int main()
{
char data[5];
data[0] = 'a';
data[1] = 5;
data[2] = 'b';
data[3] = 10;
data[4] = 0;

for (std::size_t i = 0; i < sizeof(data); i++)
{
char ch = data;

if (isprint(static_cast<int>(ch)) != 0)
{
std::cout << ch;
}
else
{
std::cout << "\\" << std::eek:ct << static_cast<int>(ch) << std::dec;
std::cout << std::endl;

return 0;
}

// ------------------

Output:
a\5b\12\0

Is it possible to get the same or similar output without loop in the
program?

Thanks,

Alex

Saeed Amrollahi

Hi,

// --------------------
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

int main()
{
[...]

Hi Alex
One typical solution is, to define a
function object and wrap the if-else statement in
overloaded function call operator, then use for_each
algorithm instead of for loop. Something like this:

#include <algorithm>
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

struct Send2Output {
std::eek:stream& os;
Send2Output() : os(std::cout) {}
void operator()(const char ch)
{
if (isprint(static_cast<int>(ch)) != 0)
os << ch;
else
os << "\\" << std::eek:ct << static_cast<int>(ch) << std::dec;
}
};

int main()
{
using namespace std;
char data[5] = { 'a', 5, 'b', 10, 0 };
Send2Output S2O;
for_each(data, data + 5, S2O);
return 0;
}

HTH
-- Saeed Amrollahi

Victor Bazarov

Hi,

// --------------------
#include<iostream>
#include<iomanip>

int main()
{
[...]

I have very little experience in that field, but for some reason it
seems to me that a custom locale could help. On the second thought, you
could define your own "translating" stream buffer around the default one
that would stuff the default with a different set of bytes if the byte
to be output fits a particular pattern (falls in a particular range,
etc.) The latter method is probably easier since you could implement a
translating buffer with the translation functor supplied at its
instantiation, static (if you implement the buffer as a template) or
dynamic (if you implement it as a class with a translating function as
its c-tor argument, for instance).

Michael Doubez

Hi,

// --------------------
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>

int main()
{
[...]

There is James Kanze's filtering streambuf technique. I don't have it
right now because the last time I checked, his site on neuf.fr was
down.

But you can still use a hand made streambuf filter which wrap a
streambuf and use overflow function for encoding the output (defining
the relevant underflow is left as an exercise and is much harder):

class EncodedStreambuf : public streambuf
{
public:
EncodedStreambuf( streambuf* sbuf );

public: // decorates m_sbuf
virtual int underflow() ;
virtual int sync() ;
virtual streambuf* setbuf( char* p , int len ) ;

// encode output
virtual int overflow( int ch ){
if ( ch == EOF || isprint( ch ) ) return m_sbuf->overflow( ch );
// should encode - chech for usual \r\n... that shouldn't be
encoded
char code[5]="\\000";
ch|=0x00ff;
char* it=&code[4];
while(ch){
*it=ch&0x07;
ch>>3;
}
return m_sbuf->xsputn(code,sizeof(code)-1);
}

private:
streambuf* m_sbuf ;
} ;

Well, I hope you get the idea.
Then you can define EncodedStream that take in input a stream and
installs the wrapping streambuf in it upon construction and restore it
upon destruction.

Something like:
class EncodingOStream
{
public:
EncodingOStream( std::eek:stream& os)
: m_encoder(os.rdbuf()) // build EncodedStreambuf
{
os.rdbuf(&m_encoder); // install EncodedStreambuf
}
~EncodingOStream(){
os.rdbuf(m_encoder.streambuf()); // uninstall EncodedStreambuf

}
// ....
};

In the final code, you simply write:

char data[5];
data[0] = 'a';
data[1] = 5;
data[2] = 'b';
data[3] = 10;
data[4] = 0;

EncodedOstream os(std::cout);
std::cout<<data<<std::endl;

Now that I have given the hard solution, a simple solution if you
don't mind the overhead is:
std::string encodeString( std::string const & str )
{
// boilerplate for encoding string
}
and
std::cout<<encodeString(data)<<std::endl;

Stefan Ram

Saeed Amrollahi said:
for_each(data, data + 5, S2O);

That's a loop, too! It's a »for_each loop«.

