Problem with encoding latin1/UTF8

Mark Toth

I have a database with latin1_swedish_ci encoding.
In my database.yml file there is:

development:
adapter: mysql
encoding: latin1

When I import data to the database it will store it correctly, but when
I´m reading it from the databse I get ��� instead of åäö.

I´m using the following code to read from the databse:

@results = Product.find:)all, :conditions => [ "sku LIKE ?",
a1+@searchstring+a2], :limit => 50)

Any idea? I´ve tried to set the $KCODE = 'latin1' without success.

Chris Gers32

Hi Mark,

I'm not sure the problems are related, but I've had to convert data from
an Oracle database with Win-1252 encoding to UTF-8 for generating
OpenOffice files. For that, I used the following syntax (being new to
Ruby/Rails, I still prefer plain SQL queries...):

@wrk_vpreparations = WrkVpreparation.find_by_sql(
["SELECT CONVERT( CODE, 'UTF8', 'WE8MSWIN1252' ) AS CODE,
CONVERT( DESC_FR, 'UTF8', 'WE8MSWIN1252' ) AS
DESCRIPTION
FROM WRK_VPREPARATIONS
WHERE ID=?", params[:id]] )

Hope this helps.