Problem with extconf

H

Harry Ohlsen

Hi,

I wanted to install ruby-zlib-1.6.0 but hit a snag. When I run "ruby extconf.rb" I get the following error message ...

/export/home/harryo/ruby/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/shellwords.rb:31 in 'shellwords': undefined method 'lstrip!' for "--prefix=/export/home/harryo/ruby/usr/local":String (NameError)
from /export/home/harryo/ruby/usr/local/lib/ruby/1.8/mkmf.rb:18
from extconf.rb:7 in 'require'
from extconf.rb:7

(Note: I had to type all of that, because I can't get the X11 selection onto this darned Windows box).

Doing a quick irb shows that String doesn't seem to *have* an lstrip! method (nor lstrip, rstrip, rstrip!). However, those methods exist according to my copy of ri from /\ndy's 1.8.0 Windows installer.

Can anyone give me a clue as to what's going on? Is it something screwy about my installation of 1.8.0 on the Solaris box?

Thanks in advance,

Harry O.

N

nobu.nokada

Hi,

At Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:50:53 +0900,
Harry said:
Doing a quick irb shows that String doesn't seem to *have* an
lstrip! method (nor lstrip, rstrip, rstrip!). However, those
methods exist according to my copy of ri from /\ndy's 1.8.0
Windows installer.

Don't you use ruby 1.6 for extconf.rb? Ruby 1.8 contains zlib.

H

Harry Ohlsen

Hi,

At Thu, 18 Sep 2003 15:50:53 +0900,

Don't you use ruby 1.6 for extconf.rb? Ruby 1.8 contains zlib.

That's what I just discovered! The tar file I downloaded contained 1.6.8, not 1.8.0. It was a stable snapshot that I got to by following the "Get Ruby Now!" link on the home page. That took me to a page that had links entitled "Ruby version 1.8.0 source (stable release)" and "Stable snapshot" ... amongst others.

Maybe I'm just losing my mind :-(.

Anyway, I just used the first link and I seem to have the real 1.8.0 source tarball, so I'll give that a go.

Sorry for the confusion.

Harry O.

Ask a Question