    But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    Martin, May 15, 2011

  2. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin <>
    wrote:

    >I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    >different web pages:
    >
    >body
    >{font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    >background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >
    >table
    >{font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >
    >But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    >only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    >Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    Upon some further investigation, it seems to be a problem only when
    viewing the page in Firefox. In IE, the bolding shows up ok.

    Is there some setting in FF that I need to adjust to get it to use
    linked .css files?

    Martin, May 15, 2011

  3. Martin

    dorayme Guest

    In article <>,
    Martin <> wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    > >different web pages:
    > >
    > >body
    > >{font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    > >background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    > >
    > >table
    > >{font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    > >
    > >But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    > >only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    > >Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    > Upon some further investigation, it seems to be a problem only when
    > viewing the page in Firefox. In IE, the bolding shows up ok.
    >
    > Is there some setting in FF that I need to adjust to get it to use
    > linked .css files?

    You surely can tell if your FF is using a css file at all. If the
    file concerned is populated with styles, is there a difference
    between the look when you go to View menu/Page Style/ and tick No
    Style and look and then compare with Basic Page Style.

    Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
    polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
    for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
    everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
    then in danger of being settled too quickly.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 16, 2011
  4. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:21:51 +1000, dorayme <>
    wrote:

    >Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
    >polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
    >for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
    >everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
    >then in danger of being settled too quickly.

    Does anyone here know of an HTML newsgroup that is populated by ADULTS
    that are capable of answering questions without resorting to snide
    comments?

    Martin, May 16, 2011
  5. Martin

    Mike S Guest

    On 5/15/2011 7:08 PM, Martin wrote:
    > On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:21:51 +1000, dorayme<>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
    >> polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
    >> for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
    >> everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
    >> then in danger of being settled too quickly.

    > Does anyone here know of an HTML newsgroup that is populated by ADULTS
    > that are capable of answering questions without resorting to snide
    > comments?

    Very effective public relations, you're sure to get tons of help with
    that approach.

    Mike S, May 16, 2011
  6. Martin

    dorayme Guest

    Just because a child said:

    > You surely can tell if your FF is using a css file at all. If the
    > file concerned is populated with styles, is there a difference
    > between the look when you go to View menu/Page Style/ and tick No
    > Style and look and then compare with Basic Page Style.

    Is it a reason to take no notice? What have you got against
    children?

    Hey, mister, I dunno what I am going to be when I grow up, but
    I'm sure to be nice to children - *unless* they are like Peter
    Gosling, who has just pinched my jam sandwich and run off to the
    other side of the playground where the very little kids like me
    are not allowed to go.

    --
    dorayme

    dorayme, May 16, 2011
  7. Martin

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:

    > I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    > different web pages:
    >
    > body
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    > background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >
    > table
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >
    > But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    > only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    > Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    why not try using:
    form {font-weight:bold;}
    if you want to be more specific, give only that item a unique class name
    and style it through that class name.
    Or use inline styling.

    richard, May 16, 2011
  8. Martin

    richard Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:

    > I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    > different web pages:
    >
    > body
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    > background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >
    > table
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >
    > But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    > only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    > Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    btw, dorayme was snickering at the clowns in this group who always insist
    that for the simplest of problems, a URL MUST be given or they don't help.
    Said clowns then want to tear your work down by the smallest of details.
    Even though they will never post a URL of theirs in fear of being ridiculed
    by others.

    richard, May 16, 2011
  9. 16.5.2011 7:26, Ed Mullen kirjoitti:

    > dorayme's comment was couched in an
    > amusing tone (obviously not to you) but the comment was dead on.

    It was a useful comment indeed. Never post a URL if you wish to prevent
    people from solving your problem. That was dead serious, of course.
    (Some wannabe trolls have failed miserably in their trolling when they
    did not know that.)

    > If you
    > want real help provide real-world circumstances. We're not freaking mind
    > readers.

    To be honest, some of us _are_ mind readers. But they tend to make
    better money elsewhere, so they just casually give free help here.

    Personally I'm just a novice mind reader, and I can only dimly see that
    there is an error on line 42.

    But I can clearly see that the OP sets the overall font to bold, which
    is a sign of trolling or great ignorance or extremely special hacking. I
    give the last alternative an undescribably small probability.

    P.S. It takes no mindreading to see that the OP had not used the W3C CSS
    Validator to check the syntax of the stylesheet, so he seems to refuse
    to get help from computers, too.

