Problem with Source Code Control and ASP.NET Web Deployment project

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Leo Violette, May 7, 2009.

  1. Leo Violette

    Leo Violette Guest

    I'm using VS 2008 SP1
    My Web site uses an ASP.NET Web Application and an ASP.NET Web Service.
    I've added deployment projects for them.
    For some reason, every time the deployment project builds, it's updating the
    package code inside the vdproj file.

    This works fine if I have that file checked out.

    But, our build machine chokes on it because an error message pops up:
    "The command you are attempting cannot be completed because the file
    'MyWebAppSetup.vdproj' is under source code control and is not checked out."

    It's attempting to update the "Package Code" inside of the vdproj file.

    Why does it want to update this with every build? Can I turn that
    off?

    Leo.

    Leo Violette, May 7, 2009

  2. Re: Problem with Source Code Control and ASP.NET Web Deploymentproject

    On May 7, 8:38 pm, "Leo Violette" <> wrote:
    > I'm using VS 2008 SP1
    > My Web site uses an ASP.NET Web Application and an ASP.NET Web Service.
    > I've added deployment projects for them.
    > For some reason, every time the deployment project builds, it's updating the
    > package code inside the vdproj file.
    >
    > This works fine if I have that file checked out.
    >
    > But, our build machine chokes on it because an error message pops up:
    > "The command you are attempting cannot be completed because the file
    > 'MyWebAppSetup.vdproj' is under source code control and is not checked out."
    >
    > It's attempting to update the "Package Code" inside of the vdproj file.
    >
    > Why does it want to update this with every build?  Can I turn that
    > off?
    >
    > Leo.

    Please look at the following post
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/fo...l/thread/e39046b7-202a-4bdf-abe4-507ebd078d44

    Hope this helps

    Alexey Smirnov, May 8, 2009

  3. Leo Violette

    Leo Violette Guest

    Thanks for the link.

    So, it sounds to me like the process should be:
    Start automated build.
    Have automated build check out the vdproj file
    Build the Setup project.
    Have automated build check back in the vdproj file.

    It appears this is necessary because if you don't (make the vdproj writable
    and not check it in), then
    the newer install image may not install over the prior install image?

    Is my understanding correct? This is probably easy to test.

    Too bad if this is the case, the number of revisions on the vdproj will grow
    quite fast.

    Leo Violette, May 9, 2009