Problem with default function argument on linux

none

In a template class I declare a function:

bool LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi=false, bool endian=false);

and in the .cpp file I define it:

template< typename M, unsigned int Dimension>
bool
MyTestClass<M,Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi = false, bool endian = false) {

But when I compile I get the error:

error: default argument given for parameter 3 of ‘bool MyTestClass<M,
Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string, bool, bool)’

It compiles fine on windows with visual studio 2008, but why does it not compile on linux?

none

none said:
In a template class I declare a function:

bool LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi=false, bool endian=false);

and in the .cpp file I define it:

template< typename M, unsigned int Dimension>
bool
MyTestClass<M,Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi =
false, bool endian = false) {

But when I compile I get the error:

error: default argument given for parameter 3 of ‘bool MyTestClass<M,
Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string, bool, bool)’

It compiles fine on windows with visual studio 2008, but why does it not
compile on linux?

Arg default values should only be specified in the declaration, problem solved.

Saeed Amrollahi

In a template class I declare a function:

   bool LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi=false, bool endian=false);

and in the .cpp file I define it:

template< typename M, unsigned int Dimension>
bool
MyTestClass<M,Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi = false, bool endian = false) {

But when I compile I get the error:

error: default argument given for parameter 3 of ‘bool MyTestClass<M,
Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string, bool, bool)’

It compiles fine on windows with visual studio 2008, but why does it not compile on linux?

Hi

I believe, it is a general rule:
The default argument should be specified for a parameter in either
declaration or definition.

My two cents

Regards,
-- Saeed Amrollahi

Saeed Amrollahi

In a template class I declare a function:

   bool LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi=false, bool endian=false);

and in the .cpp file I define it:

template< typename M, unsigned int Dimension>
bool
MyTestClass<M,Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string filename, bool multi = false, bool endian = false) {

But when I compile I get the error:

error: default argument given for parameter 3 of ‘bool MyTestClass<M,
Dimension>::LoadFile(std::string, bool, bool)’

It compiles fine on windows with visual studio 2008, but why does it not compile on linux?

Hi
I believe, it is a general rule:
The default argument should be specified in either function
declaration or function definition.

My two cents,
-- Saeed Amrollahi

Ian Collins

Hi

I believe, it is a general rule:
The default argument should be specified for a parameter in either
declaration or definition.

Only in the definition if it is also the declaration.