Problem with smtplib: 550 'Administrative prohibition'

Discussion in 'Python' started by Wayne Pierce, Jun 2, 2004.

  1. Wayne Pierce

    Wayne Pierce Guest

    I have a script that checks a POP3 mailbox and sends the emails to
    different people based upon some settings. For some reason my script
    cannot send any emails, the error I am getting is:

    reply: '550 Administrative prohibition\r\n'
    reply: retcode (550); Msg: Administrative prohibition
    data: (550, 'Administrative prohibition')
    send: 'rset\r\n'
    reply: '250 Reset OK\r\n'
    reply: retcode (250); Msg: Reset OK

    The only post on GG I could find says this may be caused by a conflict
    with Sendmail[1]. Does anyone know if this is true? Even better,
    does anyone know a way around this? The machine this is running on is
    hosted, so I cannot remove Sendmail or make any system-wide changes.
    :(

    Thanks for any help,

    Wayne

    [1] http://groups.google.com/groups?q='...n.*&selm=exrsc.16505$SQ2.3515@edtnps89&rnum=1
    Wayne Pierce, Jun 2, 2004

  2. Wayne Pierce wrote:

    > I have a script that checks a POP3 mailbox and sends the emails to
    > different people based upon some settings. For some reason my script
    > cannot send any emails, the error I am getting is:
    >
    > reply: '550 Administrative prohibition\r\n'
    > reply: retcode (550); Msg: Administrative prohibition
    > data: (550, 'Administrative prohibition')
    > send: 'rset\r\n'
    > reply: '250 Reset OK\r\n'
    > reply: retcode (250); Msg: Reset OK
    >
    > The only post on GG I could find says this may be caused by a conflict
    > with Sendmail[1]. Does anyone know if this is true? Even better,
    > does anyone know a way around this? The machine this is running on is
    > hosted, so I cannot remove Sendmail or make any system-wide changes.
    > :(
    >
    > Thanks for any help,
    >
    > Wayne
    >
    > [1]
    > [http://groups.google.com/groups?q='Administrative prohibition'
    >smtplib+group:comp.lang.python.*&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=comp.lang.
    >python.*&selm=exrsc.16505%24SQ2.3515%40edtnps89&rnum=1

    It sounds like the SMTP server thinks you are trying to relay the email
    (i.e. you're not actually authorised to use it) This could be down to
    having to use SMTP-AUTH to send via that server, or it could be the server
    only accepts connections from within its dial-up pool and you are sending
    from outside this.

    Basically, it's more likely down to the way you are accessing the server
    rather than smtplib itself (your code may be giving a bad from address
    during the smtp session for example)

    HTH
    Daren
    Daren Russell, Jun 2, 2004