, long term, is to have these available over the internet, I do not want to continue to run them from an XP workstation. I hope somebody can shed some light on this for me. Thanks.

Reaction score
I eventually figured this out. Here is the issue/solution:
The server will only recognize printers installed as local printers. I am printing to a shared printer on a different workstation. I had to check the List in the directory box in security properties for the printer on the workstation. I then used net use to assign LPT1 to the shared printer. Then I installed a local printer on the server using LPT1 as the port.
this will only work in an intranet situation, because it does not select a printer from the client's printer list. For the time being, however, it will work for me.

Ask a Question