Problem with the console on the new python.org site

Pierre Quentel

The new home page of python.org is very nice, congratulations !

But there is a problem with the online console provided by PythonAnywhere : with my azerty keyboard, I can't enter characters such as ) or ] - very annoying !

It this going to be fixed soon ?

- Pierre

Steven D'Aprano

The new home page of python.org is very nice, congratulations !

The best I can say about it is that I'm extremely underwhelmed by the
design, which is far more "busy" and colourful than the old design (this
is not a complement), and not happy that it doesn't work correctly
without Javascript.

But there is a problem with the online console provided by
PythonAnywhere : with my azerty keyboard, I can't enter characters such
as ) or ] - very annoying !

It this going to be fixed soon ?

Not unless somebody raises it as a bug, or uses the feedback form to
notify the web developers.

Pierre Quentel

Le lundi 24 février 2014 14:19:12 UTC+1, Jean-Michel Pichavant a écrit :
The best I can say about it is that I'm extremely underwhelmed by the
design, which is far more "busy" and colourful than the old design
(this
is not a complement), and not happy that it doesn't work correctly
without Javascript.

Steven, you must have been the grumpy smurf in another life ;)
But there is a problem with the online console provided by
PythonAnywhere : with my azerty keyboard, I can't enter characters
such
as ) or ] - very annoying !

I have an azerty keyboard and it works just fine, your problem must be something else.

It seems to depend on the browser. I had the problem with Firefox 27.0.1 onWindows XP ; the link "Feedback" didn't work with this browser, this is why I posted here

With Chrome 33.0.1750.117 m and Opera 12.12 the characters are recognised

I reported the issue on the feedback form, and discovered it was already known by the PythonAnywhere team (https://www.pythonanywhere.com/forums/topic/213/). Hope it will be fixed quickly, it doesn't give a good impression for newcomers to Python whose first contact with the language is this console