problem uploading ZIP file tp PyPI

Discussion in 'Python' started by John Machin, May 14, 2005.

  1. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

    I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as a
    "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:

    Error...
    There's been a problem with your request
    exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file

    I have managed to upload a Windows installer, and downloaded it again
    [but the download count is still stuck on zero].

    Any clues?
    John Machin, May 14, 2005
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. John Machin

    richard Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...


    Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.


    > I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as a
    > "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:
    >
    > Error...
    > There's been a problem with your request
    > exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file


    The *only* valid (perfectly OK) source file to upload is a Source
    Distribution as generated by the "sdist" setup.py command.


    > I have managed to upload a Windows installer, and downloaded it again
    > [but the download count is still stuck on zero].


    The download counts are updated daily (IIRC).


    Richard
    richard, May 16, 2005
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    richard wrote:
    > John Machin wrote:
    > > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

    >
    > Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.
    >


    Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
    messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
    not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
    could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

    >
    > > I'm trying to upload what appears to be a perfectly OK zip file as

    a
    > > "source" file type to PyPI, and am getting this response:
    > >
    > > Error...
    > > There's been a problem with your request
    > > exceptions.ValueError: invalid distribution file

    >
    > The *only* valid (perfectly OK) source file to upload is a Source
    > Distribution as generated by the "sdist" setup.py command.
    >


    Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:

    setup.py sdist --format=zip
    John Machin, May 16, 2005
    #3
  4. John Machin

    richard Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > richard wrote:
    >> John Machin wrote:
    >> > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...

    >>
    >> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.
    >>

    >
    > Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
    > messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
    > not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
    > could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.


    You mean the request you put in two days ago? Sorry I've not got around to
    responding yet. It was admittedly low on my priority list because you were
    the only person reporting the issue (out of hundreds of successful
    registrations). I will now fill in the details you've just provided (ie the
    input you used which broke the interface) so that when I get around to
    fixing it I'll know what I'm looking for.


    > Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:
    >
    > setup.py sdist --format=zip


    Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.


    Richard
    richard, May 16, 2005
    #4
  5. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:49 +1000, richard
    <> wrote:

    >John Machin wrote:
    >> richard wrote:
    >>> John Machin wrote:
    >>> > Sorry in advance if this is not the correct forum ...
    >>>
    >>> Quite. The support link for PyPI is in the sidebar of the site.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Tried that, when I was trying to register and getting strange error
    >> messages about the user name, like "John Machin" and "John_Machin" were
    >> not "ascii" [it finally permitted "sjmachin"]. The response volume
    >> could not be likened to that of a fire-hose.

    >
    >You mean the request you put in two days ago?


    Yes, that one.

    > Sorry I've not got around to
    >responding yet. It was admittedly low on my priority list because you were
    >the only person reporting the issue (out of hundreds of successful
    >registrations). I will now fill in the details you've just provided (ie the
    >input you used which broke the interface)


    Not me, yer 'onour; it wuz broken already.


    >so that when I get around to
    >fixing it I'll know what I'm looking for.
    >
    >
    >> Which is precisely how the file in question was generated:
    >>
    >> setup.py sdist --format=zip

    >
    >Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.


    Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
    (presumably a timestamp):


    C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>fc /b xlrd-0.3a1.zip
    f:\xlrd_dist\xlrd-0.3a1.zip
    Comparing files xlrd-0.3a1.zip and F:\XLRD_DIST\XLRD-0.3A1.ZIP
    0000000A: 59 B8
    0000000B: B9 9E
    0000000C: B0 AF
    00009660: 59 B8
    00009661: B9 9E
    00009662: B0 AF

    C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>dir *3a1*.zip

    16/05/2005 11:10p 39,436 xlrd-0.3a1.zip

    C:\devel\xlrd\build\dist>dir f:\xlrd_dist\xlrd-0.3a1.zip

    15/05/2005 07:53p 39,436 xlrd-0.3a1.zip

    (B) Exactly the same result from the PyPI upload attempt.


    > The code is being too paranoid


    Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???
    John Machin, May 16, 2005
    #5
  6. John Machin

    richard Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:49 +1000, richard
    >>John Machin wrote:
    >>> setup.py sdist --format=zip

    >>
    >>Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

    >
    > Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
    > (presumably a timestamp):


    Oh, so even without --format, a ZIP source dist file is produced anyway? If
    this is the case, please file a bug against PyPI.


    >> The code is being too paranoid

    >
    > Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???


    The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
    pr0n.


    Richard
    richard, May 19, 2005
    #6
  7. John Machin

    John Machin Guest

    On Fri, 20 May 2005 08:27:28 +1000, richard
    <> wrote:

    >John Machin wrote:
    >> On Mon, 16 May 2005 22:11:49 +1000, richard
    >>>John Machin wrote:
    >>>> setup.py sdist --format=zip
    >>>
    >>>Try without the --format arg. The code is being too paranoid.

    >>
    >> Result: (A) produces a zip file with only minor differences
    >> (presumably a timestamp):

    >
    >Oh, so even without --format, a ZIP source dist file is produced anyway?


    On a win32 platform, yes, as documented.

    > If
    >this is the case, please file a bug against PyPI.


    I presume you mean a bug *report*. Done.

    >
    >
    >>> The code is being too paranoid

    >>
    >> Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

    >
    >The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
    >pr0n.


    So zip implies pr0n but exe doesn't ???
    John Machin, May 20, 2005
    #7
  8. John Machin

    richard Guest

    John Machin wrote:
    > I presume you mean a bug report. Done.


    Thankyou.


    > I wrote:
    >> He wrote:
    >>> I wrote:
    >>>> The code is being too paranoid
    >>>
    >>> Which code (distutils or PyPI server) is being paranoid about what???

    >>
    >> The PyPI server code, which attempts to make sure people aren't uploading
    >> pr0n.

    > So zip implies pr0n but exe doesn't ???


    Not sure what your point is here. Are you implying that PyPI is doing
    something wrong W.R.T. exe files? If you are, what are you basing that
    statement on? And what would you do differently?


    Richard
    richard, May 23, 2005
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. sunil_varma
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    1,161
  2. Tony Meyer
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    297
    richard
    May 23, 2005
  3. Tony Meyer
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    461
    John Machin
    May 23, 2005
  4. Tony Meyer
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    321
    John Machin
    May 20, 2005
  5. gert

    http://pypi.python.org/pypi

    gert, Apr 29, 2010, in forum: Python
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    421
    Martin v. Loewis
    May 1, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page