    This link is the 'working' version: http://www.noormannen.nl/test.html
    This one the wrong: http://www.noormannen.nl/test.php
    The 'sponsoren' and 'links' submenu's are the problem.

    sturkel, Aug 22, 2007

  2. sturkel wrote:

    > I made a menu with dhtml menu wich is working well,

    For you perhaps. My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
    so all I see is a blank page. Consider that ~10% of your visitors will
    have JavaScript disabled, and thus no way to navigate your site.

    That is like turning off your web server for a month every year.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 22, 2007

  3. sturkel

    sturkel Guest

    On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    <> wrote:
    > My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

    Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
    content.

    And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
    so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

    The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

    sturkel, Aug 22, 2007
  4. ..oO(sturkel)

    >On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    ><> wrote:
    >>
    >> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

    >Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
    >content.

    It is a technical problem of the website.

    >And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
    >so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

    Both are entirely optional, that's the point. Relying on an optional
    technology to make a website work is not really the best idea. So it
    _is_ the problem of the "designer" who didn't understand the Web.

    Micha

    Michael Fesser, Aug 22, 2007
  5. sturkel wrote:
    > On 22 aug, 18:36, "Beauregard T. Shagnasty"
    > <> wrote:
    >> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,

    > Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
    > content.
    >
    > And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
    > so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

    Open your mind: ever heard of 'accessibility'? Don't think in graphical
    UA only. Believe me: here in Switzerland we have 9% of users who use
    mobile UAs. And they have very poor JS support and no CSS support.
    Another target-group are handicapped people: try to navigate your menu
    with the keyboard only. You really have to rethink your solution if you
    are going to take this business seriously.

    HTH
    bernhard

    --
    www.daszeichen.ch
    remove nixspam to reply

    Bernhard Sturm, Aug 22, 2007
  6. sturkel wrote:

    > "Beauregard T. Shagnasty" wrote:
    >> My company strips JavaScript at the corporate firewall,
    >> [and you have no menu.]

    > Thats a problem of your company, not a technical problem of the
    > content.

    No, it is not a problem of my company. JavaScript is disabled for
    security reasons, as there is malicious JavaScript floating 'round the
    web. Many home users disable it as well, as JavaScript is the single
    most reason for causing unwanted popup windows.

    And I do not mean *just* *my* company. This is not terribly uncommon.

    > And why would you disable JS of CSS, both are legal script languages,
    > so if you disable it, it's not the problem of the 'designer'.

    You as the designer should be interested in whether or not you really
    want your boss to lose 10% of his annual sales. Are you comfortable with
    that? What is 10% of a million dollars? Why, that is a hundred thousand
    dollars! Can you and the boss stand the loss?

    CSS, on the other hand, is _not_ a script; it is just text. It cannot do
    anything except enhance your pages. But you should still test to see if
    they are functional without it. I'd recommend testing with the OffByOne
    browser.
    http://offbyone.com/

    I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

    > The case will rest...Can anyone give a solution?

    The case was rested long ago. The rule of thumb is never use JavaScript
    for anything critical. Such as navigation.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 22, 2007
  7. sturkel

    Bergamot Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:

    > I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

    As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there that
    are more usable with CSS disabled.

    --
    Berg

    Bergamot, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Bergamot wrote:

    > Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    >> I did not say I disable CSS. There is no reason to do that.

    > As a general rule, no, but there are plenty of web pages out there
    > that are more usable with CSS disabled.

    Well, yes that is true. <g> Designed by incompetents who don't have
    multiple browsers, nor know how to test.

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Aug 22, 2007