problem with multiword args and Runtime.exec()

Aryeh M. Friedman

No matter what version of Runtime.exec I call I can not make a arg that hasmultiple words in it (*NOT* multiple args but a single one) for example ifI need to issue the following command in unix I can not find a way to do the stuff in "'s as a single arg [the called program requires this... i.e. it *MUST NOT* be treated as different elements of String[] args if it was a java program]):

rdiff-backup --remote-schema "ssh -C -p9222 %s rdiff-backup --server" username@remoteserver::/path_to/filestobackup /path_to/backedupfiles

Lew

No matter what version of Runtime.exec I call I can not make a arg that has multiple words in it (*NOT* multiple args but a single one) for example if I need to issue the following command in unix I can not find a way to dothe stuff in "'s as a single arg [the called program requires this... i.e.it *MUST NOT* be treated as different elements of String[] args if it was a java program]):

rdiff-backup --remote-schema "ssh -C -p9222 %s rdiff-backup --server" username@remoteserver::/path_to/filestobackup /path_to/backedupfiles

Please provide an SSCCE
http://sscce.org/
of your code using
http://docs.oracle.com/javase/7/docs/api/java/lang/Runtime.html#exec(java.lang.String[])
and its output.

FredK

No matter what version of Runtime.exec I call I can not make a arg that has multiple words in it (*NOT* multiple args but a single one) for example if I need to issue the following command in unix I can not find a way to dothe stuff in "'s as a single arg [the called program requires this... i.e.it *MUST NOT* be treated as different elements of String[] args if it was a java program]):

rdiff-backup --remote-schema "ssh -C -p9222 %s rdiff-backup --server" username@remoteserver::/path_to/filestobackup /path_to/backedupfiles

Your program gets the quotes string as a single argument.
If you want to pass that string as a single argument to something
like system(), you have to ensure that there are quotes around the
multi-word argument.

For example, assume arg1 contains the multiword value.
You cannot just say:
sprintf( buffer, "ls %s", arg1 );
system( buffer );

you have to use

[...]