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 16, 2011
  10. On Sun, 15 May 2011 23:33:46 -0700, richard wrote:

    > btw, dorayme was snickering at the clowns in this group who always
    > insist that for the simplest of problems, a URL MUST be given ....

    No he wasn't. You just didn't get it. Again.

    Rgds

    Denis McMahon

    Denis McMahon, May 16, 2011
  11. Martin

    Doug Miller Guest

    In article <>, Martin <> wrote:
    >On Mon, 16 May 2011 09:21:51 +1000, dorayme <>
    >wrote:
    >
    >>Under no circumstances, no matter how beguiling or cunning or
    >>polite or rude or sarcastic or impatient a request by anyone here
    >>for a URL to your page, do not succumb. Never give a URL so that
    >>everyone can see exactly what is going on because the matter is
    >>then in danger of being settled too quickly.

    >Does anyone here know of an HTML newsgroup that is populated by ADULTS
    >that are capable of answering questions without resorting to snide
    >comments?

    In less time than it took you to type that, you *could* have typed "Oh, sorry,
    here's the URL: http://www.its_your_fault_that_I_dont_know_what_Im_doing.com"

    Doug Miller, May 16, 2011
  12. Martin

    jeff Guest

    On 5/15/2011 5:34 PM, Martin wrote:
    > I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    > different web pages:
    >
    > body
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    > background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >
    > table
    > {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >
    > But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    > only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    > Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    Unknown variables including which UA and which doctype.

    Old and funky fix used to be:

    table,tr,td{
    font-family: Arial, sans-serif;
    }

    Arial should be capitalized, btw.

    With modern browsers and doctypes that should not be needed.

    mung

    jeff, May 16, 2011
  13. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Sun, 15 May 2011 23:29:14 -0700, richard <>
    wrote:

    >On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:
    >
    >> I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    >> different web pages:
    >>
    >> body
    >> {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    >> background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >>
    >> table
    >> {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >>
    >> But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    >> only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    >> Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    >why not try using:
    >form {font-weight:bold;}
    >if you want to be more specific, give only that item a unique class name
    >and style it through that class name.
    >Or use inline styling.

    Thanks, Richard

    I moved the css statements from the external file into the page's
    <head> section and everything appears just fine now.

    I had this same problem on another page (that used a different .css
    file). Making the same kind of change fixed that one also.

    Doesn't make any sense but it works.

    Thanks again.

    Martin, May 16, 2011
  14. Martin

    richard Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 10:03:34 -0700, Martin wrote:

    > On Sun, 15 May 2011 23:29:14 -0700, richard <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>On Sun, 15 May 2011 14:34:50 -0700, Martin wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have these entries in a .css file that is linked to several
    >>> different web pages:
    >>>
    >>> body
    >>> {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;
    >>> background-image:"../WebGraphics/background.gif"; }
    >>>
    >>> table
    >>> {font-family:arial; font-weight: bold;}
    >>>
    >>> But on some pages, the bold font is not being used in a table. The
    >>> only thing I can see is that these tables happen to be in a FORM.
    >>> Could that be the problem? Or should I be looking for something else?

    >>why not try using:
    >>form {font-weight:bold;}
    >>if you want to be more specific, give only that item a unique class name
    >>and style it through that class name.
    >>Or use inline styling.

    > Thanks, Richard
    >
    > I moved the css statements from the external file into the page's
    > <head> section and everything appears just fine now.
    >
    > I had this same problem on another page (that used a different .css
    > file). Making the same kind of change fixed that one also.
    >
    > Doesn't make any sense but it works.
    >
    > Thanks again.

    CSS always goes in the head unless you're using inline.

    <head>
    body {}
    table {}
    </head>

    text

    richard, May 16, 2011
  15. richard the sto0pid wrote:

    > CSS always goes in the head unless you're using inline.

    Or in an external file.

    <head> ...
    <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../path/to/styles.css" >
    </head>

    --
    -bts
    -In a broadband world, you are just a dialup

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 16, 2011
  16. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> CSS always goes in the head unless you're using inline.

    > Or in an external file.
    >
    > <head> ...
    > <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../path/to/styles.css">
    > </head>

    BEST in an external file, especially from a management perspective. As
    to the OP, any advice would be a WAG without actually *seeing* what you
    did. Moving the css to the head may indicate a change in the order of
    the rules from the original stylesheet, a syntax error, or simply a path
    problem to the stylesheet! But my crystal ball is on the fritz...

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------
    LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
    http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

    Jonathan N. Little, May 16, 2011
  17. Martin

    Martin Guest

    On Mon, 16 May 2011 15:53:24 -0400, "Jonathan N. Little"
    <> wrote:

    >Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >>
    >>> CSS always goes in the head unless you're using inline.

