Problem with UNC mapping

Chris

Some of our customers are having a problem with using a UNC with a File
object.

File file = new File("\\\\mycomputer\\share\\myfile.txt");
file.exists() --> true

This works fine if "mycomputer" is the local computer. It fails if it's a
computer across the network, even though that same UNC works fine in other
apps.

I can't duplicate the problem on our all-Windows network. A number of our
customers, though, have reported the problem on their networks. In some
cases the client machine is Windows and the remote machine is some form of
Unix, although one customer reported it in a Windows-toWindows environment.

Has anyone seen this before?