problem with OpenMP in Ruby extension

Rudi Cilibrasi

Hi everybody,

I am the main developer of CompLearn, an open-source machine learning library
for scientific researchers. I have written a Ruby binding for CompLearn
called complearn-ruby. It has worked fine in the past. But it has a problem
ever since I converted the base library (libcomplearn) to use OpenMP for
multicore processor support. If I just try to use the simplest approach that
has worked in the past in my extconf.rb, I get the following problem when I
try to require the C-extension Ruby binding complearn4r.so and use the
multicore part of the system:

ruby: symbol lookup error: /usr/lib/libcomplearn.so.1: undefined symbol: GOMP_pa
rallel_start

To try to fix this error,

I adjusted the extconf.rb to include this line:

have_library('gomp', 'main')

And rebuilding works but running a simple test program (just trying to require
complearn) fails in a different way than before:

/home/cilibrar/rlc/projects/complearn/complearn-ruby/ext/complearn/complearn4r.s
o: libgomp.so.1: shared object cannot be dlopen()ed - /home/cilibrar/rlc/project
s/complearn/complearn-ruby/ext/complearn/complearn4r.so (LoadError)
from /home/cilibrar/rlc/projects/complearn/complearn-ruby/lib/complearn.
rb:2
from tests/t2.rb:1:in `require'
from tests/t2.rb:1

I don't know what else to try and wonder if anybody else can offer a clue?

I have tried for a long time experimenting with CFLAGS, CPPFLAGS, LDFLAGS,
and -fopenmp among other settings but I still cannot seem to figure out
a solution. I have put the source code for this problem up at

http://cilibrar.com/~cilibrar/projsup/rubbug/libcomplearn-1.0.4.tar.gz
and
http://cilibrar.com/~cilibrar/projsup/rubbug/libcomplearn-ruby-1.0.4.tar.gz

I would appreciate greatly any help anybody can offer in this problem. Thank
you for your attention,

Rudi

ara.t.howard

I adjusted the extconf.rb to include this line:

have_library('gomp', 'main')

And rebuilding works but running a simple test program (just trying
to require
complearn) fails in a different way than before:

this sounds like it gets the link right (LD_LIBRARY_PATH) but fails
at runtime. try setting LD_RUN_PATH to the location of the gomp lib
*before* compiling

for example

export LD_RUN_PATH=/full/path/to/directory/with/gomp/lib
ruby extconf.rb && make && sudo make install

just a hunch...

cheers.

ps. long time time no hear!

a @ http://drawohara.com/

Rudi Cilibrasi

Hi Ara,

Good to hear from you and I am glad to hear you are still thinking about dynamic
linking issues. Unfortunately I tried your suggestion and so far I
cannot detect any measurable difference in behavior. Same error
messages in both cases, with and without the #have_library(gomp...)
line.

Yes, it has taken years but I have rewritten complearn to use gobject
and OpenMP and I must say the results are exciting. Recently,
somebody sent in a patch to improve the complearn tree search from
O(n^5) to O(n^3) and this really made my week last week, speeding up
tree search by thousands of times. I am very excited to start
applying the new technology but this whole ruby extension thing openmp
problem has rained on my parade! nice to hear from you again, -r.

-a

Hi Ara,

Good to hear from you and I am glad to hear you are still thinking about dynamic
linking issues. Unfortunately I tried your suggestion and so far I
cannot detect any measurable difference in behavior. Same error
messages in both cases, with and without the #have_library(gomp...)
line.

Yes, it has taken years but I have rewritten complearn to use gobject
and OpenMP and I must say the results are exciting. Recently,
somebody sent in a patch to improve the complearn tree search from
O(n^5) to O(n^3) and this really made my week last week, speeding up
tree search by thousands of times. I am very excited to start
applying the new technology but this whole ruby extension thing openmp
problem has rained on my parade! nice to hear from you again, -r.

try setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to the location of libgimp (directory
containing lib) and see if that helps

for example

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib/
ruby a.rb

and see if you still get the error. if dlopen fails then there is
some other issue. make sure the lib is actually there - if it this
works then massaging LD_RUN_PATH *should* work.

regards.

Rudi Cilibrasi

Hmm, I tried the LD_LIBRARY_PATH thing and still no luck. But, gga gave the
suggestion that perhaps it is a bad idea (or even now crashing) for the other
reason that Ruby has its own threads that are probably grossly incompatible
with OpenMP threading. So, I instead rewrote the entire Ruby binding and also
made a new standalone application called uncd: the Universal NCD connectort.
It uses stdin and stdout with a handmade protocol to communicate with
a server process to allow easy language binding in Ruby and Erlang and
eventually Perl, Java, Python etc. Here is the source code if you are
interested I think it is a major improvement over the old code and
will be doing this for future bindings too I think:

http://hg.cilibrar.com/complearn-uncd/

I learned this approach from Erlang books. I think I like the idea of
coarse-grained libraries providing functionality via separate
process-space as we move into ubiquitous multicore land.

Thanks for taking the time to try some answers I always have more to
learn about the LD_* variables and dynamic linking.

best regards,

-r.