Problem with simple table inside frame

ohaya

Hi,

I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.
One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.

The problem that I'm running into is that when the page is viewed with IE,
everything looks fine, but, for some reason, it's possible to scroll the
contents of the frame with the table in it, even though we've turned off the
scrollbar.

So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with Netscape
4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

Here's a link to a test page that I set up that demostrates this problem:

http://members.cox.net/ohaya/small.htm

I think that I may've found a way to "disable" this scrolling in IE using an
IE-specific event (onSelectStart), but I'm really kind of puzzled and
curious why this problem is occurring.

The table is pretty simple, set to "100%" for both height and width, so it
should just "fill" the frame.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

Thanks,
Jim

Mark Parnell

Hi,
G'day.

I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
frames")
One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.
http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

You're a) using frames b) using tables for layout c) trying to stop the
users browser from functioning correctly.

Neal

Hi,
Hello.

I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.
One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.

Oh, too bad.
The problem that I'm running into is that when the page is viewed with
IE,
everything looks fine, but, for some reason, it's possible to scroll the
contents of the frame with the table in it, even though we've turned off
the
scrollbar.

Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
content from your users?
So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with
Netscape
4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
with a basic level of brains is using??
Here's a link to a test page that I set up that demostrates this problem:

http://members.cox.net/ohaya/small.htm

I think that I may've found a way to "disable" this scrolling in IE
using an
IE-specific event (onSelectStart), but I'm really kind of puzzled and
curious why this problem is occurring.

Why disable scrolling?
The table is pretty simple, set to "100%" for both height and width, so
it
should just "fill" the frame.

Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

Problems are plentiful. Why a frame design? Why remove the browser's
scroll?

ohaya

Neal said:
Oh, too bad.

Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
content from your users?

And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
with a basic level of brains is using??

Why disable scrolling?

Problems are plentiful. Why a frame design? Why remove the browser's
scroll?

Neal,

Sigh :(...

I can't definitively answer your specific questions, but I'll do the best
that I can.

The page that I linked to was something that I put together to demo the
problem that I'm try to resolve. I think that the intention of the person
who wrote the software for the full page is using the frames in the FRAMESET
to segment the page.

If you look at the page I linked to, the first frame is the top part and is
used as a header. Basically, from what I could tell, that frame has a table
with an image (a logo) in it. The scrollbar was disabled in that frame
(scroll="no") because he didn't want the user to be able to scroll the
header off the page, I guess. Indeed, this kind of worked, in that the
scrollbar is no longer visible on that part of the page, but then, by
clicking on the frame, and dragging the mouse pointer down, the contents of
the frame are still scrolled.

Why would the user be clicking on the header frame you ask? Well, the
design also incorporates several dropdown menus in that same frame, so if
the user just happens to miss the menu and let the mouse slip slightly
lower, the header/logo starts scrolling away. I'm describing this by
memory. Today was the first time that I was asked to look at this.

Anyway, that's about it. Actually, I've kind of got a solution, but as I
think I indicated, the problem has gotten my curiousity. I can't understand
why a table that supposedly fills 100% of the frame can still be scrolled.
Seems like a possible bug in IE.

As to why NS 4.79? That's simple. Because that's the version that our
community of users is predominantly still using. Actually, that's not
correct. There are actually still a bunch of them using 4.75 :)!

Later,
Jim

Leonard Blaisdell

Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
content from your users?

And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
with a basic level of brains is using??

I missed the irony in the other group. I apologize and won't forget ;-)

leo