problem with perldoc

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...

$ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
$ perldoc perlsec
No documentation found for "perlsec".
$ perldoc perlsub
No documentation found for "perlsub".

Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!

Any hint on where to look to correct this?

TIA,
Apostolos

Stephen Hildrey

Apostolos said:
I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...

$ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
$ perldoc perlsec
No documentation found for "perlsec".
$ perldoc perlsub
No documentation found for "perlsub".

Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!

Any hint on where to look to correct this?

What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
of perldoc.

When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
present and "findable by" perldoc.

Steve

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

What shell are you using? I can only think that it's a discrepancy
between the environment of your shell's tab completion engine and that
of perldoc.

When I do perldoc perls<tab><tab> (in zsh) - everything that it lists is
present and "findable by" perldoc.

Steve

Thank you Steve for your answer...
I'm using bash.

But I've found that:
1. `man perlsec` is working, while `perldoc perlsec` doesn't
2. the perlsec.pod is in /usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod/perlsec.pod and I
have perl version 5.8.3

As you said, it must be a misconfiguration and perldoc doesn't know
where to look for pod files (except for 5.8.3).

(after some thought and some reading of the man page of perldoc)

I've found it! All I had to do was:
export PERL5LIB="/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.3/pod:/usr/lib/perl5/5.8.1/pod"

Apostolos

Sherm Pendley

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos said:
I have the following situation and I'm asking for some hint...

$ perldoc perls<TAB><TAB>
perlsec perlsolaris perlstyle perlsub perlsyn
$ perldoc perlsec
No documentation found for "perlsec".
$ perldoc perlsub
No documentation found for "perlsub".

Although when pressing the <TAB> twice I'm getting some choices, when I
ask the documentation for something more specific, I'm getting nothing!

Any hint on where to look to correct this?

Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.

sherm--

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

Do you have multiple Perls installed? Perhaps one Perl is specified in the
perldoc script's #! line, but the shell is finding pods for another one.

sherm--

Ehmmm... actually no... I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
is v5.8.1

I've already solved my problem (see my other message), but I'll look
also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!

Thank you,
Apostolos

Tad McClellan

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos said:
I have only v5.8.3 installed *BUT* (maybe
during the upgrade) I probably forgot to upgrade perl-doc(s), which
is v5.8.1

The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
so they should have been already upgraded.

I'll look
also to the direction of upgrading my perl-doc!

Try simply finding where it was put when you installed v5.8.3 first.

Sherm Pendley

Tad McClellan said:
The perldoc program and the *.pod files are part of a normal install,
so they should have been already upgraded.

They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
break the docs out into separate optional packages.

sherm--

axel

They're part of a normal manual install, but some Linux distributions
break the docs out into separate optional packages.

Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

Axel

Bertilo Wennergren

(e-mail address removed):
Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

Ubuntu seems to be another on (as I just found out).
Ubuntu users can do:

sudo apt-get install perl-doc

The same probably works for many other Debian-based Linux distibutions.

Apostolos P. Tsompanopoulos

Mandrake being one I found out much to my annoyance.

Axel

Bingo!
This is indeed a Mandrake 9.2 system and perl was installed by rpm. I
upgraded the perl-doc package and now everything is ok again :)

The good thing was that using PERL5LIB as the docs suggested, worked
also, but having the same version for the whole package is better
(and safer).

Apostolos