Problems using both Server.Transfer & Response.Redirect

Microsoft

Error for Server.Transfer:
Error: Error Executing Child Request
MSDN: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;320439

Says to use Response.Redirect but get this error here:
Error: The resource cannot be found.

I would like to use Server.Transfer as it is a better performer, and need
access to the text box controls from the original page after the page is
directed.

Another question regarding Server.Transfer. Is it safe to use
Request.Form("tbTest") when requesting sensitive information. Is it safer to
put that value into the session state and retrieve from there as an
alternative?

Thanks,

Steve Wofford