Problem installing Python 2.2/2.3 on Windows 98 SE

Discussion in 'Python' started by Rami A. Kishek, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Please help! Very strange installation problem.

    First, let me say I successfully installed and use Python 2.2.3 and 2.3
    from the EXE binaries on a win ME machine. That machine previously had
    1.5.2, and now I have access to all 3 versions. When I tried to do the
    same on an older machine, however, running Win98 SE (and having had
    Python 1.5.2 previously installed there), the installation doesn't work:

    Obvious problems:
    * IDLE doesn't start at all
    * Pythonwin starts, but dumps some warning virtually with every line.
    The long message below is an example of what shows up on startup.
    * The python win32 ext install differed from that of 2.2 in one
    respect: it complained about being unable to register the key of some
    Scripting thing. I compared the registry entries for this python and
    the pythons on the good (WinME machine), and there's no difference.
    (However, the MODULES key in Python 2.2 and 2.3 on both machines has no
    subkeys, whereas 1.5.2 has several).

    Anyways, I am perplexed, I see no reason why the installation from the
    same exe binaries should work on one machine but not the other. The Win
    ME machine suffers from none of the problems above. The only difference
    I can think of, of remote likelihood, is that the existing Python 1.5.2
    on the failed machine was in C:\Program Files\Python, and I tried
    installing Python 2.x in respective directories on D:\Programs. In the
    good machine, all are installed on D:\Programs.

    -----------------
    D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:455:
    DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
    self.currentView.dowrite(string.join(items,''))
    PythonWin 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    win32.
    D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:465:
    DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
    pos = string.rfind(message, '\n')
    Portions Copyright 1994-2001 Mark Hammond () -
    see 'Help/About PythonWin' for further copyright information.
    >>> D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\scintilla\IDLEenviro

    nment.py:207: DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use
    string meth
    ods
    if string.find(base,".")>0:
    D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\intpyapp.py:27
    3:
    DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
    modules = string.splitfields(moduleNames,",")
    Rami A. Kishek, Aug 19, 2003

  2. Rami A. Kishek

    Marko Komssi Guest

    "Rami A. Kishek" <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Obvious problems:
    > * IDLE doesn't start at all

    You mentioned below that you have installed it under C:\Program
    Files\Python. See the page http://www.python.org/2.3/bugs.html. It is
    a bug in Python.

    > -----------------
    > D:\PROGRAMS\PYTHON22\lib\site-packages\Pythonwin\pywin\framework\winout.py:455:
    > DeprecationWarning: strop functions are obsolete; use string methods
    > self.currentView.dowrite(string.join(items,''))
    > PythonWin 2.2.3 (#42, May 30 2003, 18:12:08) [MSC 32 bit (Intel)] on
    > win32.

    I had similar looking problem myself. I had e.g. the error message
    "strop functions are obsolete; use string methods" over and over
    again. The problem occured because I had left Windows Command Prompt
    open when installing newer Python version and editing path in
    environment variables from System Properties. Naturally, path was not
    updated for already opened Command Prompt and that cause the problem.

    Just in case, check that there is correct python path in environment
    variables. However, you need to reinstall Python in a different
    directory to handle the IDLE problem.

    --
    mko
    Marko Komssi, Aug 29, 2003