Problem with too many onmouseout events

Jean-Guy Mouton

Hello,

I downloaded a tooltip system where the tooltip shows at the bottom
right of the browser window when a link is hovered.

My problem is that sometimes the tooltip div comes on top of the link
and the tooltip blinks as a result because too many onmouseout event are
triggered.

How can I solve this problem?

Thank you.

David Mark

Hello,

I downloaded a tooltip system where the tooltip shows at the bottom

What tooltip system?
right of the browser window when a link is hovered.

That's an odd place for a tooltip.
My problem is that sometimes the tooltip div comes on top of the link
and the tooltip blinks as a result because too many onmouseout event are
triggered.

How can I solve this problem?

Stop using it. Try the title attribute as most browsers automatically
turn its value into a tooltip.

David Mark

This one: http://home.arcor.de/xbo/title-to-note/

The tooltip does not hide the text, which is a better idea IMO.

Neither does a standard tooltip.
No I want to change the default appearance of tooltips so that they do
not clash with my site colours.

You don't want to use that script. It wipes out the title attributes
so that it can replace the standard tooltips with faux tooltips that
apparently don't work very well. There are accessibility issues to
consider as well. Title attributes are not there to produce
tooltips. Tooltips are just a side effect of most browsers.

Furthermore, users don't expect tooltips to match your site colors or
appear at the bottom of the page. Your best bet is to forget the
whole thing.

Jean-Guy Mouton

David said:
I see it, but I fail to see what it has to do with my comment.

It's just that you say title attributes are not there to produce
tooltips but there is nothing that says so on the W3C website.

David Mark

It's just that you say title attributes are not there to produce
tooltips but there is nothing that says so on the W3C website.

The specification describes what their purpose is, not what it is not.

Jean-Guy Mouton

David said:
The specification describes what their purpose is, not what it is not.
What they say is (excerpt): "Values of the title attribute may be
rendered by user agents in a variety of ways. For instance, visual
browsers frequently display the title as a "tool tip"."

To me, it is clear that the W3C does not say anything about what
designers must do or must not do as regards the title attribute. So
when you say "Title attributes are not there to produce tooltips" (see
above) on what ground do you base your opinion?

David Mark

What they say is (excerpt): "Values of the title attribute may be
rendered by user agents in a variety of ways. For instance, visual
browsers frequently display the title as a "tool tip"."

I know it says that. You missed my point.
To me, it is clear that the W3C does not say anything about what
designers must do or must not do as regards the title attribute. So
when you say "Title attributes are not there to produce tooltips" (see
above) on what ground do you base your opinion?

The purpose of a link's title attribute is not to produce a tooltip.
It is to provide additional information about the link's function.
Clients may display it in a tooltip, speak it aloud, display it in a
dialog that lists every link on the page, etc. The script you are
using wipes out the attribute to display it in a div, which assumes
that the purpose of the attribute was to produce a tooltip. This is a
bad assumption and the document you cite says nothing to contradict
that.