Problem with files comparing

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Cheyne Li, May 12, 2008.

  1. Cheyne Li

    Cheyne Li Guest

    Hi, there

    My problem is to compare two files in the same directory as the program
    does.

    the code is:

    require 'ftools'
    def fcmp
    from = 'my_log.txt'
    to = 'my_log_e.txt'
    if compare(from,to, verbose = false) then
    puts 'Identical.'
    else
    puts 'Different.'
    end
    end

    After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
    has the idea what's wrong with it?

    Cheyne Li, May 12, 2008

  2. Cheyne Li

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On May 12, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    > require 'ftools'
    > def fcmp
    > from = 'my_log.txt'
    > to = 'my_log_e.txt'
    > if compare(from,to, verbose = false) then
    > puts 'Identical.'
    > else
    > puts 'Different.'
    > end
    > end
    >
    > After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
    > has the idea what's wrong with it?

    You probably need to call your function.

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, May 12, 2008

  3. Cheyne Li

    Cheyne Li Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:
    > On May 12, 2008, at 4:58 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    >>
    >> After running the function. There's no result as all. Is there anybody
    >> has the idea what's wrong with it?

    > You probably need to call your function.
    >

    > Dave

    Hi, Dave

    I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
    error message. The code and error message are in the following:

    class Cmprocess
    # Create the object
    def initialize(from,to)
    @from = from
    @to = to
    end

    def fcmp
    require 'ftools'
    compare(@from,@to, true)
    end

    r= Cmprocess.new("my_log.txt","my_log_e.txt")

    if r.fcmp then
    puts "Identical files."
    else
    puts "Different files."
    end

    end

    C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
    Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:11:in `fcmp': undefined
    method `compare' for #<Cmprocess:0xb40ec4 @to="my_log_e.txt",
    @from="my_log.txt"> (NoMethodError)
    from C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
    Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:16
    from C:\Documents and Settings\cheynel\My
    Documents\NetBeansProjects\task1\lib\fcmp.rb:2

    I used netbean for ruby to ran it

    Cheyne Li, May 12, 2008
  4. Cheyne Li

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On May 12, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    > I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
    > error message. The code and error message are in the following:

    1. It's relatively unusual to create instances of a class inside the
    class body, but that won't cause this problem

    2. Where do you define the 'compare' method?

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, May 12, 2008
  5. Cheyne Li

    Cheyne Li Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:
    > On May 12, 2008, at 5:29 PM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    >> I tried put them in a class, and tested, but it kept throwing me the
    >> error message. The code and error message are in the following:

    > 1. It's relatively unusual to create instances of a class inside the
    > class body, but that won't cause this problem
    >
    > 2. Where do you define the 'compare' method?
    >

    > Dave

    compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb

    Cheyne Li, May 13, 2008
  6. Cheyne Li

    Dave Thomas Guest

    On May 13, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    > compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb

    Then you'd need to say File.compare, and not just compare.

    Dave

    Dave Thomas, May 13, 2008
  7. Cheyne Li

    Cheyne Li Guest

    Dave Thomas wrote:
    > On May 13, 2008, at 11:21 AM, Cheyne Li wrote:
    >> compare is a std mathod in ftools.rb

    > Then you'd need to say File.compare, and not just compare.
    >

    > Dave

    Ok. I c. Thanks man

    Cheyne Li, May 13, 2008