Problem with sending data via the Post method. (URGENT)

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Vishal, Dec 28, 2004.

  1. Vishal

    Vishal Guest

    Hello,

    I already asked this question in the ASP.NET forums,
    but no help came. So I am hoping that somebody can help me
    out. This is really very URGENT me.

    For my e-commerce application, I need to send data from my
    server via the post method to the payment server. The
    payment server does not run asp.net. I dont know what they
    run. The payment server then returns to my server with the
    result in the qs.

    Here is the code, which I use to send the data to the
    server:

    Private Sub Page_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal
    e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
    Dim data() As String =
    {"name=vishal", "Joined=15May2004", "TotalPosts=112"}
    PagePipe("http://www.site.com/file.htm", Data)
    End Sub
    Private Sub PagePipe(ByVal URL As String, ByVal data
    As String())
    Dim HWR As System.Net.HttpWebRequest
    Dim sr As System.IO.StreamReader
    Dim s, sData As String
    Dim enc As System.Text.ASCIIEncoding
    Dim b() As Byte
    ' set up request
    HWR = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Create(URL)
    HWR.Method = "POST"
    For Each s In data
    sData += s + "&"
    Next
    sData = sData.Trim("&")
    enc = New System.Text.ASCIIEncoding()
    b = enc.GetBytes(sData)
    HWR.ContentType = "application/x-www-form-
    urlencoded"
    HWR.ContentLength = b.Length
    HWR.GetRequestStream().Write(b, 0, b.Length)
    ' get response
    Response.Clear()
    Response.Buffer = False
    Response.ContentType = HWR.ContentType
    sr = New System.IO.StreamReader(HWR.GetResponse
    ().GetResponseStream)
    Response.Write(sr.ReadToEnd)
    Response.End()
    End Sub

    The user must login before he can make any purchase. Once
    he has logged in, I store the userid in a session object.
    However when I use the above code, then I am somehow
    loosing the session variable value or it is not
    recognized. Now the return page is a page, which always
    check at the beginning if the user is logged in or not.
    Unfortunaly now the user is redirected to the login.aspx
    instead of the result.aspx. If I do a response.write for
    the userid then it is empty. Can somebody see why this is
    happens and how it can be avoided?

    Thanks in advance

    Vishal, Dec 28, 2004

  2. Hi,

    Does your site require your user to login everytime they open a new browser?
    Are you using Forms Authentication? If so then in your application there is
    a call somewhere to SetAuthCookie(). Set the final parameter to True:

    FormsAuthentication.SetAuthCookie(txtUserName, True)

    Now give it a try. Does it work? If so then when your e-commerce server
    passes back to you would need to pass back their credentials in order to log
    them in. In order to make it more secure you should pass back and ID with
    which you can then retrieve their credentials and re-log them in. I think.
    I'm not exactly sure how things are working. Could post more information?
    From your code it doesn't even appear they are leaving your server so I
    can't imagine why they are losing Session. This was just a wild guess.
    Good luck! Ken.

    --
    Ken Dopierala Jr.
    For great ASP.Net web hosting try:

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Dec 28, 2004

  3. Vishal

    Vishal Guest

    I am using a simple session authentication. User enters
    login and pw which I compare with my database. Once he has
    entered the correct value, I store the userid in the
    session object, which indicates that he is logged in.

    Thanks for your interest. Please let me know if you need
    any other information. I really need to solve this issue.

    your server so I

    Vishal, Dec 28, 2004
  4. Hi,

    Okay, let's narrow this down. In your page load event you are posting to
    your ecommerce server. By the time it gets back to your user they have lost
    their session? I don't see what is happening. Comment out your entire page
    load event and do a response.write(sessionvalue). Do they still have their
    session? If so, process your ecommerce request. But instead of sending
    back everything you receive in your response.writes just do a
    response.write(sessionvalue). If you still have access to the session then
    it is your response.writes that send back the entire response you get from
    the ecommerce server that is causing you the problems. Hopefully someone
    else has experience with this and can just tell you what is wrong. What I
    would like to do is have you start commenting out code until you figure out
    where you are losing the session. Once that is figured out we can come up
    with a solution. Good luck! Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Dec 28, 2004
  5. Vishal

    Vishal Guest

    Hi Ken,

    here is what happens after the test. If I send the data
    via the post method and do a response.write of the
    reesponse, then there is no session id. If I call the page
    (result.aspx) directly after the purchase has been done,
    then it still has the session ID. So the problem is that
    the response which I got back from the server doesnt know
    or recognize the session id. Can you please help me out
    here?

    Thanks in advance

    Vishal, Dec 28, 2004
  6. Hi,

    I think the problem is that when you are doing your Post you can't use your
    users session. You would actually be creating an entirely new session.
    When you redirect to result.aspx you are back to using your users session.
    I can't see a way of doing what you are trying to do from the server. With
    my ecommerce sites I send my processor the amount of the purchase and a
    description (usually an Invoice #). I also send the processor two URLs.
    The processor then redirects to one URL upon success and to the other upon
    failure. Once that redirection happens the user is back to using their own
    session on my site.

    All I can think of is after you do your post don't Response.Write the entire
    message to the user. Find what you need in it and then just put that in a
    label or textbox or cell or something. I post to other sites behind the
    scenes all the time to grab information for my user but I don't send back
    the entire contents of that response. For one thing it would mess up my
    ASP.Net Form tag, for another the content type I get back from my post is
    many times not the same content type my user requested my page with in their
    browser. There is a very good chance that by doing what you are doing you
    are messing up not only your Form tag but also possibly your view state and
    if you are using cookieless sessions this could be why you are losing your
    session state. I hope this helps. Good luck! Ken.

    Ken Dopierala Jr., Dec 28, 2004