A loopless solution would be something like:

::std::cout << "a5b120"

or so (I did not run the program of the OP, but one can
get the idea).

(Of course, one cannot print non-printable characters!)

Saeed Amrollahi

  That's a loop, too! It's a »for_each loop«.

  A loopless solution would be something like:

::std::cout << "a5b120"

  or so (I did not run the program of the OP, but one can
  get the idea).

  (Of course, one cannot print non-printable characters!)

Hi

Yes. you are right, for_each is a generic algorithm
that most likely is implemented using for or while loop.
It is a loop per se. But I guess the OP, likes to replace
an explicit loop by some implicit one, and my code did it.
In addition, his code has simple logic and mine isn't so
complex. I used combination of a generic algorithm and
a function object.

Regards,
-- Saeed Amrollahi

Michael Doubez

// --------------------
#include <iostream>
#include <iomanip>
int main()
{
        char data[5];
  data[0] = 'a';
  data[1] = 5;
  data[2] = 'b';
  data[3] = 10;
  data[4] = 0;
  for (std::size_t i = 0; i < sizeof(data); i++)
  {
        char ch = data;

        if (isprint(static_cast<int>(ch)) != 0)
        {
                        std::cout << ch;
                }
                else
        {
                std::cout << "\\" << std::eek:ct << static_cast<int>(ch) << std::dec;
  std::cout << std::endl;
  return 0;

// ------------------

Is it possible to get the same or similar output without loop in the
program?

[snip]

Another solution is the class wrapper:

class EscapedString
{
public:
explicit EscapedString(char const * str )m_str(str){}
protected:
char const * m_str;
friend std::eek:stream operator<<(std::eek:stream & os, StringEncoder
const & s);
};
std::eek:stream operator<<(std::eek:stream & os, StringEncoder const & s)
{
for( ....
// your code here
return os;
};

And you use:
std::cout<<EscapedString(data)<<std::cout;

Jorgen Grahn

.
There is James Kanze's filtering streambuf technique. I don't have it
right now because the last time I checked, his site on neuf.fr was
down.

I /think/ he wrote that particular site is permanently down.

James, please make that information available somewhere!
It's obviously of interest to some of us, or we wouldn't have
remembered it.

/Jorgen

Alf P. Steinbach /Usenet

* Alex Vinokur, on 18.05.2011 09:55:
Hi,

// --------------------
#include<iostream>
#include<iomanip>

Add relevant header for 'isprint'.

int main()
{
char data[5];
data[0] = 'a';
data[1] = 5;
data[2] = 'b';
data[3] = 10;
data[4] = 0;

char const data[] = "a\005b\012";

Or thereabouts. It's a long time since I used that silly octal notation. :)

for (std::size_t i = 0; i< sizeof(data); i++)

for( int i = 0; data != 0; ++i )

{
char ch = data;

char const ch = data;

if (isprint(static_cast<int>(ch)) != 0)

if( isprint( static_cast<unsigned char>( ch ) ) != 0 )

While the earlier things are mostly style, the type of this cast is important to
avoid Undefined Behavior. If you can guaranteee ASCII only data then it does not
matter, but then you don't need any cast. The correct type is 'unsigned char'
(with a subsequent implicit conversion to 'int').

{
std::cout<< ch;
}
else
{
std::cout<< "\\"<< std::eek:ct<< static_cast<int>(ch)<< std::dec;

std::cout << ch;
}
else
{
std::cout << "\\" << std::eek:ct << ch+0 << std::dec;
}

Please convert tab characters to spaces before posting.
}
std::cout<< std::endl;

return 0;
}

Output:
a\5b\12\0

Is it possible to get the same or similar output without loop in the
program?

There will be a loop somewhere.

The only question is how indirect and hidden you want it.

In general it's better with explicit code than indirect, hidden, implicit code.

Cheers & hth.,

- Alf