Problem with smtplib: 550 'Administrative prohibition'

Wayne Pierce

I have a script that checks a POP3 mailbox and sends the emails to
different people based upon some settings. For some reason my script
cannot send any emails, the error I am getting is:

reply: '550 Administrative prohibition\r\n'
reply: retcode (550); Msg: Administrative prohibition
data: (550, 'Administrative prohibition')
send: 'rset\r\n'
reply: '250 Reset OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: Reset OK

The only post on GG I could find says this may be caused by a conflict
with Sendmail[1]. Does anyone know if this is true? Even better,
does anyone know a way around this? The machine this is running on is
hosted, so I cannot remove Sendmail or make any system-wide changes.
:(

Thanks for any help,

Wayne

[1] http://groups.google.com/groups?q='...n.*&selm=exrsc.16505$SQ2.3515@edtnps89&rnum=1

Daren Russell

Wayne said:
I have a script that checks a POP3 mailbox and sends the emails to
different people based upon some settings. For some reason my script
cannot send any emails, the error I am getting is:

reply: '550 Administrative prohibition\r\n'
reply: retcode (550); Msg: Administrative prohibition
data: (550, 'Administrative prohibition')
send: 'rset\r\n'
reply: '250 Reset OK\r\n'
reply: retcode (250); Msg: Reset OK

The only post on GG I could find says this may be caused by a conflict
with Sendmail[1]. Does anyone know if this is true? Even better,
does anyone know a way around this? The machine this is running on is
hosted, so I cannot remove Sendmail or make any system-wide changes.
:(

Thanks for any help,

Wayne

[1]
[http://groups.google.com/groups?q='Administrative+prohibition'+
smtplib+group:comp.lang.python.*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.
python.*&selm=exrsc.16505%24SQ2.3515%40edtnps89&rnum=1

It sounds like the SMTP server thinks you are trying to relay the email
(i.e. you're not actually authorised to use it) This could be down to
having to use SMTP-AUTH to send via that server, or it could be the server
only accepts connections from within its dial-up pool and you are sending
from outside this.

Basically, it's more likely down to the way you are accessing the server
rather than smtplib itself (your code may be giving a bad from address
during the smtp session for example)

HTH
Daren