Problem with system command

Vic Russell

Hi,

I am launching an external program as follows (Windows XP OS):-

system 'start', 'notepad.exe';

If I shutdown my program whilst leavin (in this case) Notepad running and
restart it again it exhibits strange behaviour. If I shut down Notepad
before running the program again, all is OK. It is a little difficult to
describe the "strange behaviour" here (it would take a lot of text) but my
simple question is; how do I completely disassociate the system launched
application from my program in order to avoid this problem?

Regards,

Vic

Vic Russell

Hi Michele,

I only used Notepad as a specific example. Actually we are using a document
differencing program but it was significant that Notepad caused the same
symptoms.
Michele Dondi said:
If I shutdown my program whilst leavin (in this case) Notepad running and
restart it again it exhibits strange behaviour. If I shut down Notepad
before running the program again, all is OK. It is a little difficult to
describe the "strange behaviour" here (it would take a lot of text) but my

Yet, it would be interesting to know what it is. By any chance, may
this be an instance of the infamous unicode bug also described on np's
page @ Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Notepad#Unicode_detection

?
simple question is; how do I completely disassociate the system launched
application from my program in order to avoid this problem?

I think some Win32 specific module would be a better bet.

Michele
.'KYU;*EVH[.FHF2W+#"\Z*5TI/ER<Z`S(G.DZZ9OX0Z')=~/./g)x2,$_,