PROBLEMS : session timing out / login multiple times

Discussion in 'ASP .Net Web Services' started by VSK, Sep 30, 2003.

  1. VSK

    VSK Guest

    Hi all,

    In our company we use sticky IP to make sure that everybody always returns
    to the machine where their Session was started.

    We have a webfarm of 2 webservers.

    Can we use Inproc for session state.

    After we deployed the application into new environment we are facing
    problems like

    1) session times out very fast.
    2) sometimes we have to login multiple times(infact 3 times) to enter the
    application.

    we have no idea why this is happening .

    Any suggestions will be helpful.

    TIA
    VSK

    VSK, Sep 30, 2003

  2. If you have a webfarm then you need to change the mode of your
    <sessionState> to either StateServer or SQLServer. Considering your
    problem, I suspect that the user might be getting stuck to one of the two
    farms, and not one of the four servers. InProc will only work if they get
    stuck to the same server each time.

    Michael

    "VSK" <> wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > In our company we use sticky IP to make sure that everybody always returns
    > to the machine where their Session was started.
    >
    > We have a webfarm of 2 webservers.
    >
    > Can we use Inproc for session state.
    >
    > After we deployed the application into new environment we are facing
    > problems like
    >
    > 1) session times out very fast.
    > 2) sometimes we have to login multiple times(infact 3 times) to enter the
    > application.
    >
    > we have no idea why this is happening .
    >
    > Any suggestions will be helpful.
    >
    > TIA
    > VSK

    ---

    Michael Pearson, Sep 30, 2003

  3. VSK

    VSK Guest

    what do u mean by : "user might be getting stuck to one of the two farms,
    and not one of the four servers. "

    we have a just 1 webfarm with 2 webservers and we dont have 4 servers.
    Our client do not want to set up extra servers as state server/sqlserver for
    just maintaining sessions.
    So infrastructure ppl are using sticky IP.
    Infrastructure people are handling loadbalancing in such a way that:
    " if user1 hits ws1 for the first time then his requests will be served
    from the ws1 all the time."
    So we thought we can use Inproc. But it is not behaving as expected.

    VSK, Oct 2, 2003
  4. If you cant cut out the sessions on your web services which is recommended
    for performance and scalability reasons, you might want to try some hack
    around it with Session-Aware Load Balancing from the application side

    here is a read
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnasp/html/aspwsm.asp

    hth

    --
    Thank you very much

    Warmest Regards,
    Softwaremaker (WilliamT)
    Software Architect

    +++++++++++++++++++

    "VSK" <> wrote in message
    > what do u mean by : "user might be getting stuck to one of the two farms,
    > and not one of the four servers. "
    >
    > we have a just 1 webfarm with 2 webservers and we dont have 4 servers.
    > Our client do not want to set up extra servers as state server/sqlserver

    for
    > just maintaining sessions.
    > So infrastructure ppl are using sticky IP.
    > Infrastructure people are handling loadbalancing in such a way that:
    > " if user1 hits ws1 for the first time then his requests will be served
    > from the ws1 all the time."
    > So we thought we can use Inproc. But it is not behaving as expected.
    >
    > 1) session times out very fast.
    > 2) sometimes we have to login multiple times(infact 3 times) to enter the
    > application.
    >

    > "Michael Pearson" <> wrote in

    message

    Softwaremaker, Oct 2, 2003