problem: Stream XLS to user via ASP page

CJM

I have a page which streams an Excel spreadsheet to the user. It has worked
fine for 12mths or more, but recently I found out that it wasn't working. I
suspect the problem lies with IIS, but I'm not sure...

When the user submits a form, the page should stream the file to the user -
the user is presented with a standard Open/Save/Cancel dialog, which the
would ordinarily save to their HDD. I have updoaded the code from the live
server to my development machine (IIS5.1) - and this same code works fine.

However, on the live server (IIS6), the user is presented with the dialog
box, but rather than listing myfile.xls, it lists mypage.asp as the file to
be downloaded.

I think this must be an IIS6 issue but I don't know what. Some time before
the problem was noticed, work had been done on the live server, but AFAIK
nothing was done that was *intended* to affect this application.

Any ideas?

TIA

Chris

Tom Kaminski [MVP]

CJM said:
[...]

Does any of this help?
http://www.aspfaq.com/show.asp?id=2161

CJM

Tom Kaminski said:

I'm not sure what the problem was but I solved it by re-doing the page using
my original technique.

However, before I tried that, I tried the approach recommended on ASPFAQ,
which *didnt* work. I had the problem where the XLS was being downloaded,
but with name of my ASP page. This is a recognised problem, but none of the
solutions recommended of that problem in the MS KB articles worked.

Since my page is now working I'm obviously not going to pursue it, but there
was clearly more to that naming problem than the KB article suggested.

Thanks

Chris