Problem with simple table inside frame

Discussion in 'HTML' started by ohaya, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    Hi,

    I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.
    One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.

    The problem that I'm running into is that when the page is viewed with IE,
    everything looks fine, but, for some reason, it's possible to scroll the
    contents of the frame with the table in it, even though we've turned off the
    scrollbar.

    So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with Netscape
    4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

    Here's a link to a test page that I set up that demostrates this problem:

    http://members.cox.net/ohaya/small.htm

    I think that I may've found a way to "disable" this scrolling in IE using an
    IE-specific event (onSelectStart), but I'm really kind of puzzled and
    curious why this problem is occurring.

    The table is pretty simple, set to "100%" for both height and width, so it
    should just "fill" the frame.

    Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

    Thanks,
    Jim
    ohaya, Apr 21, 2004

  2. ohaya

    Mark Parnell Guest

    On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:41:43 -0400, "ohaya"
    <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> declared in alt.html:

    > Hi,

    G'day.

    > I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.

    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/l_vajzovic/tom/web/frames.html
    http://dorward.me.uk/www/frames/
    http://www.google.com/webmasters/2.html (see under "Your page uses
    frames")

    http://www.allmyfaqs.com/faq.pl?Tableless_layouts

    > Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

    You're a) using frames b) using tables for layout c) trying to stop the
    users browser from functioning correctly.

    --
    Mark Parnell
    http://www.clarkecomputers.com.au
    Mark Parnell, Apr 21, 2004

  3. ohaya

    brucie Guest

    in post: <news:Y3mhc.9290$55.2338@lakeread02>
    "ohaya" <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> said:

    > Hi,

    g'day

    > I have an HTML page

    i know

    What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html

    --
    b r u c i e
    brucie, Apr 21, 2004
  4. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    "brucie" <> wrote in message
    > in post: <news:Y3mhc.9290$55.2338@lakeread02>
    > "ohaya" <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net> said:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > g'day
    >
    > > I have an HTML page

    > i know
    >
    > What is the accepted way to share a message across multiple newsgroups?
    > http://smjg.port5.com/faqs/usenet/xpost.html
    >

    > --
    > b r u c i e

    Sorry. Didn't find this NG until after the original post, so it was too
    late :(...

    Jim
    ohaya, Apr 21, 2004
  5. ohaya

    Neal Guest

    wrote:

    > Hi,

    Hello.

    > I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.
    > One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.

    Oh, too bad.

    > The problem that I'm running into is that when the page is viewed with
    > IE,
    > everything looks fine, but, for some reason, it's possible to scroll the
    > contents of the frame with the table in it, even though we've turned off
    > the
    > scrollbar.

    Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
    content from your users?

    > So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with
    > Netscape
    > 4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

    And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
    with a basic level of brains is using??

    > Here's a link to a test page that I set up that demostrates this problem:
    >
    > http://members.cox.net/ohaya/small.htm
    >
    > I think that I may've found a way to "disable" this scrolling in IE
    > using an
    > IE-specific event (onSelectStart), but I'm really kind of puzzled and
    > curious why this problem is occurring.

    Why disable scrolling?

    > The table is pretty simple, set to "100%" for both height and width, so
    > it
    > should just "fill" the frame.
    >
    > Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

    Problems are plentiful. Why a frame design? Why remove the browser's
    scroll?
    Neal, Apr 21, 2004
  6. ohaya

    ohaya Guest

    "Neal" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:41:43 -0400, ohaya <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net>
    > wrote:
    >
    > > Hi,

    > Hello.
    >
    > > I have an HTML page that has a single FRAMESET and several FRAMEs on it.
    > > One of the FRAMEs contains a page with a table in it.

    > Oh, too bad.
    >
    > > The problem that I'm running into is that when the page is viewed with
    > > IE,
    > > everything looks fine, but, for some reason, it's possible to scroll the
    > > contents of the frame with the table in it, even though we've turned off
    > > the
    > > scrollbar.

    > Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
    > content from your users?
    >
    > > So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with
    > > Netscape
    > > 4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

    > And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
    > with a basic level of brains is using??
    >
    > > Here's a link to a test page that I set up that demostrates this

    problem:

    > > http://members.cox.net/ohaya/small.htm
    > >
    > > I think that I may've found a way to "disable" this scrolling in IE
    > > using an
    > > IE-specific event (onSelectStart), but I'm really kind of puzzled and
    > > curious why this problem is occurring.

    > Why disable scrolling?
    >
    > > The table is pretty simple, set to "100%" for both height and width, so
    > > it
    > > should just "fill" the frame.
    > >
    > > Can anyone suggest what the problem is (and how to fix it)?

    > Problems are plentiful. Why a frame design? Why remove the browser's
    > scroll?

    Neal,

    Sigh :(...

    I can't definitively answer your specific questions, but I'll do the best
    that I can.

    The page that I linked to was something that I put together to demo the
    problem that I'm try to resolve. I think that the intention of the person
    who wrote the software for the full page is using the frames in the FRAMESET
    to segment the page.

    If you look at the page I linked to, the first frame is the top part and is
    used as a header. Basically, from what I could tell, that frame has a table
    with an image (a logo) in it. The scrollbar was disabled in that frame
    (scroll="no") because he didn't want the user to be able to scroll the
    header off the page, I guess. Indeed, this kind of worked, in that the
    scrollbar is no longer visible on that part of the page, but then, by
    clicking on the frame, and dragging the mouse pointer down, the contents of
    the frame are still scrolled.

    Why would the user be clicking on the header frame you ask? Well, the
    design also incorporates several dropdown menus in that same frame, so if
    the user just happens to miss the menu and let the mouse slip slightly
    lower, the header/logo starts scrolling away. I'm describing this by
    memory. Today was the first time that I was asked to look at this.

    Anyway, that's about it. Actually, I've kind of got a solution, but as I
    think I indicated, the problem has gotten my curiousity. I can't understand
    why a table that supposedly fills 100% of the frame can still be scrolled.
    Seems like a possible bug in IE.

    As to why NS 4.79? That's simple. Because that's the version that our
    community of users is predominantly still using. Actually, that's not
    correct. There are actually still a bunch of them using 4.75 :)!

    Later,
    Jim
    ohaya, Apr 21, 2004
  7. In article <>, Neal <> wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:41:43 -0400, ohaya <ohaya_NO_SPAM@NO_SPAM_cox.net>
    > wrote:

    > Why the **** did you take away the scrollbar? Are you purposely hiding the
    > content from your users?
    >
    > > So far, it seems like this is a problem with IE. I've tested with
    > > Netscape
    > > 4.79, and that doesn't seem to have this problem.

    > And why (the ****) are you testing with such an old browser that anyone
    > with a basic level of brains is using??

    I missed the irony in the other group. I apologize and won't forget ;-)

    leo

    --
    <http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
    Leonard Blaisdell, Apr 21, 2004