    >> Or in an external file.
    >>
    >> <head> ...
    >> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../path/to/styles.css">
    >> </head>
    >>

    >BEST in an external file, especially from a management perspective. As
    >to the OP, any advice would be a WAG without actually *seeing* what you
    >did. Moving the css to the head may indicate a change in the order of
    >the rules from the original stylesheet, a syntax error, or simply a path
    >problem to the stylesheet! But my crystal ball is on the fritz...

    The external .css file contained these lines:
    body {font-family:arial;font-weight:bold;}
    table {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;}
    td.padded, th.padded {padding-left:1em; padding-right:1em;}
    input {font-weight:bold;}

    These lines were copied into the <head> section of the page in the
    same place where the <link> statement was.

    IOW, This:
    <link type='text/css' rel='stylesheet' href='../includes/DBStyle.css'>

    was replaced with:
    body {font-family:arial;font-weight:bold;}
    table {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;}
    td.padded, th.padded {padding-left:1em; padding-right:1em;}
    input {font-weight:bold;}

    Just for the heck of it, I just now switched it back - commented out
    the <style> block and put the <link> back in (as shown above).
    When I load the page into FF, the fonts are not bolded. When I look at
    the error console, this message is displayed:

    Error: The stylesheet http://localhost/includes/DBStyle.css was not
    loaded because its MIME type, "text/html", is not "text/css"

    Does the mime type need to be specified in some manner?

    Martin, May 16, 2011
  18. Martin wrote:

    > "Jonathan N. Little"
    >> Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >>> <head> ...
    >>> <link type="text/css" rel="stylesheet" href="../path/to/styles.css">
    >>> </head>

    >> BEST in an external file, especially from a management perspective.
    >> As to the OP, any advice would be a WAG without actually *seeing*
    >> what you did. Moving the css to the head may indicate a change in
    >> the order of the rules from the original stylesheet, a syntax error,
    >> or simply a path problem to the stylesheet! But my crystal ball is
    >> on the fritz...

    > The external .css file contained these lines:
    > body {font-family:arial;font-weight:bold;}
    > table {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;}
    > td.padded, th.padded {padding-left:1em; padding-right:1em;}
    > input {font-weight:bold;}
    >
    > These lines were copied into the <head> section of the page in the
    > same place where the <link> statement was.
    >
    > IOW, This:
    > <link type='text/css' rel='stylesheet' href='../includes/DBStyle.css'>
    >
    > was replaced with:
    > body {font-family:arial;font-weight:bold;}
    > table {font-family:arial; font-weight:bold;}
    > td.padded, th.padded {padding-left:1em; padding-right:1em;}
    > input {font-weight:bold;}
    >
    > Just for the heck of it, I just now switched it back - commented out
    > the <style> block and put the <link> back in (as shown above). When I
    > load the page into FF, the fonts are not bolded. When I look at the
    > error console, this message is displayed:
    >
    > Error: The stylesheet http://localhost/includes/DBStyle.css was not
    > loaded because its MIME type, "text/html", is not "text/css"
    >
    > Does the mime type need to be specified in some manner?

    If we could see your page, would we find such markup as:

    You have no 'bold' setting for td.

    What operating system is your localhost server on?
    (DBStyle not same as dbstyle, except on Windows)

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, May 16, 2011
  19. Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Martin wrote:
    >

    >> Error: The stylesheet http://localhost/includes/DBStyle.css was not
    >> loaded because its MIME type, "text/html", is not "text/css"
    >>
    >> Does the mime type need to be specified in some manner?

    Yes

    > If we could see your page, would we find such markup as:

    > You have no 'bold' setting for td.
    >
    > What operating system is your localhost server on?
    > (DBStyle not same as dbstyle, except on Windows)

    Or the css/text mime type may not be set for the extension ".css" on the
    server.

    --
    Take care,

    Jonathan
    -------------------

    Jonathan N. Little, May 17, 2011
  20. 16.5.2011 22:18, Beauregard T. Shagnasty kirjoitti:

    > richard the sto0pid wrote:
    >
    >> CSS always goes in the head unless you're using inline.

    > Or in an external file.

    Or in the body. It's non-conforming and syntactically invalid (against
    published DTDs) to put a <style> element inside the <body> element, but
    it actually works in browsers, even backwards (i.e., the CSS rules there
    are also applied to elements that precede the <style> element).

    --
    Yucca, http://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/

    Jukka K. Korpela, May 17, 2011