    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

    Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos, Sep 24, 2005

  2. Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos wrote:
    > I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
    >
    > $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
    > perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
    > $ perldoc perlsec
    > No documentation found for "perlsec".
    > $ perldoc perlsub
    > No documentation found for "perlsub".
    >
    > Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
    > ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
    >
    > Any hint on where to look to correct this?

    What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
    between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
    of perldoc.

    When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
    present and "findable by" perldoc.

    Steve
    --
    Stephen Hildrey
    E-mail: / Tel: +442071931337

    Stephen Hildrey, Sep 24, 2005

  3. On Óáâ, 24 Óåð 2005 at 16:21 GMT, Stephen Hildrey wrote:
    > Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos wrote:
    >> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
    >>
    >> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
    >> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
    >> $ perldoc perlsec
    >> No documentation found for "perlsec".
    >> $ perldoc perlsub
    >> No documentation found for "perlsub".
    >>
    >> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
    >> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
    >>
    >> Any hint on where to look to correct this?

    > What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
    > between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
    > of perldoc.
    >
    > When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
    > present and "findable by" perldoc.
    >
    > Steve

    Thank you Steve for your answer...
    I'm using bash.

    But I've found that:
    1. `man perlsec` is working, while `perldoc perlsec` doesn't
    2. the perlsec.pod is in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod/perlsec.pod and I
    have perl version 5.8.3

    As you said, it must be a misconfiguration and perldoc doesn't know
    where to look for pod files (except for 5.8.3).

    (after some thought and some reading of the man page of perldoc)

    I've found it! All I had to do was:
    export PERL5LIB="/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/pod:/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod"

    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

    Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos, Sep 24, 2005
  4. "Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos" <> writes:

    > I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
    >
    > $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
    > perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
    > $ perldoc perlsec
    > No documentation found for "perlsec".
    > $ perldoc perlsub
    > No documentation found for "perlsub".
    >
    > Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
    > ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
    >
    > Any hint on where to look to correct this?

    Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
    perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 24, 2005
  5. On Óáâ, 24 Óåð 2005 at 17:11 GMT, Sherm Pendley wrote:
    > "Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos" <> writes:
    >
    >> I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...
    >>
    >> $ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
    >> perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
    >> $ perldoc perlsec
    >> No documentation found for "perlsec".
    >> $ perldoc perlsub
    >> No documentation found for "perlsub".
    >>
    >> Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
    >> ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!
    >>
    >> Any hint on where to look to correct this?

    > Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
    > perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.
    >
    > sherm--

    Ehmmm... actually no... I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
    during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
    is v5.8.1

    I've already solved my problem (see my other message), but I'll look
    also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!

    Thank you,
    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail
    ..

    Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <> wrote:

    > I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
    > during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
    > is v5.8.1

    The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
    so they should have been already upgraded.

    > I'll look
    > also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!

    Try simply finding where it was put when you installed v5.8.3 first.

    --
    Tad McClellan SGML consulting
    Perl programming

    Tad McClellan, Sep 25, 2005
  7. Tad McClellan <> writes:

    > Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <> wrote:
    >
    >> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
    >> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
    >> is v5.8.1

    > The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
    > so they should have been already upgraded.

    They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
    break the docs out into separate optional packages.

    sherm--

    Sherm Pendley, Sep 25, 2005
  8. Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

    Guest

    Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    > Tad McClellan <> writes:

    >> Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos <> wrote:

    >>> I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
    >>> during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
    >>> is v5.8.1

    >> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
    >> so they should have been already upgraded.

    > They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
    > break the docs out into separate optional packages.

    Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

    Axel

    , Sep 25, 2005
  9. :

    >>> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
    >>> so they should have been already upgraded.

    >> They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
    >> break the docs out into separate optional packages.

    > Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

    Ubuntu seems to be another on (as I just found out).
    Ubuntu users can do:

    sudo apt-get install perl-doc

    The same probably works for many other Debian-based Linux distibutions.

    --
    Bertilo Wennergren <http://bertilow.com>

    Bertilo Wennergren, Sep 26, 2005
  10. On Êõñ, 25 Óåð 2005 at 19:35 GMT, wrote:
    > Sherm Pendley <> wrote:
    >> Tad McClellan <> writes:

    >>> The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
    >>> so they should have been already upgraded.

    >> They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
    >> break the docs out into separate optional packages.

    > Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.
    >
    > Axel

    Bingo!
    This is indeed a Mandrake 9.2 system and perl was installed by rpm. I
    upgraded the perl-doc package and now everything is ok again :)

    The good thing was that using PERL5LIB as the docs suggested, worked
    also, but having the same version for the whole package is better
    (and safer).

    Apostolos

    --
    Replace earth.space with gmail.com for a valid e-mail

    Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos, Sep 26, 2005