Problem with jdk1.5 and Oracle 9

Javireco

Hello,
I am developing a java program that uses Oracle 9i. I have developed
the program using jdk1.4.2 I'm using JDBC3.0 with ojdbc14.jar.

Now I'm trying to use jdk1.5. No problem in compilation, but when
running the program, it is too slow when connecting to oracle (this
was ten times faster using jdk1.4.2).

OracleDataSource oDataSource;
oDataSource = new OracleDataSource();
Connection oCon=null;
oCon = oDataSource.getConnection(); <----------- This line is
executed VERY SLOW

Does anyone knows the reason why it is slower using jdk1.5 instead of
jdk1.4?
Does anyone know if there is a free oracle thin driver fully cmpliant
with jdbc3.0?

Thanks in advance