problem: Stream XLS to user via ASP page

Discussion in 'ASP General' started by CJM, Oct 12, 2005.

  1. CJM

    CJM Guest

    I have a page which streams an Excel spreadsheet to the user. It has worked
    fine for 12mths or more, but recently I found out that it wasn't working. I
    suspect the problem lies with IIS, but I'm not sure...

    When the user submits a form, the page should stream the file to the user -
    the user is presented with a standard Open/Save/Cancel dialog, which the
    would ordinarily save to their HDD. I have updoaded the code from the live
    server to my development machine (IIS5.1) - and this same code works fine.

    However, on the live server (IIS6), the user is presented with the dialog
    box, but rather than listing myfile.xls, it lists mypage.asp as the file to
    be downloaded.

    I think this must be an IIS6 issue but I don't know what. Some time before
    the problem was noticed, work had been done on the live server, but AFAIK
    nothing was done that was *intended* to affect this application.

    Any ideas?

    TIA

    Chris
    --

    [remove the obvious bits]
    CJM, Oct 12, 2005

  2. "CJM" <> wrote in message
    >I have a page which streams an Excel spreadsheet to the user. It has worked
    >fine for 12mths or more, but recently I found out that it wasn't working. I
    >suspect the problem lies with IIS, but I'm not sure...
    >
    > When the user submits a form, the page should stream the file to the
    > user - the user is presented with a standard Open/Save/Cancel dialog,
    > which the would ordinarily save to their HDD. I have updoaded the code
    > from the live server to my development machine (IIS5.1) - and this same
    > code works fine.
    >
    > However, on the live server (IIS6), the user is presented with the dialog
    > box, but rather than listing myfile.xls, it lists mypage.asp as the file
    > to be downloaded.
    >
    > I think this must be an IIS6 issue but I don't know what. Some time before
    > the problem was noticed, work had been done on the live server, but AFAIK
    > nothing was done that was *intended* to affect this application.
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Does any of this help?
    http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

    --
    Tom Kaminski IIS MVP
    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    Tom Kaminski [MVP], Oct 12, 2005

  3. CJM

    CJM Guest

    "Tom Kaminski [MVP]" <tomk (A@T) mvps (D.O.T) org> wrote in message

    > Does any of this help?
    > http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

    I'm not sure what the problem was but I solved it by re-doing the page using
    my original technique.

    However, before I tried that, I tried the approach recommended on ASPFAQ,
    which *didnt* work. I had the problem where the XLS was being downloaded,
    but with name of my ASP page. This is a recognised problem, but none of the
    solutions recommended of that problem in the MS KB articles worked.

    Since my page is now working I'm obviously not going to pursue it, but there
    was clearly more to that naming problem than the KB article suggested.

    Thanks

    Chris
    CJM, Oct 14, 2005