Problem with Sothink dHtml menu

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sturkel said:
I made a menu with dhtml menu wich is working well,

For you perhaps. My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
so all I see is a blank page. Consider that ~10% of your visitors will
have JavaScript disabled, and thus no way to navigate your site.

That is like turning off your web server for a month every year.

sturkel

My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
content.

And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

Michael Fesser

..oO(sturkel)
Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
content.

It is a technical problem of the website.
And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

Both are entirely optional, that's the point. Relying on an optional
technology to make a website work is not really the best idea. So it
_is_ the problem of the "designer" who didn't understand the Web.

Micha

Bernhard Sturm

sturkel said:
Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
content.

And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

Open your mind: ever heard of 'accessibility'? Don't think in graphical
UA only. Believe me: here in Switzerland we have 9% of users who use
mobile UAs. And they have very poor JS support and no CSS support.
Another target-group are handicapped people: try to navigate your menu
with the keyboard only. You really have to rethink your solution if you
are going to take this business seriously.

HTH
bernhard

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

sturkel said:
Beauregard T. Shagnasty said:
My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
[and you have no menu.]

Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
content.

No, it is not a problem of my company. JavaScript is disabled for
security reasons, as there is malicious JavaScript floating 'round the
web. Many home users disable it as well, as JavaScript is the single
most reason for causing unwanted popup windows.

And I do not mean *just* *my* company. This is not terribly uncommon.
And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

You as the designer should be interested in whether or not you really
want your boss to lose 10% of his annual sales. Are you comfortable with
that? What is 10% of a million dollars? Why, that is a hundred thousand
dollars! Can you and the boss stand the loss?

CSS, on the other hand, is _not_ a script; it is just text. It cannot do
anything except enhance your pages. But you should still test to see if
they are functional without it. I'd recommend testing with the OffByOne
browser.
http://offbyone.com/

I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.
The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

The case was rested long ago. The rule of thumb is never use JavaScript
for anything critical. Such as navigation.

Bergamot

Beauregard said:
I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there that
are more usable with CSS disabled.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

Bergamot said:
As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there
that are more usable with CSS disabled.

Well, yes that is true. <g> Designed by incompetents who don't have
multiple browsers, nor know how to test.