problem with IE - well, who does not?

windandwaves

Hi Gurus

Please have a look at www.lakebrunner.co.nz/_y/

In IE, from time to time, mainly the first time, the menu does not show at
all. When I entered the wrong name for the flash file, the menu was never
visible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA

Chaddy2222

windandwaves said:
Hi Gurus

Please have a look at www.lakebrunner.co.nz/_y/

In IE, from time to time, mainly the first time, the menu does not show at
all. When I entered the wrong name for the flash file, the menu was never
visible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

TIA
Hi.
Yes, that seams to be the case.
I'm running IE6 on WinXP with SP2 and I did not at first get the menu
in IE.
I think it may be a JavaScript error, or it may be that you used the
wrong file name on that page. Or it might be something different.

Toby Inkster

windandwaves said:
In IE, from time to time, mainly the first time, the menu does not show at
all. When I entered the wrong name for the flash file, the menu was never
visible.

Google: MSIE peek-a-boo

That help?

PS: you haven't uploaded needplugin.gif

windandwaves

Toby said:
Google: MSIE peek-a-boo

That help?

PS: you haven't uploaded needplugin.gif

Hey Toby

It is always an honour to get a reply from you. I know about the peek-a-boo
thing, just not sure how to apply it to my problem....

windandwaves

windandwaves said:
Hi Gurus

Please have a look at www.lakebrunner.co.nz/_y/

In IE, from time to time, mainly the first time, the menu does not
show at all. When I entered the wrong name for the flash file, the
menu was never visible.

Any help greatly appreciated.

I think I have solved it. For the top image (with the mist), I took out the
float. I also changed some other stuff, but the float seem to make the
difference (together with position: relative, if I made the image position
absolute then i fell off completely).

The only funny thing is that IE put the image in the wrong place and I used
a hack to fix that
img#top {position: relative; left: 17px;}
#content>img#top {left: 20px;}

I cant wait for IE 7.0

Anyway, thank you all for your help.

Toby Inkster

windandwaves said:
I know about the peek-a-boo thing, just not sure how to apply it to my
problem....

Generally giving various elements "position:relative" will do it.

Here's a related gem that I've been using quite a bit recently...

/* fairly simple 2-column layout... */
#wrap
{
position: relative;
}
#content
{
margin: 0 0 0 200px;
}
#nav
{
position: absolute;
top: 0;
left: 0;
width: 200px;
border-right: 1px solid;
}

/* PROBLEM: when #nav is very long, and #content is very short, then
MSIE users won't be able to scroll down the page to see the bottom of
#nav! */

#nav * { zoom: 1; } /* fix */

David Graham

/* PROBLEM: when #nav is very long, and #content is very short, then
MSIE users won't be able to scroll down the page to see the bottom of
#nav! */

#nav * { zoom: 1; } /* fix */

hi
Does the star after #nav represent any element within the div with id=nav?
David Graham

windandwaves

David said:
hi
Does the star after #nav represent any element within the div with
id=nav? David Graham

I actually think it is a hack, where either IE or the other browsers do not
read the style definition.

Toby Inkster

windandwaves said:
I actually think it is a hack, where either IE or the other browsers do
not read the style definition.

No, David was right. "*" is a valid CSS selector: it means "anything".

"DIV P {...}" selects paragraphs inside divs. Similarly, the selector I
posted selects anything within #nav.

It's not a hack; it's supported by almost any CSS-capable browser.

That said, "zoom:1" is a hack. It's not valid CSS: "zoom" is a proprietary
MSIE property designed to scale different HTML elements. Setting it to
"zoom:1" doesn't do anything in IE, as you're effectively zooming to
normal size, but it does have the effect of fixing IE's "hasLayout" bug.
Other browsers ignore it.

windandwaves

Toby said:
No, David was right. "*" is a valid CSS selector: it means "anything".

"DIV P {...}" selects paragraphs inside divs. Similarly, the selector
I posted selects anything within #nav.

It's not a hack; it's supported by almost any CSS-capable browser.

That said, "zoom:1" is a hack. It's not valid CSS: "zoom" is a
proprietary MSIE property designed to scale different HTML elements.
Setting it to "zoom:1" doesn't do anything in IE, as you're
effectively zooming to normal size, but it does have the effect of
fixing IE's "hasLayout" bug. Other browsers ignore it.

Classic! My apologies. I remember there was some way of using an * as a
hack, but i cant remember it...

Els

windandwaves said:
Classic! My apologies. I remember there was some way of using an * as a
hack, but i cant remember it...

That is * html div{...} (where div can be replaced by any other
element).

IE 5/6 erroneously apply those stylerules, ignoring the fact that html
can't have a parent element. IE7 won't see it though, just like any
other non-IE browser.

windandwaves

Els said:
That is * html div{...} (where div can be replaced by any other
element).

IE 5/6 erroneously apply those stylerules, ignoring the fact that html
can't have a parent element. IE7 won't see it though, just like any
other non-IE browser.

Have you already downloaded IE7? SHould I do that too?

Els

windandwaves said:
Have you already downloaded IE7?
Yes.

SHould I do that too?

That's your choice :)
I just wanted to know how my sites did in IE7, and found I only had to
apply two little hacks to make them behave. But at least one of these
are only temporary, as the bug that required it, is already fixed in
the newer builds (which aren't downloadable)

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Els quothed:
I just wanted to know how my sites did in IE7, and found I only had to
apply two little hacks to make them behave. But at least one of these
are only temporary, as the bug that required it, is already fixed in
the newer builds (which aren't downloadable)

After installing IE7b2, can you still access IE6?

Dylan Parry

Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Neredbojias
finally proclaimed:
After installing IE7b2, can you still access IE6?

No. Well, you can if you install a standalone copy of IE6 using the
multiple IEs hack :)

Els

Dylan said:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Neredbojias
finally proclaimed:

No. Well, you can if you install a standalone copy of IE6 using the
multiple IEs hack :)

That's what I did.
I'm not doing anything special to use that hack though - it's built in
in that standalone version I suppose? I just installed IE7b2 first,
then installed IE6 from evolt.org, and that was it.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Dylan Parry quothed:
Pondering the eternal question of "Hobnobs or Rich Tea?", Neredbojias
finally proclaimed:

No. Well, you can if you install a standalone copy of IE6 using the
multiple IEs hack :)

Muchos gracias for the reply. I think I'll just wait for the official
version to come out. Got a rather new XP and don't want to upset the
apple wagon so to speak.