Problem with virtual destructor

ZikO

Hi

What's wrong with this code? Why can't I compile this?
I have created a virtual destructor in one of my code in a base class to
be sure objects of all derived classes would be destroyed. However, the
compiler says "no" with this comments:

C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccLAUiQR.o:test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN1BD2Ev[B::~B()]+0x17):
undefined reference to `A::~A()'
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccLAUiQR.o:test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN1BD0Ev[B::~B()]+0x17):
undefined reference to `A::~A()'
C:\DOCUME~1\User\LOCALS~1\Temp/ccLAUiQR.o:test2.cpp:(.text$_ZN1BD1Ev[B::~B()]+0x17):
undefined reference to `A::~A()'
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

This is a simple code which roughly represents the problem:

// code
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
class A {
public:
virtual ~A() = 0;
};
class B : public A {};
class C : public B {};
class D : public C {};

int main(int argc, char *argv[])
{
D d;
A &a = d;
return 0;
}
// end of code

Without lines in main everything compiles successfully.

Best

ZikO

Thanks Jeff. That's clear and should be obvious for me that without the
destructor the object can't be initiated. I can keep the destructor not
to be pure virtual. Just wanted to know why it's happened.

BTW what is the purpose of having pure virtual destructor

class A {
virtual ~A() = 0;
};

and then definition of it outside the class?

A::~A() {}

Regards.

ZikO

Thanks Jeff. That's clear and should be obvious for me that without the
destructor the object can't be instantiated. I can keep the non-pure
virtual destructor. I simply wanted to know why it's happened.

BTW what is the purpose of having pure virtual destructor

class A {
virtual ~A() = 0;
};

and then definition of it outside the class?

A::~A() {}

Regards.

ZikO

Jeff said:
For reasons that escape me, C++ syntax doesn't allow pure virtual
function definitions in the class definition.

Right. It makes sens. thanks =)

Regards.

ZikO

Jeff said:
> For reasons that escape me, C++ syntax doesn't allow pure virtual
function definitions in the class definition.

Right.
It looks like the tricks to freak the compiler out. You are defining an
abstract class with a pure virtual destructor but simultaneously
"giving" it your own definition of such destructor to avoid the compiler
to do it for you.

It makes sens. thanks =)

Kaz Kylheku

Hi

What's wrong with this code? Why can't I compile this?
I have created a virtual destructor in one of my code in a base class to

You have? Prove it. Where is the body of this function you have created?
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
class A {
public:
virtual ~A() = 0;
};
class B : public A {};
class C : public B {};
class D : public C {};

I can't see it.

ZikO

Kaz said:
class to

> You have? Prove it. Where is the body of this function you have created?

You cannot find the body of this function.
Do I really have to explain why? Isn't it really obvious?

> I can't see it.

I really do not know the point of your comments. Here we are after
almost 2 hours when everything was explained. How about reading other
posts and trying to add something really useful if there is anything else?

Regards

Rolf Magnus

ZikO said:
Thanks Jeff. That's clear and should be obvious for me that without the
destructor the object can't be instantiated. I can keep the non-pure
virtual destructor. I simply wanted to know why it's happened.

BTW what is the purpose of having pure virtual destructor

class A {
virtual ~A() = 0;
};

and then definition of it outside the class?

A::~A() {}

Making the destructor pure virtual instead of just virtual has the same
effects as it has for normal member functions:

- you force derived classes to explicitly define a destructor
- your base class becomes abstract

Ike Naar

Making the destructor pure virtual instead of just virtual has the same
effects as it has for normal member functions:

- you force derived classes to explicitly define a destructor

No. See below.
- your base class becomes abstract

True.

The derived class need not explicitly define a destructor.
If it doesn't, the compiler automatically creates a default
destructor for it.

You must however (as has been mentioned earlier in this thread)
provide a definition for the base class constructor, even if it's
declared pure virtual.

class Base {
public:
virtual ~Base() = 0;
};

Base::~Base() {} /* although pure virtual, definition must be provided */

class Derived : public Base {
/* no explicit destructor needed */
};

int main()
{
Derived x; /* instantiate a Derived object, no problem */
return 0;
}

If you omit the definition for ~Base, there will be a problem at
link time, no matter if you define ~Derived explicitly or not.